Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Europa Universalis IV

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
I thought this was going to be the 'Holy Fury' of EU4, seems pretty lackluster and the bugs and general unbalanced-ness also take the shine off.

But we have Jo-HACK-han back in charge so I'm sure that will help... :smug:

Not feeling this one, probably gonna wait till sale.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm still on my first game as France. Allied so well that nobody would touch me, except when the allies call you to their shitty wars.

Now exploring Indonesia and Australia, though there are so many nodes in-between that it makes more sense to focus on America.
If you want to keep your allies only as coalitions-deterrents (they gains reduced AE and coalitions won't fire if you are in a very strong alliance), you can uncheck the "Join Offensive Wars" in the diplomatic screen (where you can see a nation's Trust and Favors towards you): you will no longer gain favors with them (so probably you won't be able to call them in your offensive wars), but they will no longer drag you into long resource-wasting wars.

Africa and South-East Asia can be intimidating at first, but they offer 1000x the rewards you can gain colonizing the new world. Once you control the West Africa and Cape nodes, you are set to drown in more money you will ever be able to spend.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
EU4. Learned the hard way to respect the aggression score with 5 coalition wars against much of the HRE in beginning. :lol:

Now trying to figure out the easiest way to avoid the French Religion Wars disaster or whether to just go through with it.

Did you watch many videos before getting into it? Curious who they were if so, as it sounds like you're managing things better than most noobs (though France is pretty strong — though not as strong as if you'd started them on 1.30 ^^).

The Cossacks vs Dharma DLC, which one should i buy?

Is that all you're missing?

Cossacks -- tengriism, steppe hordes mechanics, diplomatic features like promising allies territory in wars, or threatening smaller countries. Originally added the estates mechanic, though now just locks certain estates: the Cossacks (for Eastern Christians), the Dhimmi (for Muslims), and Tribes (for Steppe nomads).

tl;dr: nomads and muslims, though the mechanics around war are generally helpful.

Dharma -- Hindu mechanics, trade companies (if you don't already have Wealth of Nations) and charter companies, lots of new mission trees and a bunch of new estates in India, and some expanded weather and trade centre mechanics.

tl;dr: India and trade heavy nations.

If I had to pick a tutorial nation it would be Poland. It's a strong country but cannot into space, you have a very helpful and forever loyal ally in Lithuania that is essentially a part of your own realm even before you officially annex it, you get to expand in all directions and your rivals get progressively more formidable.

Instead of the Hussites they should've added the Church of Bosnia. That would at least give you a reason to actually play Bosnia and we all know there's no kebab like the Demiurgebab.

Tried Serbia and Herzegovina fell to the rebels in 1446. There's just no point until they fix it.

Vatnik Wumao
EU4. Learned the hard way to respect the aggression score with 5 coalition wars against much of the HRE in beginning. :lol:

Now trying to figure out the easiest way to avoid the French Religion Wars disaster or whether to just go through with it.
You should check out this mad lad's vids:

Recently posted his latest war academy video after a long hiatus and his stuff is great.

And for the prestigious merchants on the 'dex:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

There is only one composition that really matters,20k horses and 10k cannons! In the name of Tangra,it is time for genocide!

PS:Nice to see you back mate :).

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

I already watched those. ;)

If you want to keep your allies only as coalitions-deterrents (they gains reduced AE and coalitions won't fire if you are in a very strong alliance), you can uncheck the "Join Offensive Wars" in the diplomatic screen (where you can see a nation's Trust and Favors towards you): you will no longer gain favors with them (so probably you won't be able to call them in your offensive wars), but they will no longer drag you into long resource-wasting wars.

That's indeed good to know, thanks.

Africa and South-East Asia can be intimidating at first, but they offer 1000x the rewards you can gain colonizing the new world. Once you control the West Africa and Cape nodes, you are set to drown in more money you will ever be able to spend.

Well, the problem is that my most trusted ally (Castille) controls both of those, and together we are #1 and #2 of the Great Powers, while my other ally (Ottomans) is #3.

Did you watch many videos before getting into it? Curious who they were if so, as it sounds like you're managing things better than most noobs (though France is pretty strong — though not as strong as if you'd started them on 1.30 ^^).

I watched maybe 5 or 6 vids, first the basic stuff and then about trade. Looking up things on the Wiki too.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
About religious wars: I switched to Humanist Ideas and got the 25% extra religious unity, so that with the 25% of the Edict of Nantes I cannot go below 50%. But the wars countdown continues as long as you're under 75% I guess?

The good thing is that Austria is also Catholic, so they even refused to help an HRE member which I invaded and then forced to convert back to Catholicism. Is the only way to take out the Centers of Reformation through invasion and then converting that province back to Catholicism? Will they continue even after the Age of Reformation?

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

Well, the problem is that my most trusted ally (Castille) controls both of those, and together we are #1 and #2 of the Great Powers, while my other ally (Ottomans) is #3.
Time to break the alliance, then. :salute:

About religious wars: I switched to Humanist Ideas and got the 25% extra religious unity, so that with the 25% of the Edict of Nantes I cannot go below 50%. But the wars countdown continues as long as you're under 75% I guess?
If they haven't changed with the last patches, you either had to switch to Protestantism, have 90% religious unity or finish the Humanist ideas group.
The good thing is that Austria is also Catholic, so they even refused to help an HRE member which I invaded and then forced to convert back to Catholicism. Is the only way to take out the Centers of Reformation through invasion and then converting that province back to Catholicism? Will they continue even after the Age of Reformation?
Yes, you have to conquer the province with the center of reformation and convert it. After the Age of Reformation, the centers disappear on their own.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm still on my first game as France. Allied so well that nobody would touch me, except when the allies call you to their shitty wars.

Now exploring Indonesia and Australia, though there are so many nodes in-between that it makes more sense to focus on America.
I was going to ask how did you manage to avoid a war with Spain, but I see you are allied. If you are into a long campaign, try to keep Turkey from getting out of control. That was my mistake in my last campaign that went into the 18th century. I normally play with either France, Spain or Russia.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Time to break the alliance, then. :salute:

First Castille will help me take the English colonies and crush the HRE with its Reformation Centers. Though since both Britain and Portugal are my rivals, it'd be hard to take on Spain.

Howdy

I caved and bought Empire. Loaded up and no fucking paradox games work from steam at all. I tried everything. Ended up flushing my entire win10 system down the toilet, installed mx Linux on a fucking amd 3600 and now everything is fine. :?.

I really don't know what happened, something on the paradox website was saying configure the .exe to launch in 640X480, then reset resolution in game and re launch.

:prosper:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Recently posted his latest war academy video after a long hiatus and his stuff is great.

And for the prestigious merchants on the 'dex:

I watched the first two. Do players need someone to read out loud the wiki to them nowadays? :)

Vatnik Wumao
I watched the first two. Do players need someone to read out loud the wiki to them nowadays? :)
Same as those plebs esteemed gentlemen that prefer to listen to an audio book rather than to read a book.

Though admittedly videos like this have their perks since they also provide visual examples of strategies and what not.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I never managed to get into audiobooks between the effort in finding them, and the bullshit and variance in transferring and playing them on a phone. (Not to mention they’re even worse for notes than ebooks.)

But videos are very useful for Paradox games, and will be until they fix their interfaces (at least CK3 is getting there?).

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

Is that in the Art of War DLC? Because I don't have that check box where the number of favors is listed.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Had a mini world war and took away almost all British colonies while completely crushing Austria and Hungary with the Ottomans and Bohemia.

Now it's basically me and Castille gobbling up most of the new places.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
So it would seem Paradox dun completely screwed the pooch with this patch. So much stuff is broken with the AI, countries stuck permanently with 1000s of ducats into debt, army stacks that never move during war, obviously the HRE is completely broken, people have managed to Revoke in 1460, countries like Novgorod, Pope, Aragon, Balkans area all joining HRE. Getting 0 cash from peace deals because a new feature to click maximum cash for peace has broken the interface. What a fucking trainwreck.

Good to see Johan ruining another release. Can someone call agent 47 and arrange for this guy to have an "accident" on his way to Barcelona?

:killit:

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Isn't it usually a bit of a mess before the hotfix? Not saying it's good, just not uncommon.

Paradox is ultimately too small for the number of titles that they're trying to develop and support. And in that sense, Barcelona is a positive. One would hope after CK3 launches, they'd avoid launching any PDS games in 2021, but unfortunately that's not how capitalism tends to work (just look at Creative Assembly and Troy ... kinda disappointing after what a good job CA Sofia did with Empire Divided and Rise of the Republic).

Johan said:
We hear you, we are reading your feedback.

We are working on several issues for an hotfix, however, specficially regarding the HRE balance, we have reverted a mistake that made AI ignore its logic for joining the HRE. We are also tweaking numbers regarding Imperial Authority gain, amongst other things.

Sadly nothing will be out before the weekend.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/the-1-30-2-hotfix-plans.1398462/

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Isn't it usually a bit of a mess before the hotfix? Not saying it's good, just not uncommon.

Paradox is ultimately too small for the number of titles that they're trying to develop and support.

Agreed. Would have been perfectly fine with them never releasing Stellaris (generic boring AF space 4X we have plenty of) and Imperator, instead just focus on the other titles and make them the best they can be. But I guess its gotta be 'Capitalism and muh exponential growth'.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom