Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Euro Truck Simulator 2

Jason Liang

Arcane
I've come to think of ETS and ATS as the gaming descendant of Sid Meier's Pirates + Outrun.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
Is there a significant reason to put funds into different trailers at all for your peeps to use? They all manage to find jobs pretty easily without them so far. It's the one area I haven't really delved into.
just like you make more money driving your own shit with your own trailers, so do your underlings

not really, no. with quick jobs you start always fully rested, with the cargo already loaded, don't pay fuel, don't care for repairs, the money listed on the contract is 100% yours with nothing taken away from it by the employer.
with your own truck you start with your previous level of fuel and fatigue, even just looking for a place to rest and coming back means losing jobs, just to start your average new job means wsting 2-4 (which is about half your autonomy) hours driving and parking and meanwhile more jobs are going to expire, then you have to refuel, only the shortest jobs will not require you take another 9 hours of sleep, fuel and repairs are all on you and you're not going to earn any more money out of all this.
the whole architecture of the games thus makes no sense, because all you earn money for is to buy a better your own personal truck but using it is the slowest, least efficient way of playing the game.

Retardo

Learned
the seedier aspects of trucking like lot lizards

I'm surprised there is no mod for this. Also surprised there's no meth mod.
Well, there is a mod, but it only allows adding lady to your cabin as an accessory.

AEBAC23183F93608688E9CA14FC88D4A98D316EB

not really, no. with quick jobs you start always fully rested, with the cargo already loaded, don't pay fuel, don't care for repairs, the money listed on the contract is 100% yours with nothing taken away from it by the employer.
with your own truck you start with your previous level of fuel and fatigue, even just looking for a place to rest and coming back means losing jobs, just to start your average new job means wsting 2-4 (which is about half your autonomy) hours driving and parking and meanwhile more jobs are going to expire, then you have to refuel, only the shortest jobs will not require you take another 9 hours of sleep, fuel and repairs are all on you and you're not going to earn any more money out of all this.
the whole architecture of the games thus makes no sense, because all you earn money for is to buy a better your own personal truck but using it is the slowest, least efficient way of playing the game.

Don’t know, never had trouble making money. Maybe you just suck at casual games.

it takes less effort to cough cough the updated game and apply promods on it.
by the way, i found it pretty underwhelming, at least in italy: i had to move to france to feel some italian vibes, i understand the need to compress in 1/20, but along the road from naples to rome, along the border between the regions campania and lazio, there's a river. not a very big one but it's iconic crossing the bridge to move between regions. and not even in promods this bridge can be found. the whole italy is very anonymous, i drove to sicily looking all over for mount etna but couldn't find it. now that i think of it, maybe there isn't even the vesuvius near naples. it'd be like depicting new york without the statue of liberty.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/227300/view/2880570414324318635

So how do we bring new sounds to our games? By sending out our sound experts out into real-world of course! Recently two members of our team, Matej & Irenej, travelled to Spain & Portugal for the main purpose of recording new sounds for the upcoming ETS2 DLC release of Iberia. These new sound recordings will also be used in some areas to refresh older sounds used currently in our sim and used for upcoming future DLCs too.

8a799dbe01bf25afa10ed3f917c0a2f4e6603239.jpg

Hardcore sim.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
it takes less effort to cough cough the updated game and apply promods on it.
by the way, i found it pretty underwhelming, at least in italy: i had to move to france to feel some italian vibes, i understand the need to compress in 1/20, but along the road from naples to rome, along the border between the regions campania and lazio, there's a river. not a very big one but it's iconic crossing the bridge to move between regions. and not even in promods this bridge can be found. the whole italy is very anonymous, i drove to sicily looking all over for mount etna but couldn't find it. now that i think of it, maybe there isn't even the vesuvius near naples. it'd be like depicting new york without the statue of liberty.

I also cannot get used to it. I once missed a turn in Berlin and had to go to Dresden to turn around, which would be a drive of 4 hours irl.

The biggest problem is that local knowledge doesn't help you 1 inch. I don't recognize anything, not even the city I lived in for 20 years. It isn't really a truck simulation, more like a minigame.

It is particularly glaring if you play flight sims that show that it can very well be done.

I stopped playing completely because the economic part is just as bland and boring. You level up so you can do Class VI chemical transports, how exciting.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
ultimate relaxation, this game, until you crash right before the end of a retardedly long haul and the truck becomes impossibly wedged between the road barrier and a plane crash

then the ultimate relaxation becomes not playing it for another year

Telemetry

Educated
Patron
Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm a truck driver irl, in Stockholm, Sweden. I drive mostly local ditribution, no wagon but longer return trips with wagon or trailer over one single day happen from time to time. Stockholm-sundsvall-stockholm or stockholm-västerås-örebro-esilstuna-stockholm are fairly common.

With that said, I loathe this fuken game. It fails on so many levels it's not even funny. Got a lot to say about it but gonna be brief here.

Imho they shot themselves in the foot by doing EURO truck sim. Sure it's good to be ambitious but you gotta admit to yourself when it's time to turn it down a notch or two. Bro, you can't make europe with a handful of interchanges and loading/unloading lots. Every interchange or intersection is unique, every company lot has it's quirks and half of the fun and challenge irl is arriving at a new company and having to figure out where and how to back the fucker in. In ets you get a big bright arrow that even jumps up and down in case you are blind, like the arrows on npcs in dragon age 2.
Highway interchanges and intersections as well. Either they are the same 5-6 prebuilts that they have been using for 15 years or they are flat out made up. I'm gonna describe a quick example (no pics cause am lazy and on mobile). The main interchange in stockholm ( Dropped pin
Near E20, 126 31 Hägersten
https://goo.gl/maps/u8M3kiu6Qc7auW6z9 ) that connects the E4 to the south-western port of town. Coming from the south the road splits. E4 north gets the two lanes on the right and south west gets two on the left. In ets it's the opposite. Whyy?
And it feels like I'm going insane because everywhere you read people are praising the games detail. Like, for real? If you plop the eiffel tower in paris that is not attention to detail you drooling fucks. This game is a sim only by name only.

Other thoughts in quick list format so I don't overstay my welcome.
- according to scs only tractor and trailer exist. Even with the release of scandinavia they didn't introduce the 24m truck and wagon combo or the cool as fuck tractor-link- trailer.
Not to mention the countless other modes that exist.
- height doesn't matter at all.
- loading docks are not to scale and are only set dressing. You just have to park on the big bright arrow.
- weight doesn't matter in the slightest. Not to mention axle weight.
- for some reason a random store in the butt fuck of nowhere orders 33 pallets of cheese or some shit. Loads are totally unrealistic.
- no multiple stops, the uniformity of loads and complete irrelevance of weight coupled with the same few interchanges and loading lots completely kill the game for me. No amount of eiffel towers can save it.
- driving hours and required rest non-existent
- lanes so wide you can land a fucking plane on them.
- and so on

Rant over, gonna stick to irl trucking for now

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
:necro:

I saw this mentioned in the thread about trucking in GD, and thought I'd try it. I've heard of it before I think, but never really realised what kind of cult phenomenon it is. It was on sale, so I thought I might as well get it. Never really been into "work simulator" games, but it's pretty soothing.

I could even start from my own home town of Groningen, which was a pleasant surprise. It's funny how the game is not super detailed, but the game copies certain intersections to the letter, so it's a strange kind of mindfuck to virtually drive in places that you've driven in real life thousands of times, only to then change to a heavily compressed landscape. Also big mistake that the northern Dutch countryside has any kind of hills at all. :lol:

It's strange also that Groningen is included, but in Belgium only Brussels and Liège, but not a city like Antwerp or something. Whereas some of the newer DLCs have loads of cities, like I noticed with the Iberian DLC, loads of mid-sized Portuguese towns are featured. I think Germany, UK, Netherlands, Belgium, etc. is the "original" content from before DLCs? If so, perhaps they should flesh those out in the future before expanding the map further.

I always try to play a game unmodded for a while first, but are there any particularly recommended ones?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom