Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Essential QoL features in RPGs

mondblut

Arcane
An inventory and stat interface all fitting in a single screen. If I have to browse several menus to get anything done, it is not not depth but simply lazy design.

If your stat interface fits on a single screen, you are playing casual trash.

bionicman

Liturgist
Every RPG needs a quick-save and quick-load key bindings. Those are essential tools for an experienced savescummer.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
An inventory and stat interface all fitting in a single screen. If I have to browse several menus to get anything done, it is not not depth but simply lazy design.

If your stat interface fits on a single screen, you are playing casual trash.
Take your needlessly complex stuff and I'll keep well thought systems, so that we'll both be happy.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
There is too much of that annoying shit in games to even list. And it just gets mindlessly inherited from previous games or whatever people think they are supposed to be making for that genre.

But why even have an inventory if it's just a big pain in the ass of sorting stupid virtual shit nobody cares about? After all these years I've sorted 10000 different inventories! I don't need to do it anymore! In fact even having an inventory in an RPG at this point is something I should start considering a negative. I don't want to sort shit and by weight or whatever, I do that every day with my fucking shopping online and I work with spreadsheets sometimes. There needs to be a total revolution in gaming... Although I have been waiting 30 fucking years, I always expected gaming to move forward in huge leaps each generation or so but I would say it is worse now than it is has probably ever been in the history of gaming. I look at gamers today, still playing Skyrim and trying to get the most out of shitty broken AAA games or shitty 1 man indie games... It's a tragedy.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Menu towns.
You wrote it as a jest but actually it's a good idea for certain types of crpgs. Think Darklands and having to walk to every building every time you visit a town. That means hundreds if not thousands times during one play. The game can last for a couple of years game time and encompasses all the German part of HRE in 15th century, dozens of cities and even more towns/villages. And the authors planned iirc for an expansion with the Italian part of the Empire.
As i said, only for specific kind of crpgs and certainly not for others. But it has its uses.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Developers probably read these threads, print them off, and use them for paper planes or cleaning up after their pets. There's no professional log of what RPGs did really well and should be an industry standard. The developers don't care. If all RPG developers gave up their jobs tomorrow and started manufacturing dildos for gays and women, they would all be under 7" and nobody would be able to find the 'on' button.

:x

ferratilis

Magister
Just a few, off the top of my head:

-If you really insist on having a rotatable camera in a cRPG, then give players the option of changing the direction and rotation speed of the camera. I don't want to flick my mouse all over the place like I'm playing Quake. It would also be ideal if the mouse cursor could be locked in place while rotating. The new Pathfinder did it quite well (minus the cursor part), Divinity wasn't that good, and Wasteland 3 has the worst rotatable camera I've seen. If you're looking for a good example elsewhere, look at Shadow Tactics and Desperados 3, they have really good camera control. Or you can just, you know, not have rotatable camera, because it adds nothing of value.

-If you suck at itemization (like most modern RPG devs do), then loot filters and search function in inventory are a must. Especially if you're Larian.

-Pathfinder has a neat feature where item descriptions say where you found them, for example "this item was found in Tenebrous Depths IV" etc. This is also important if you suck at itemization (you know you do). It's always useful.

-Keybinds to change weapon slots and toggle stealth. Owlcat, you assholes!

quixotic

Learned
Volume Sliders for everything.
An option to skip/turn off tutorials.
Skippable cutscenes.
Are attractive women a QOL feature?

deuxhero

Arcane
If you have more than 3 dozen inventory items at a time, the ability to search your inventory by name. OpenMW included it and it's amazing.
If the mechanics let you store items without risking their disappearance (and don't have an unlimited inventory anyways), include somewhere the PC can explicitly store items safely instead of encouraging them to store items on quest related corpses or vermin infested warehouses.
If the party/player character will regularly be returning to a location (like a central city) and the primary transport doesn't double as a house, like a (space)ship does, include a house the player can obtain. Doesn't need to be a big fancy house with manikins for armor displaying armor and vaults for storing items, but it seems a little silly to have the player be a literal hobo if he's filthy rich and keeps coming back to a single settlement. It's also a money sink which most games badly need.
If you have a needs system, have some way of alerting the player to low needs before they roll over into the range you take penalties. A stage with no penalties ("hungry") right before the stage with penalties ("half starved") that announces itself is sufficient.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom