Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Europa Universalis IV

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
So what’s the consensus on Emperor then? Worth buying now, or should I wait three years and buy it for pennies?

If you're buying it, at least wait until they fix the damn debt issue (I'll be posting here when they do, if they do — unless someone else does so first).

edit: bizarro, disabling Golden Century seems to help, lol (at least according to a few annecdotes)l https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...e-ai-debt-spiral-and-dead-map-1-30-3.1405338/

Seems like a lot of work to save $2.

I heard something about some kind of bans for pirating Paradox DLC, but I don't know which method it applies to, or how reliable or consistent it happens. But I want to avoid all that to begin with because whose time is worth navigating all that.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Doesn't corruption increase only by uncored provinces? It's there to limit your rate of expansion, but not your absolute size. You can even spend money to reduce it faster, and lategame you should be swimming in cash.

Yeah, I think you're right. I thought it was about the ratio of territories vs states in general.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
obt50eh.png

Another new 1.31 dev diary, on maritime SEA (weirdly they're still private, but at least there weren't too many images to reupload):

Good morning! Last week I revealed that the focus of the next update is South-East Asia, and gave a brief overview of the map setup for the mainland part of that region. Following on from that, today we’re going to look at Maritime South-East Asia.

obt50eh.png

This rework is somewhat more radical than the rework of the mainland, which focussed primarily on adding detail and tactical depth to the existing setup. For the Maritime region I wanted to provide a very different and much more engaging campaign experience that reflected the thriving and diverse Malay world that existed historically.

First thing to note is that all of the surrounding sea zones have been converted to Inland Seas, meaning that galleys get combat bonuses in the region. Naval warfare was very important in the Malay world, and Malay fleets tended to consist of smaller vessels not unlike those used in Mediterranean warfare.

Let’s take a closer look at the map:

K2cSmSb.png

Seen here is the Malay Peninsula and the island of Sumatra. Pattani and Kedah are no longer one-province minors; Pattani receives the inland province of Gerik, which historians believe may have been the origin of the kingdom, whie Kedah receives Penang, which would eventually become a point of conflict between the Sultanate and the British East India Company.

Malacca remains the dominant power on the Peninsula, but no longer controls the eastern half. The Sultanate of Kelantan and the Kingdom of Pahang are now independent. Pahang is the last non-Muslim polity on the Peninsula, and would historically be conquered by Malacca in 1454 and made into a vassal state. Its last Maharaja, Dewa Sura, sits upon a precarious throne. Kelantan is another city-state that would eventually fall to Malacca, and in 1444 shares a dynasty with the Sumatran nation of Jambi. Malacca has gained the province of Singapura, modern Singapore. Singapura is the origin of the Malacca Sultanate, and according to legend also the origin of many other Malay dynasties.

Quite a lot has changed on Sumatra. Besides its many additional nations and provinces, the central inland part of the island is now impassable. This to emphasize the importance of navies in the region and reflect how difficult it was to march armies across this hostile terrain.

There are several accounts of the origins of the Aceh Sultanate, located at the northern tip of Sumatra. It is generally considered to have come into being at the end of the 15th Century, being preceded by a kingdom named Lamuri about which we know little. I have opted to take a slightly ahistorical route and represent Aceh as a Sultanate in 1444. Aceh is one of the historical “winners” of the region; Sultan Iskandar Muda launched a successful campaign in the 17th Century that resulted in the conquests of much of Sumatra and the Malay Peninsula, and prior to that Aceh was already the dominant power in northern and western Sumatra. Aceh is also referred to as the “Porch of Mecca” owing to its importance in the spread of Islam to Maritime South-East Asia.

Western Sumatra is ruled by the Hindu and Buddhist nations of Barus, Pagaruyung, and Indrapura. Eastern Sumatra is far more Islamized, with the Sultanate of Deli, Siak, and Jambi having embraced the Sunni faith and leaving Palembang as the last Hindu state on that side of the island. On the topic of Palembang, it remains under the rule of Chinese elites following the expulsion of the pirates by Zheng He, and players that own Golden Century still have the option to restore the pirates to power. Palembang has received an additional province on the southern tip of the island; the area today known as Lampung produced an immense amount of pepper and as such has been given a significant goods produced modifier.

Oksgjoa.png

Onwards to Java! The familiar kingdoms of Majapahit (Mahajapit, Majahapit, Mapajahit, Mahapajit, Mapajahit, Majahapit?) and Sunda have received a fair few additional provinces - Java is a very populated place both historically and today. Sunda is now the home of the Sundanese people, a new culture in the Malay group made distinct from Javanese. Two new nations appear on the map in 1444: Blambangan and Bali. Both are represented as Tributary States of Majapahit. Majapahit is a nation in its death throes. An empire that once spanned across Maritime South-East Asia is now struggling to hold together its remaining Javanese territory. We’ll talk more about the fall (and potential resurgence) of Majapahit in a later dev diary.

4pbA6XB.png

Here we have Borneo (left), Sulawesi (center) and the Moluccas (right). These more distant nations, with the very notable exception of Brunei, have yet to embrace Islam and follow a mix of Hindu and Animist faiths. The Hindu kingdoms of Borneo are Sambas, Berau, Kutai, and Banjar. The Animist kingdoms of Sulawesi are Makassar, Bone, Luwu, and Buton. Coastal Borneo would become dominated by the Bruneian Empire during our period, which will be reflected in Brunei’s mission tree. The interior of Borneo remains impassable. Even today it is extremely difficult to traverse except by its indigenous tribal people, and no nation in our time period attempted to make incursions into the interior, being fully aware of the impossibility of maintaining rule.

Ternate and Tidore are the only nations in the aptly named Spice Islands. Tidore and Ternate share a small mission tree that allows them to colonize the surrounding islands. In 1444 they have a monopoly on a new trade good: Cloves. Cloves initially exist only on Tidore and Ternate themselves, but have a very high chance of being discovered on colonized provinces in the surrounding islands. With a base price of 8, a province effect of +20% local trade power, and a trading bonus of +5% trade efficiency Cloves are by far the most desirable trade good in the game prior to the availability of Coal. Note that as always, numbers presented in dev diaries are not final.

Te6KLEw.png

The formable nation of Malaya has undergone several changes. Firstly, the requirements have changed to owning at least 40 provinces in the Malaya or Indonesia regions, as well as several specific provinces depending on your religion. When you form Malaya, you’ll immediately get an event giving you the option of what to name your new nation. You can always choose Malaya or Nusantara (a geographical Malay term for the entire region). If you have the Srivijaya dynasty - Malacca begins with it in 1444 - you can choose Srivijaya, while if you form the nation as Majapahit you can choose to name yourself the Majapahit Empire. This uses the same cosmetic name change mechanic that we introduced with the Kingdom of God in 1.30.

That’s all for this week! I haven’t yet decided on the topic of next week’s dev diary - most likely we’ll focus on a major nation in South-East Asia. If there’s any nation either in Mainland or Maritime South-East Asia you want me to talk about in more detail for next week, let me know in the comments and I’ll consider it. Until then, have a great week!

tl;dr — extensive map changes, water around maritime SEA is now inland sea, new trade good (cloves), confirmed mission trees for Brunei and one shared by Tidore and Ternate, and Malacca is the only Ming tributary in 1444;

New religious map:
l0QyZe4.png

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
1.31 dev diary focusing on Ayutthaya.

Hello again! Last week I asked you all what nation you’d like me to focus on today, and the two most popular answers were Ayutthaya and Majapahit. Today I’ll focus on Ayutthaya, with Majapahit coming up next week.

dd_ayu-png.601509

Ayutthaya is the nation that would eventually become known to the West as Siam. It is named after its massive capital city, so large and so bustling with activity that even its canals were filled with floating markets. By 1700 it may have had 1 million inhabitants, making it one of the largest cities on the planet. In 1444 Ayutthaya is a nation on the rise. In 1378 it subjugated Sukhothai, taking its place as the dominant Thai kingdom. In 1431, Ayutthaya sacked the great city of Angkor, capital of the Khmer Empire. The devastation wrought by the Thai armies was so great that the following centuries are known as the Dark Age of Cambodia - more on that in a later dev diary. Ayutthaya also rules the vassal kingdom of Ligor on the Malay Peninsula, and would go on to launch a narrowly unsuccessful invasion of Malacca and a more successful subjugation of its smaller kingdoms like Pattani.

dd_trailok-png.601510

By 1444 Sukhothai is barely even a subject kingdom. Taking advantage of the political situation, Ayutthaya appointed Prince Trailok as King of Sukhothai. Upon the death of his father, Trailok would inherit both kingdoms and rule from Ayutthaya. This will now happen in EU4.

In 1.30 Ayutthaya’s national ideas are both a little on the weak side and not especially supportive of a South-East Asian playstyle. I’ve made some changes to their national ideas to better reflect the flavor of the nation, focusing on vassal-play and diplomacy:

Code:
AYU_ideas = {

start = {

cavalry_power = 0.15

liberty_desire_from_subject_development = -0.2

}

bonus = {

diplomatic_annexation_cost = -0.15

}

trigger = {

tag = AYU

}

free = yes

white_elephant = {

vassal_income = 0.2

}

corvee_system = {

global_manpower_modifier = 0.25

}

trading_links = {

diplomatic_reputation = 1

}

ayu_foreign_mercenaries = {

merc_maintenance_modifier = -0.15

}

ayu_embassies = {

improve_relation_modifier = 0.3

}

phrai_luang = {

development_cost = -0.1

}

personal_executions = {

harsh_treatment_cost = -0.2

}

}

Of course it wouldn't be a South-East Asia update without new mission trees. Below is the new mission tree for Ayutthaya, which it shares with the formable nation of Siam:

dd_missions-png.601512

Ayutthaya’s mission tree rewards very few permanent claims. Instead, many missions award Subjugation CB’s, allowing Ayutthaya to vassalize large nations in a single war. Originally it was enough to simply have the required states owned by you or your subjects, but after some playtesting in both single player and multiplayer I judged these missions a little too powerful. So most subjugation missions additionally require reducing the liberty desire of relevant subjects. It’s not enough to have vassals in name, your subjects must be truly loyal to your will. Your National Ideas have an opportunity to shine here, but it certainly doesn’t hurt to complement them with Influence Ideas.

Some other interesting highlights:

• Completing the Embassy to Japan mission rewards you with the renowned Japanese adventurer Yamada Nagamasa as a general, as well as access to the Japanese Volunteers mercenary company (highly disciplined soldiers) based in Ayutthaya itself.
  • Completing the Devaraja mission grants a new estate privilege that causes Dharmic faith provinces to have no Religious Unity penalty. We’ll talk about Estate Privileges in more depth in a later dev diary, probably one focussing on the Khmer Empire.
  • Completing the Royal Absolutism mission awards the Chakravarti tier 1 government reform, which will have the (as yet unrevealed) new features of the Mandala reform without the penalties, as well as +10 Maximum Absolutism and +1 Monarch Administrative Power. It also raises your government rank to Empire. If you are playing as Ayutthaya, completing this mission is the only way to form Siam.
  • There are several elements of the leftmost branch of the mission tree that I can’t talk about yet, but the general idea is that you’re using various means to develop your nation, especially your capital, and ultimately making your capital into the most glorious city on earth.
  • The rightmost branch deals with Ayutthaya’s ambitions in Maritime SEA. Preparing an invasion of Malacca can severely harm Malacca’s relationship with the Ming, resulting in the loss of their tributary status. Further missions grant claims only on Centers of Trade in the region and require establishing trade power in the node.
  • The final missions of the central branch (not pictured) have you taking on East Asia’s only superpower - the mighty Ming dynasty - and claiming the Mandate of Heaven.

dd_revolution-png.601513

Ayutthaya can now experience a new Disaster, the Siamese Revolution. In 1688 a rebellion broke out in reaction to the increased European (especially French) imperial presence in Siam and the King’s perceived complicity in the influence these powers were exerting over the country. The stage is set for this Disaster when Ayutthaya has decent (~50) relations with a European power active in South-East Asia. When the Disaster begins, a series of events lead you towards either Openness or Reactionary options each with their own benefits and drawbacks. These events deal with the military, religious, commercial, and diplomatic power that Europeans attempted to impose on Ayutthaya. The disaster can end once you pursue one path to its conclusion.

dd_coup-png.601514

There are two possible endings to the Siamese Revolution, depending on whether you choose the Openness or Reactionary paths. The historical Reactionary path ends with the Siamese noble Phetracha launching a palace coup and seizing the throne, which historically led to an isolationist period for Ayutthaya - and was perhaps also a factor in Siam becoming the only power in SEA to avoid becoming part of a European colonial empire. This grants a permanent Foreign Spy Detection and Tolerance of the True Faith bonus, but will also destroy your relations with all European powers active in SEA. Following the alt history Openness path results in Phetracha’s arrest and execution, and instead instantly adds a large amount of institution progress in the capital for any institution that is not fully present in your capital but which have been embraced by any European power active in SEA. You’ll also get a permanent bonus to Institution Spread, but a permanent penalty to Foreign Spy Detection.

That’s all for today! Next week by popular demand we’ll focus on Majapahit and the disastrous situation they’ve found themselves in by 1444. Until then, have a good week!

edit: I just noticed the typo in the title. Well, too late. It's the twenty-firth now.

Moderator note:

As a reminder, @neondt is a content designer, not a programmer, therefore cannot reply on the programming side of the patch.

This development diary is about content design. Remain on topic.

Full sized mission trees are at least a positive, I guess.

Paradox should be hiring more people rather than relying on the work of fans, but at least in lieu of that they're not stubborn about accepting others' work.
Hi Neondt! With all those newly added provinces, will there also be more dynamic province names? It will make the game much more immersive if we have, say, Chinese province names in SEA if the nation is ruled by a Chinese monarch. For example, it's quite awkward to see the province of "Palembang" being displayed as "Palembang" when under the rule of a Chinese elite. In Ming-era Chinese literature, the place "Palembang" was widely known as "Jiugang旧港." In addition, the newly added province for the nation of Palembang, Lampung, was known as "Lanbang览邦" in the book History of Ming (明史) which was composed by historians at that time.

I'm really looking forward for them being added onto the map. Not just Chinese ones, but also Thai, Malay, Vietnamese dynamic names. If you're uncertain about some of them, I'll be glad to help you dig deep into a bunch of Chinese ancient scripts and find the most appropriate names. I'm certain it's not a difficult thing to implement, nevertheless, it would enhance the game by a lot.
Dynamic province names are cool but also very time consuming to write. I'd be happy to implement any scripted lists provided in the suggestion forums (in the game files you can find examples of these lists in common/province_names. Also, please tag me if you make anything like this). Given that I'm the only content designer right now and my to do list is very long I certainly won't have the time to research and implement this on my own, more "visible" content like the topic of this dev diary take priority.

fantadomat How do you make yourself play it right now with the unfixed debt bug turning the whole world passive and lifeless?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
fantadomat How do you make yourself play it right now with the unfixed debt bug turning the whole world passive and lifeless?
What do you mean? I haven't seen that shit. Tho i haven't updated since the release of the DLC. All those little fixes they in post release patches normally fuck up the game more.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
What do you mean? I haven't seen that shit. Tho i haven't updated since the release of the DLC. All those little fixes they in post release patches normally fuck up the game more.

It's a bug from 1.30.0. Weird you're not experiencing it.

Has anyone ever given a shit about the SEA region, ever?

Yes, duh, it's an incredibly interesting region during the period, and it's already fun to play.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
SEA is one of the richest regions to begin with. It's not as good for LARPing though, since hardly anyone here is familiar with its medieval history.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I found an old screenshot from my last Dithmarschen campaign:
71110174_526557074762188_8365298435095527424_n.png
Republic tradition is a perfectly balanced mechanic, nothing else to say on this matter.

Zariusz

Arbiter
Oh, and i forgot, even earlier, 5 days ago, closed alpha for MEIOU 3.0 started (earlier only few selected youtubers and streamers got it). You can apply for it on their discord.

thesecret1

Arcane
Oh, and i forgot, even earlier, 5 days ago, closed alpha for MEIOU 3.0 started (earlier only few selected youtubers and streamers got it). You can apply for it on their discord.
Can't wait for it. Very substantial changes in all the right places, this will be pure incline. They even promise to make the systems more clear for newcomers to understand, though personally I think the majority of systems there is already pretty self-explanatory. Then again, I remember the enigma of MEIOU 1.0 where you really didn't have a chance to understand stuff without a wiki.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

What's new to MEIOU 3? / cc thesecret1

I am still kinda new to Paradox games, so in turn their mods are all still a bit ... new to me. Would be cool to play a codex Voltaires Nightmare MP game though. ^^

thesecret1

Arcane

What's new to MEIOU 3? / cc thesecret1

I am still kinda new to Paradox games, so in turn their mods are all still a bit ... new to me. Would be cool to play a codex Voltaires Nightmare MP game though. ^^
National ideas revamp, large changes to economy, institutions rework, map changes... just shitloads of stuff

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom