Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Error or Intention?

Baldur

Novice
I tried to kill all of Ortwin's henchmen in the "alliance with rome" plot. But after I was wounded I fled southwards. Then Teudogar came to help me and was slain.
But now Teudogar's henchmen and his wife are my enemies as if I had killed him myself. Is this intended because I am responsible for his death involving him into the fight?

Regards,
Baldur

Wolf Mittag

Wolf Mittag Software Development
Developer
Well, it's not a bug insofar as if Teudogar dies, his death would usually be a result of your actions (because no one else would act against him on his own accord).

And after Teudogar's death, the Alliance-with-Rome plot is no longer viable (because without Teudogar's influence, Ortwin and his supporters would always prevail in the popular assembly). So it wouldn't make any sense for Teudogar's henchmen to continue training you.

However, it's a bug insofar as the game doesn't differentiate between who or what killed Teudogar, but simply assumes your guilt. And in your scenario, you really aren't responsible.

So I think it's right for Teudogar's clan not to cooperate with you anymore after his death; but in cases where his death wasn't your immediate fault, they should still treat you civilly, and of cause, his henchmen should not 'avenge' his death on you.

Internally, that'd require adding a You-killed-Teudogar flag to the current Teudogar-is-dead flag, and considering both in all dialogs and plot triggers that currently use only the latter. The problem is that it's a bit tricky to reliably determine your guilt in a number of borderline case (like, e.g., poison, or, let's say he's wounded and dies of bleeding, possibly after you already made peace with him, and so on).

In other words, every relaxation of the You-killed-him check could result in a number of scenarios in which you'd be clearly guilty going unpunished. That's why I think it's generally better to check for his death only, and leave the precise cause aside, even if this means you're sometimes punished in cases where you're technically innocent.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom