Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternal Crusade (WH40K MMO)

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Release is on the 30th, anyone following this?

Is it buy to play or pay to play?

How is the world map thing?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I've just read that with the release, the orks will be free. And if you buy the game, you get everything unlocked without a monthly subscription.

The world map is supposed to play like Planetside 2.

Might be a fun shooter when they finish everything

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
And it should be moved to general gaming, because it's not an mmo.

Max players will be 60vs60 on a map. So it's like heroes and generals with the world map, battle affects the outcome on the map and that's all.

Educated
Release is on the 30th, anyone following this?
23rd.

I've just read that with the release, the orks will be free. And if you buy the game, you get everything unlocked without a monthly subscription.
Orks won't be free, the 'fee2waaagh' has been scrapped for the time being.
There won't be a monthly subscription, but you can get 'premium currency' - for cosmetics only (and there is a lot of them). It'll also be earnable through gameplay, though no idea at what rate yet - by achieving campaign goals (connected with the global map thingy).

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I've had good fun with Space Marine MP for a short while. But it was p2p only IIRC so it didn't last long. Eternal Crusade looks like just that on steroids. Just saw a Chimera running over Eldar on a stream :bounce:.

Will probably take a look since it's 40k :negative:.

I was shocked when I heard that it was out of Early Access. Every video of the game I'd seen looked like a poor early alpha. Normally, I'd be all over a Warhammer 40,000 game that lets you play as something other than a Space Marine but this just looks bad.

Educated
I don't want to make excuses for how the game differs from original plan (and A LOT changed), but... that Arch Warhammer guy complains about stuff that hasn't been on the table for more than a year. When it was clear that Planetside-like open world isn't feasible, there was a long period to get a refund - and many dissappointed founders did just that. It was still shitty to close the refund period before implementing all the races, so if you wanted to play only orks or eldar and you were a founder, you still had to have hope they'll turn out good. But if you bought the game to get Planetside40k then you had to forget about the game for... 18 months to complain now 'it's not what they promised and there's no refund!'
His gameplay comments... oh dear. Some good points but so much misinformation that could've been avioded with reading about the keybindings...

Anyway, the game clearly isn't finished and shouldn't have left early access - but publishers yadda yadda. I would call it a 'promising beta'. It's not polished, it's not as balanced as it should be etc. but for me it shines when it comes to sheer diversity. The fact that it has four -or three and a half, considering SM and Chaos have a lot in common- asymmetrical factions that do play differently (hence the balance problems - orks are still underpowered, eldar borderline OP etc.), completely different classes, completely different weapons (and psyker powers) and it tries to combine shooter gameplay with melee hack ans slash ('try' being the most important word at the moment, unfortunately)... It's just fun in its 'unpolished ambitious gem' style. And it is developed quite quickly, as a lot of new stuff and systems have been crammed into the game in the last month or so (which explain the lack of polish compared to how it played around two months ago - basically no time to tune all the new stuff).

All in all if you ask whether the game is good as it is now, as a finished product, and worth that 50$ - I'd say no. It's too buggy, too unoptimised, too unbalanced. If you want to treat it as beta with many systems implemented only partially, then -assuming all the negative reviews won't kill it in the next two months- it will only get better and taking into account their recent pace of improving the game, it should get better rather quickly.

Aothan

Magister
the last time I was on the forums, probably around two months many thought the individual Eldar units available were not comparably effective to the other factions, but then Orks were not released so a few changes have occurred in the mean time

the almost uniform disappointment expressed on the forums and the static movements of the Eldar units gave impressions the game's future is not that sure - it could be a fun game, albeit very different from original concepts, but only with a number of improvements that will take a while to implement (assuming as already mentioned the game persists through the criticism of this interim period)

Wulfstand

Prophet
30 quid for a a few multiplayer modes for W40k Space Marine? I think I'll wait for a bargain first.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I've had good fun with Space Marine MP for a short while. But it was p2p only IIRC so it didn't last long. Eternal Crusade looks like just that on steroids. Just saw a Chimera running over Eldar on a stream :bounce:.

Will probably take a look since it's 40k :negative:.
30 quid for a a few multiplayer modes for W40k Space Marine? I think I'll wait for a bargain first.
It's 40k Space Marine with Battlefield-esque pop. sizes, map sizes, and vehicles.

Oh and also it doesn't run on P2P netcode lololo.
I would call it a 'promising beta'. It's not polished, it's not as balanced as it should be etc. but for me it shines when it comes to sheer diversity
The funny thing is that I also thought of it as a 'promising beta'... a year ago. To the point where I actually have 119 hours in it - again, this is from a year ago. In fact I was pretty adamant that they should give up the persistent world idea and focus on polishing/balancing what they already had as a BF-esque shooter.

(I'm biased towards Battlefield I guess and I suppose this was my choice outlet)

But it seems like over a year nothing has changed. The game development has stagnated like the 40k setting.

Anyways I wouldn't call it an arena shooter. More of a 20v20/32v32 with conquest points type of shooter. Not that I have a problem with arena shooters at all, but I just wanted to clarify.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
I was shocked when I heard that it was out of Early Access. Every video of the game I'd seen looked like a poor early alpha. Normally, I'd be all over a Warhammer 40,000 game that lets you play as something other than a Space Marine but this just looks bad.
Nah, it is much better than alpha (but it's not better than mid-beta). However pretty shitty optimization does make the game look more bleh - especially if you tone down your settings. Actually it was surprisingly not as buggy as I expected - and that was a year ago.

However, the criticism is about what the game is missing. As "Battlefield: 40k" it is decent, and with pending improvements could be above average. But Eternal Crusade was intended to be "Planetside: 40k."

My opinion... After I played for a while last year, I found myself enjoying the game as "Battlefield: 40k" and that "Planetside: 40k" was not a dealbreaker for me. However, even "Battlefield: 40k" is not at release state right now, so I would not recommend it right now... They definitely should've gone for more dev time.

Nah, it is much better than alpha (but it's not better than mid-beta). However pretty shitty optimization does make the game look more bleh - especially if you tone down your settings. Actually it was surprisingly not as buggy as I expected - and that was a year ago.

However, the criticism is about what the game is missing. As "Battlefield: 40k" it is decent, and with pending improvements could be above average. But Eternal Crusade was intended to be "Planetside: 40k."

My opinion... After I played for a while last year, I found myself enjoying the game as "Battlefield: 40k" and that "Planetside: 40k" was not a dealbreaker for me. However, even "Battlefield: 40k" is not at release state right now, so I would not recommend it right now... They definitely should've gone for more dev time.
That's kind of what I meant, I just used slightly different language. Everything I saw shouted, "Hey, those other features that we promised will be in later!" And typically, in the corporate gaming world, an alpha is when a game doesn't have all of its features. As it stands, it's seemed to me that Eternal Crusade has been like that for ages. It does look more polished than most alphas, certainly, as polish typically comes in more what would be the beta phase, but it seems like the devs declared it a beta (and then eventually a finished product) by simply cutting out features. Some of them they were upfront about, some not, but anyone who backed the game early on got seriously screwed. I suppose this would qualify as a Caveat Emptor situation, but it doesn't change the fact that the developers were shady as hell.

I mean, shit, I was rooting for this game since the start. W40k Planetside? Hell yes. Gotta represent the Space Elves. But this doesn't even look like a feature-complete Battlefield: 40k. That's all based off of a mixture of user reviews, critical reviews, videos and following the development instead of personal experience, but damn if it doesn't look finished. Not to mention I feel like it'll be dead in a year. It's not even in the top 100 on Steam right now, with the 100th place going to Call of Duty: World At War at 1,462 players. That's not great.

...there's always Dawn of War 3, right?

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
They could make a Planetside with Imperial Guard,Chaos Cultists, Eldar and Orks. It would be perfectly logical, would allow customization flexibility, decal and hat marketing and use of vehicles. But no, let's shove SPAHSS MAHRINS everywhere. So what if Space Marines are not fit for massive battles, huge losses after each match? But we hired authors to write about our game, so massive routine SM and CSM losses are canon. SM allied with Orks and CSM, orks allied with eldars. Yeah, why not?
People wanted Planetside minus Sony degeneracy but instead got another soulless and faceless arena buttonmash. We could reskin Team Fortress 2 with better results.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
We could reskin Team Fortress 2 with better results.
Not really. TF2 is like 12v12. Eternal Crusade is on the Battlefield end, more comparable to Battlefield 2142. With the exception of melee assault units that jetpack up and then divebomb you from who know's where and then slashes you apart.

And
They could make a Planetside with Imperial Guard,Chaos Cultists, Eldar and Orks.
Was actually the plan (except for IG I think.. Also Tyranids are in as PVE-only "Swarm mode."

But for some reason the devs have made like no progress for the past year. It's sad... it was in good shape when I played a year ago, so if they kept working hard/correctly on it it was on track to be a decent game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom