Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

passerby

Arcane
Stupid suits !

passerby

Arcane
Yeah, especially if they want that cut RIGHT NOW!!1 Like games, big business should include easy mode for people who don't want to work, improve and satisfy fucking entitled customers. Why we can't just skip to dem dolla bills? Stop ableism!

Except EA, Activision, and others are satysfing normie gamers needs well enough that they were willing to spent 10 minutes to install a client and register an account on yet another service.
Imo industry should concentrate on satysfying gamers needs through games quality well enough, that they want to support them even outside of Steam.
Devs/publishers are Steam clients too, how about Steam stopping playing monopoly easy mode and satysfy their needs too, so they don't find it worthwhile inconveniencing gamers, by starting yet another inferior and unnecessary platform ?

Black Angel

Arcane
They are available to play exclusively through Steam. Borderlands 3 is available to play exclusively through Epic. Different reasons, same outcome. This isn't rocket science you cucks.
Oh God, you're one of those people.

Look, games that still needs Steam to be installed and played, even though they're bought physically is a form of DRM, NOT 'exclusivity', no matter how much you want to twist and turn definition of the word just to justify your hateboner for Steam. When games you bought at your local store suddenly needs Steam to be installed, that's not Steam signing a contract with the devs/publishers for the game to need Steam, that's the devs/publishers utilizing Steam DRM as part of what they could use because they sell their games on Steam.
If you bought a game from somewhere else, a reseller site like Green Man Gaming, and then suddenly it still needs Steam, that's because the game is actually a Steam key that devs/publishers generated for free, and not a single %cut gone to Valve if you buy that key.
Now, if this is really a problem for you, you could always stick to GOG or lookup if the games you want to play is self-published on a devs website, chance are they don't need Steam/GOG and they're DRM-free, but if devs/publishers wants to utilize Steam DRM, why blame Valve for it? You should spat in the devs/publishers face for utilizing DRM at all.

Besides, you completely forget that without Steam many indie games simply wouldn't exists, especially considering GOG has questionable curation system that prevented games mentioned by Jarl Frank (Vigilantes, Grimoire, and Das Geisterschiff) from even getting a release there. Or are you trying to say this is 'exclusivity', and that Steam paid the devs to exclusively release on Steam? Just needing Steam to at least install the games is a necessary lesser evil for these indie games to exists, and it's fine because from my experience they're DRM-free on Steam (Underrail and Age of Decadence can be launched from their .exe in Steam folder just fine, without ever launching Steam). Hell, you need internet connection anyway to download the installers from GOG, and if you're speaking in terms of physical copies....
Yeah I do agree that physical copies requiring an online service to install and activate is pretty damn shit.

You shouldn't be required to activate a key with an account to which that key will then be locked when you purchase a boxed copy. Boxed copies should always be DRM free.
....mind you, indie games mentioned above has zero chance of appearing on a local store in third world country like mine, so, once again, needing Steam to at least install the games is a necessary evil. Yeah, you could simply grab GOG copies of games like Underrail and Age of Decadence, and all will be fine. Still, it's for more """"obscure"""" games like Vigilantes, Grimoire, and Das Geisterschiff that Steam is a literal godsend, for BOTH the devs and the consumers.

passerby

Arcane
The fuck are you on about ? Half, of new Steam games can't be purchased in any other form than as a Steam key, or directly on Steam.
Epic exclusive games are available in physical retail and there are key resellers selling Epic keys and in both cases Epic doesn't get a cut from these sales. It's exactly the same as with Steam exclusive games.

Since Epic cut, unlike with Steam, is smaller than retail/reseller cut, publishers are not interested in throwing unlimited keys on the market, so the availabilty of these keys is small and prices are not attractive, but the possibility to do that is there.

Last edited:

passerby

Arcane
Did Epic forced anyone ? Everyone is free to sell on Epic not exclusive and don't take the sales guarantee deal, if they are offered such a deal at all. Everyone is also free to set the price there smaller than on Steam.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's interesting to view the Epic vs Steam struggle in the context of the narrative of a broader rejection of the Web 2.0 paradigm.

The younger generation that's abandoning the feature-heavy, full-scale social networking platform Facebook in favor of simpler platforms like Instagram, supported by a cadre of left-leaning elites rebelling against the reactionary hordes in the comments section.

Last edited:

Plaguecrafter

Novice
It's interesting to view the Epic vs Steam struggle in the context of a broader rejection of the Web 2.0 paradigm.

The younger generation that's abandoning the feature-heavy, full-scale social networking platform Facebook in favor of simpler platforms like Instagram, supported by a cadre of left-leaning elites rebelling against the reactionary hordes in the comments section.

To be fair, younger generations are leaving Facebook because their parents are on Facebook.

Black Angel

Arcane
Did Epic forced anyone ? Everyone is free to sell on Epic not exclusive and don't take sales guarantee deal, if they are offered such a deal at all. Everyone is also free to set the price there smaller than on Steam.
Same logic to these half new games coming out on Steam. They're free to self-publish on their own website like Pierre Begue did with Knights of the Chalice or try to get in contact with GOG. But is it Steam's fault that GOG rejecting games with their curation system so the game is now only on Steam? Why is it Steam's fault that the devs are either too lazy to make the game playable without Steam, or GOG with their questionable curation system prevented them from releasing their games on GOG?

And if you're talking about physical copies, as far as I know indie devs wouldn't be able to afford manufacture in the long run because it's far, far more expensive and takes larger cut that Steam's 30%.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's interesting to view the Epic vs Steam struggle in the context of a broader rejection of the Web 2.0 paradigm.

To be fair, younger generations are leaving Facebook because their parents are on Facebook.
I heard this argument with my own ears from a younger person, that is actually a real reason. Somehow they see Instagram as a no-Mom zone. At least for now.

passerby

Arcane
Do I complain about games being Steam exclusive ? Nope. Also no one had any incentive not to sell outside of Steam since the cut was the same and yet half of industry does that for the convenience alone.

It's interesting to view the Epic vs Steam struggle in the context of the narrative of a broader rejection of the Web 2.0 paradigm.

It's not that and Epic is loosing this uphill battle, while gamers are on the Steam side. It's just another chapter of game industry vs Steam battle over revenue cut, like Blizzard, Uplay and Origin before.

GrainWetski

Arcane
The fuck are you on about ? Half, of new Steam games can't be purchased in any other form than as a Steam key, or directly on Steam.
Epic exclusive games are available in physical retail and there are key resellers selling Epic keys and in both cases Epic doesn't get a cut from these sales. It's exactly the same as with Steam exclusive games.

Since Epic cut, unlike with Steam, is smaller than retail/reseller cut, publishers are not interested in throwing unlimited keys on the market, so the availabilty of these keys is small and prices are not attractive, but the possibility to do that is there.

pJcmUZp.png

BLdjEit.png

Black Angel

Arcane
Do I complain about games being Steam exclusive ? Nope.
Also, I personally didn't imply that you're, in anyway, """""complaining"""""", at all. It's mildly amusing how you Steam-haters bring up all these problems to paint Steam in bad light, and when people call out on your shit you try to shift your arguments and spew out some stupid bullshit like, "dO 1 c0mPl4iN 4b0uT gAem5 b3in6 5t34M 3xcLooo5iv3 ? nOPe."

I'm merely pointing out all the facts, and apply your logic of "Did Epic forced anyone ? Everyone is free to sell on Epic not exclusive and don't take sales guarantee deal, if they are offered such a deal at all." to these devs releasing half new games coming out only on Steam. They ARE free NOT to sell on Steam, but as you said, why would they? But you missed one important detail about devs not wanting to not sell on Steam. It's not that the cut is the exact same as other stores, but selling on Steam expose their games to a bajillion paying customers.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They are available to play exclusively through Steam. Borderlands 3 is available to play exclusively through Epic. Different reasons, same outcome. This isn't rocket science you cucks.
Oh God, you're one of those people.

Look, games that still needs Steam to be installed and played, even though they're bought physically is a form of DRM, NOT 'exclusivity', no matter how much you want to twist and turn definition of the word just to justify your hateboner for Steam. When games you bought at your local store suddenly needs Steam to be installed, that's not Steam signing a contract with the devs/publishers for the game to need Steam, that's the devs/publishers utilizing Steam DRM as part of what they could use because they sell their games on Steam.
If you bought a game from somewhere else, a reseller site like Green Man Gaming, and then suddenly it still needs Steam, that's because the game is actually a Steam key that devs/publishers generated for free, and not a single %cut gone to Valve if you buy that key.
Now, if this is really a problem for you, you could always stick to GOG or lookup if the games you want to play is self-published on a devs website, chance are they don't need Steam/GOG and they're DRM-free, but if devs/publishers wants to utilize Steam DRM, why blame Valve for it? You should spat in the devs/publishers face for utilizing DRM at all.

Besides, you completely forget that without Steam many indie games simply wouldn't exists, especially considering GOG has questionable curation system that prevented games mentioned by Jarl Frank (Vigilantes, Grimoire, and Das Geisterschiff) from even getting a release there. Or are you trying to say this is 'exclusivity', and that Steam paid the devs to exclusively release on Steam? Just needing Steam to at least install the games is a necessary lesser evil for these indie games to exists, and it's fine because from my experience they're DRM-free on Steam (Underrail and Age of Decadence can be launched from their .exe in Steam folder just fine, without ever launching Steam). Hell, you need internet connection anyway to download the installers from GOG, and if you're speaking in terms of physical copies....
Yeah I do agree that physical copies requiring an online service to install and activate is pretty damn shit.

You shouldn't be required to activate a key with an account to which that key will then be locked when you purchase a boxed copy. Boxed copies should always be DRM free.
....mind you, indie games mentioned above has zero chance of appearing on a local store in third world country like mine, so, once again, needing Steam to at least install the games is a necessary evil. Yeah, you could simply grab GOG copies of games like Underrail and Age of Decadence, and all will be fine. Still, it's for more """"obscure"""" games like Vigilantes, Grimoire, and Das Geisterschiff that Steam is a literal godsend, for BOTH the devs and the consumers.

Also, why I dunno about Vigilantes, I know Grimoire and Geisterschiff are available on itch.io, which is establishing itself as a DRM-free platform for small indies. It carries a bunch of games not available on GoG or even Steam, although their overall quality is lower and it doesn't carry any higher profile games.

It does exist, though, and is a nice alternative for indies who wanna go DRM free without curation.

Despite all the utter shit (cheap RPG Maker games etc) that is dumped on Steam, overall its anything goes philosophy is a good thing for gaming since it allows obscure indies to get their game out to the public.

passerby

Arcane
and Epic is loosing this uphill battle
So what? Why should we care?
The question is not whether you should care about Epic, but whether you should care about smaller cut becoming industry standard, or whether *if* for example Pheonix Point was an ultimate squad tactics game ( it won't be ) should you care about it enough to buy on Epic.
As not an entitled commie retard, I care about latter two hypothetical developments. I don't care much, but I care on principle.

And no, we are not at risk of Epic dominating the market here at all. Epic successfully pressuring Steam into smaller cut would only result in *less* store exclusives in the future and even better standing of PC game market compared to consoles.

Last edited:

passerby

Arcane
If you've ever spent a decade to create a bussiness and produced anything sellable in your life, you would be annoyed about store chain turning more profit from your product than you and would feel "entitled" to seek the most efficient way to put your product on the market.

As an average drone, you're unable to empathise with such position.

Last edited:

Reinhardt

Arcane
Taking money from people and then saying "fuck you, Epic offered us more than you, fags" is scam. And i don't care about scammer struggles. Store should take 99% of profits from them and i still wouldn't care.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
If you've ever spent a decade to create a bussiness and produced anything sellable in your life, you would be annoyed about store chain turning more profit from your product than you and would feel "entitled" to seek the most efficient way to put your product on the market.

Game developers are some of the biggest snowflakes in the world. And most of them complain about their cuts when, quite frankly, they make shit games that would get absolutely no traction in sales without outlets like Steam.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

If you want to make money,own the whole chain! If you own both distribution means and a production,you will make a lot more money than just production. Distribution is pretty parasitic business,but it exist because of time.

passerby

Arcane
I didn't wrote about any particular snowflake, but about principles. Reading comprehension fail.

If someone produced something worth the money and the 20h to spent with it, Epic is not much of an issue, if not then Epic is not an issue at all. Consumerist sheeple that care about Steam store experience more than about the content they purchase there are amusing.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom