Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternal Crusade (WH40K MMO)

Caim

Arcane
Hang on, this is THE WH40k MMO that was announced years ago, the one I got excited about and then quickly forgot, and it's the same thingy I saw on Steam the other day.
No, that was Dark Millenium. That one got cancelled. And it had playable Titans.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Oh okay, cool.

At first, I wasn't confused; when I stumbled across Eternal Crusade on Steam, I became confused; then I found this thread, and thought that I was no longer confused, but it turns out that I was, in fact, still confused at that time.

Now I'm finally not confused, except perhaps about why this game even exists in the first place. It has UNCLEAN written all over it. Ah, well. I'm sure some of you enjoy it and now think that I'm an annoying piece of shit.

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
Oh okay, cool.

At first, I wasn't confused; when I stumbled across Eternal Crusade on Steam, I became confused; then I found this thread, and thought that I was no longer confused, but it turns out that I was, in fact, still confused at that time.

Now I'm finally not confused, except perhaps about why this game even exists in the first place. It has UNCLEAN written all over it. Ah, well. I'm sure some of you enjoy it and now think that I'm an annoying piece of shit.

Get some sleep. Your brain seems to be malfunctioning.

Caim

Arcane
Dunno about the quality of the game, my system is too much of a toaster to run it. Plus, it still needs polishing given that it's alpha right now.

And if all things work out well it'll surpass Space Marine by leaps and bounds. Hell, for all intents and purposes it already has and it's fun to play even with the shitty optimization.

I also noticed that they made the SM and CSM textures a bit better. They don't look quite as cartoony any more which is rather nice. Man, I can't wait for the wargear update.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I mean to explain to Blaine that in terms of fundamental mechanics (shooting, melee, jet pack, etc.) it's basically Space Marine clone. It doesn't change or "improve" anything on that level. Besides Lascannons not being sniper rifles, lol.
And if all things work out well it'll surpass Space Marine by leaps and bounds. Hell, for all intents and purposes it already has and it's fun to play even with the shitty optimization.

I also noticed that they made the SM and CSM textures a bit better. They don't look quite as cartoony any more which is rather nice. Man, I can't wait for the wargear update.

Disgruntled

Savant
You sure it's not an FPS issue? It's really unoptimized right now. Choppy fps is going to make melee hard for sure. If you're able to kill moving targets with the Stalker then it's probably FPS rather than network latency.

Well, I hope it is unoptimized and that they will improve it.

Im getting freezes and fps drops now and again but that goes for almost everyone so its not the main culprit.

Really frustrating how ineffective I seem to be at times. Shooting a marine for a good a few moments only to have them practically insta-kill me when they pay attention. Especially in melee, I know there is some nuance involved but for all my encounters im stun-locked the moment a sword touches me and dead in a blink. If I try to melee my swings seem to graze em before they nail me back without a sweat.

I know there are guides but is there any key secret to this? Ive tried defensive bash but its a slow animation which rarely does anything for me.
Maybe I am just that millisecond out of sync with everyone.

And im going to drop the stalkerbolter for now, the damage/TTK ratio is too unfavorable at the moment. At a distance its very simple for the enemy to hide after the first few shots. Close distance im better off with the meatier damage dealers.

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
You sure it's not an FPS issue? It's really unoptimized right now. Choppy fps is going to make melee hard for sure. If you're able to kill moving targets with the Stalker then it's probably FPS rather than network latency.

Well, I hope it is unoptimized and that they will improve it.

Im getting freezes and fps drops now and again but that goes for almost everyone so its not the main culprit.

Really frustrating how ineffective I seem to be at times. Shooting a marine for a good a few moments only to have them practically insta-kill me when they pay attention. Especially in melee, I know there is some nuance involved but for all my encounters im stun-locked the moment a sword touches me and dead in a blink. If I try to melee my swings seem to graze em before they nail me back without a sweat.

I know there are guides but is there any key secret to this? Ive tried defensive bash but its a slow animation which rarely does anything for me.
Maybe I am just that millisecond out of sync with everyone.

And im going to drop the stalkerbolter for now, the damage/TTK ratio is too unfavorable at the moment. At a distance its very simple for the enemy to hide after the first few shots. Close distance im better off with the meatier damage dealers.
I guess it's just a latency issue, and they haven't dealt with netcode yet. The devs are in Canada and I'm in the USA, but you are in Australia. I've never noticed the type of issue you've had. My FPS is really not good enough but I don't have sync issues. So distance is probably the issue.

You could check the forums to see if anyone in Europe/Oceania has the same issues.

I'm too lazy to play right now, mostly because I hate UE4 and its graphic setting "packages" where you can't turn off ONLY postprocesssing or ONLY something else... You have to dig into the cfg/ini files to disable specific graphics things without at the same time decreasing resolution to 50% or decreasing texture detail. I mean, it's easy stuff really, and I've done it back when I played half a year ago or so, and I did the same for Warmachine Tactics... (I like building bang-for-the-buck medium-level computers where I can tweak settings so that things still look good to me [because sun shafts and shit are shit] while performance is smooth)

But I'm lazy right now.

I hate UE4.

Disgruntled

Savant
Im dealing with it for now, as I imagine most Aussies are. The game is playable to a fairly competitive level which is already decent so most wont complain.
Getting better at it is helping. Even managed to take out a few melee classes by timing my bash properly and gunning em down with a combi bolter. For offence, making use of my sidearm ctrl aim when im not in range with the sword/axe is turning the tide in some encounters.

EC not getting any awards for graphical performance thats for sure. My trusty i5-3570k is getting hammered on occasion. There is some strange bug that forces it into 100% usage and a resultant freeze every 5-30 seconds. I thought it might be specific to what time i connect but its turned up in the middle of matches much to my frustration. Warmachine would scream my graphics card but it never hogged the cpu, at least not that i noticed. If you ever get around to those tweaks id love to use them, cant be arsed myself either especially with the regular hotfixes.

Last edited:

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Oh, the irony
aZpNXYX_460s.jpg

And the newest update did it. The game feels more complete than ever and it only took them... what... seven months to get to that stage? Orks that are complete at launch without lacking much of anything, swooping hawks and loads of new psychic abilities for the Warlock and Sorc.

Bring it the hell on.

Caim

Arcane
How heavy is it on your system, by the way? At launch it ran like ass, but is it better now?

Most of the maps are stable and the ones that are not are no where near as laggy as the game was at launch. It's entirely playable, no doubt about it.

I'll look up some solid numbers the next time I'm playing it.

Sorry for being harsh, i watched gameplay videos and it looks like unreal deathmatch plus overwatch etc.

It's a waste of time. Their intent is to typically adapt Warhammer40k to online gaming tropes, not create a new online experience using Warhammer 40k tropes

and even more remotely impossible their intention, ofc, is to infuse to it LIFE thanks to sandbox simulation, that is, professions, crafting, navigation, non-combat careers.

When will they understand the potential of virtuality as the power of fully simulating life in a fictional world? Is it wrong to think it's objectively the future of gaming? To just simulate fictional life?

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
The mechanics are almost copypasta from Space Marine. Half the classes are melee based. Not similar to Battlefront, I've played that and Eternal Crusade. (Not that I dislike Battlefront, I loved it [the original ones, not the new one]).

More similar to Battlefield (2142?) than the Battlefronts. Well, it's meant to be Planetside 40k, really.

Also, 40k is first and primarily a tabletop wargame.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom