Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Haha. I feel so embarrassed for the copy writer.

"Is there any other way I can say this? 'If you've ever shopped online before, you will see that now, after 3 years, our system finally works in a way that you would expect.' I guess I can trim that down a little."

Codex Year of the Donut
Haha. I feel so embarrassed for the copy writer.

"Is there any other way I can say this? 'If you've ever shopped online before, you will see that now, after 3 years, our system finally works in a way that you would expect.' I guess I can trim that down a little."
funny part is the developer part of the store has had a shopping cart for years.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I believe even itt we had people claiming lack of cart is a feature and it is scientifically(tm) proven that it doesn't impact sales. Shame to see the prestigious storefront declining towards lowest common denominator.

Codex Year of the Donut
I believe even itt we had people claiming lack of cart is a feature and it is scientifically(tm) proven that it doesn't impact sales. Shame to see the prestigious storefront declining towards lowest common denominator.
The lack of a cart can't impact sales if nobody ever buys anything on your store.
What are you talking about? This guy called Tim Sweeney has spent millions on buying games for all his friends.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Random steam user:
"Wow,i have bought hundreds of shit indie co op games to play with my friends later."
Some time later:
No tag system to actually see what has co op in your library.

The cart is a small step in the right direction,but the store has just discovered fire while the competition is making a nuclear reactor.

J1M

Arcane
https://archive.is/rhsuZ
Epic has sunk $500M into the Epic Games Store, doesn't expect to make a profit until 2027
By Rich Stanton about 12 hours ago
Well, at least it can afford it.

5pop3rRpbKoHxaenCbAzbH-320-80.jpeg

(Image credit: Epic Games)
Various documents have been coming out from the ongoing Apple vs Epic legal case in the state of California, and here's a full rundown of the core of Apple's (pretty decent) defense. As part of this, Apple's lawyers executed what one can only call a drive-by on the Epic Games Store, which Epic's lawyers had been claiming was comparable to the App Store.

"Epic Games Store is unprofitable and not comparable to the App Store" the lawyers began, rather bluntly, "and will not be profitable for at least multiple years, if ever." Ouch!

But what's interesting is that Apple's legal eagles go on to break down just how unprofitable the Epic Games Store is. "Epic lost around $181 million on EGS in 2019. Epic projected to lose around $273 million on EGS in 2020. Indeed, Epic committed $444 million in minimum guarantees for 2020 alone, while projecting, even with 'significant' growth, only $401 million in revenue for that year. Epic acknowledges that trend will continue in the immediate future: Epic projects to lose around $139 million in 2021."

If we take the lower figures, that adds up to an investment on Epic's part of $493 million since 2019, and Epic itself has acknowledged that "unrecouped costs" will amount to at least $330 million. "At best, Epic does not expect EGS to have a cumulative gross profit before 2027."

Now that is really good news. I hope it is all true.

In the end it was really all just a big, big financial gamble that they could bribe away all "employees" (devs) from the main player and become number 1. Lately they seem to get hardly any exclusives, so it could mean they had to admit defeat and the borrowed money is gone. They have become the least innovative and most unprofitable shop in a market that is hugely profitable and innovative. Laugh about them!
If all of that $500M was Tencent's money, does that make you love Epic again? :smug:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I mean, who knew practices like exclusivity naturally lead to higher prices. Luckily we had 3 years to analyze the situation properly.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Giving bigger share of sale to the publisher really helped out the customer.

Reminds me of last year in the UK when the govt cut VAT for restaurants after lockdown, with the intent of restaurants cutting the price of the menus to attract customers.

A lot of restaurants actually just increased their prices in response to the tax cut.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom