Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Europa Universalis IV

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by raw, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Lady Error █▓▒░ ░▒▓█ Patron

Lady Error
    Strap Yourselves In
    Hmm, haven't really looked much at supply depots or espionage. Just traded 15 prestige for a few maps, usually when I have prestige maxed out anyway and get even more.

I like the idea of concentrating on your strengths: So in Russia's case quantity is already there, but I make it an even bigger plus with the Quantity idea group.

And no, I do not game the bankruptcy system. Russia is easy to play as it is, unless you want to conquer the whole world by 1820 or something.

The religious stuff I mostly got already, but still want to get the +3% for missionaries from the Religious idea group. Still working on that one and converting Catholics in the meantime.

As to colonizing: I got myself Corsica from Genoa and from there am currently settling Trinidad in the Caribbean. Not sure what I will do in America after that. One possibility is to conquer the Mexican tribes - even an unifinished colony nearby is enough to fabricate claims I think. Getting Panama also seems like a good idea for the channel later.

^ Top  
  2. Higher Game Arcane

Higher Game
    I do like WCing (or more often getting 10k development by 1700 usually and callling it a win) and gaming bankruptcy but that's me. :positive: Russia's best approach to the colonial regions is of course to seize all of them, since they're so cheap as far as mana goes but a drain on manpower, which Russia has in abundance. And Spain has a couple very strong projects to grab anyway. The key to taking all the colonies is to make sure no old world great powers join an American Indian coalition which is absurd but it happens if you don't watch AE.

I like some of the Baltic orders as vassals because of the mediocrity of that region, and they do help convert. Converting Catholics is best done with the offensive/religious policy of course. But religious has policies with both espionage and aristocracy which give missionary strength too.

^ Top  
  3. Lady Error █▓▒░ ░▒▓█ Patron

Lady Error
    Strap Yourselves In
    Yeah, I might ally one of the major colonial powers and let them help me grab colonies from another one later in the game. For now my focus is Asia.

^ Top  
  4. Riddler Arcane Patron

Riddler
    Bubbles In Memoria
    You don't need to conquer all of Asia, that is one option. The other is to be quick.

^ Top  
  5. Higher Game Arcane

Higher Game
    After the Kazan/Novgorod/Great Horde opening the best trade node to seize is Samarkand because Khiva and Kazakhstan are 2 awesome vassals that make taking the node very easy, and then Siberia and Yumen will flow naturally into one's network without needing any merchants so it's like gaining 3 nodes at once. Your starting merchants will be best placed in Astrakhan and Samarkand and after that the best expansion is going to come from the colonial regions that will get you all the merchants you need, and of course Zanzibar. Everything else is about opportunistically seizing great projects and claiming thrones, etc.

Malacca is actually a really good target because of all the diversity and density in that region allowing for threaten war abuse and diplomatic vassalization. Charter a trade company there and nibble away at it for a century before finishing it off.

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Lady Error █▓▒░ ░▒▓█ Patron

Lady Error
    Strap Yourselves In
    I decided to skoop up some American tribes while my aggressive expansion in Asia is cooling off. Also probably the fastest way to get to the West Coast with central american colonies. Oirat is a tributary of Ming and I don't want that massive war yet.

I have Leviathan turned off, but apparently North America is filled with tribes in this version even without that. Some of them have insane development like 30-40.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Lady Error █▓▒░ ░▒▓█ Patron

Lady Error
    Strap Yourselves In
    The warm embrace of mother Russia:

[​IMG]

Kazan is next. I just allied with Transoxiana for central Asian campaigns. In the meantime, shipping troops to America for some fun there.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit Nuke it from orbit x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Higher Game Arcane

Higher Game
    Whenever England reduces Scotland to a tiny remnant like that, you can diplo vassalize them if you have those Danish islands, and then ally England, and gradually rebuild Scotland by using "return core" favors. It's basically hundreds of free development and a foothold in Britain so you can take them out without facing their navy. And against Denmark I actually prefer conquest CB over deus vult simply because they're such an attrition nightmare even for Russia and their navy is a beast, so getting that ticking war score started ASAP is ideal.

Chartering a company and going for Mali's gold is also a good idea by the way.

• nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Stavrophore Kalin was right all along. Patron

Stavrophore
    Strap Yourselves In
    • No No x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. MadMaxHellfire Arcane

MadMaxHellfire
    because turning it off is pointless, it just removes features but keeps all the bugs and horrors still living in the code.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Riddler Arcane Patron

Riddler
    Bubbles In Memoria
    Which is why you should play on 1.30.6

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Cosmic Literate

Cosmic
    1444-1821 runs are the best, hands down.

^ Top  
  13. Hóngwèibīng Arcane Vatnik Wumao

Hóngwèibīng
    Good vid:

• It's a matter of time It's a matter of time x 3
    • Yes Yes x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Lady Error █▓▒░ ░▒▓█ Patron

Lady Error
    Strap Yourselves In
    Question: I am supporting the independence war of a colony against their master. At what war score does the war end? I already have over 60.

I read that when you fight your own indepenence war, the score does not have to be that high.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Lady Error █▓▒░ ░▒▓█ Patron

Lady Error
    Strap Yourselves In
    Turns out, it was independence war for three colonies - the two allies broke free as well. It ended at close to 70% war score.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. fantadomat Arcane Edgy Wumao

fantadomat
    Hmmm a good final free DLC that polishes all the game and clean up all the bugs will be a nice send off. Die off is not accurate word tho,more like move on.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. MadMaxHellfire Arcane

MadMaxHellfire
    i see last dlc as the melted failed ripley's clone in alien 4. "please kill me". it's not "time to die" in itself, it's just time to make it stop suffering.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Riddler Arcane Patron

Riddler
    Bubbles In Memoria
    They honestly need to straight up rework much of the new content in leviathan.

The new world is a complete and utter shitshow, favours severely unbalance the game and so does concentrate development.

The only things that were decent/good are the mission trees and monuments.

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  19. Hóngwèibīng Arcane Vatnik Wumao

Hóngwèibīng
    Bad feature imho. Should've been like in Imperator where you could build your own monuments rather than being limited solely to a few arbitrarily selected landmarks with completely arbitrary bonuses.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  20. Niggerino Scholar

Niggerino
    This game died when they introduced development.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Math! Math! x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Riddler Arcane Patron

Riddler
    Bubbles In Memoria
    I disagree. It gives you a reason to capture certain provinces outside of development/location.

Perhaps from a simulationist perspective it isn't great but I don't really care. Perhaps you could gate them behind more preconditions like build dates or something and have ages affect their effects to make it a bit more historical.

Some of them are a bit silly though and could stand to be replaced. I mean, Stonehenge? Lol. You might as well add Hadrian's wall.

^ Top  
  22. Hóngwèibīng Arcane Vatnik Wumao

Hóngwèibīng
    Something that can be achieved with an Imperator style monument system too by having various landmarks being already built in the various start dates. And if you wanted to account for their oldness as it were, you could add some prestige modifier based on their construction date (besides the various bonuses afforded by monument type, construction materials and so on which would apply the same to monuments old and new, naturally).

^ Top  
  23. Fedora Master Arcane Patron Edgy

Fedora Master
    >Actually buying PDX DLC in this day and age

• PIRACY IS WRONG PIRACY IS WRONG x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Preben Savant

Preben
    EU4 didn't run off its course.
    It was bad to begin with. A mixture of authenticated concepts (such as no characters) and bad ideas (such as mana).

• Agree Agree x 4
    • rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    I'm waiting for the new version of meiou to do one last playthrough and then I'm done. As many have said here, the game is fundamentally broken and I don't think there's any fixing that.

• Salute Salute x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.