Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Europa Universalis IV

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by dbx, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Xamenos Scholar Patron

Xamenos
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Restoring Byzantium is a classic, as thesecret1 said. But my absolute favorite start has to be Muscovy. It has a nice progression from regional nobody to world power, a series of enemies that have to be dealt with carefully (Golden Horde -> Lithuania -> Sweden) lest they prevent you from ever becoming a Great Power, and it puts you in the first line of the fight against the savage hordes and lets you spread civilization eastwards, one barbarian province at the time. I also quite like Brandenburg, eating up the HRE from the inside like a cancer. And both of them suit me in that I dislike fiddling with fleets and overseas colonies.

Date is, of course, always the earliest possible.

^ Top  
  2. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Thanks to the mana mechanics, stability is almost never an issue in EU4, just spend some mana on increasing your stability level and POOF!

^ Top  
  3. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    To be fair, stability was basically never an issue in EU3. Whenever you lost it you just maxed your slider for stability and got it back within a year or so.

Also, in regards to inflation, if you went bankrupt you lost 50% of your current inflation. It was actually a pretty viable strategy to completely abuse minting for a hundred years or so, both expanding and building lots of infrastructure, then intentionally bankrupt in a moment of relative safety. Generally you should be minting pretty hard in the early game since otherwise all those bureaucrats went to waste. And since the % penalty of inflation per year was itself based on the % of income you were minting, expanding your income early means that minting the same amount caused less inflation later.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    ^ Top  
  4. KazikluBey Augur Patron

KazikluBey
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    laughs in Magna Mundi

But yeah, I think stability felt like a bigger issue in EU2 than 3, though that recollection may be colored by AGC-EEP.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Zariusz Learned

Zariusz
    I was looking at my EU4 mod folders and i rembered that once i also tried to make a mod for EU4, alt his submod for MEIOU to be precise, it was... interesting time. Actually i would still work on it if MEIOU 3.0 was released, sadly when 3.0 will be released probably im not going to have time for modding because of studies.
    It was full of weird (and almost fantastical) alternative history ideas, stolen flags from HIP and over developed provinces, i even planned to add lost and mythical lands when my modding skills would grown enough.
    Latest images of political and cultural maps of my mod that i found
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Show Spoiler
    I even created this unholy map of balanced balkans
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Higher Game Arcane

Higher Game
    No more debt spirals now means AI Ming can become UberMing.

^ Top  
  7. Theodora Erudite Patron

Theodora
    I heard mixed opinions on just how fixed stuff was but ... dare I hope it's actually playable now?

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Theodora Erudite Patron

Theodora
    Moar NA updates, tl;dr:
    • "with fifty-six new tags, we’re adding more North American tags in this one overhaul than we have in the entire history of the Europa Universalis franchise"
    • several tags broken up, instead contained through federations (which have been expanded upon)
    • "fifty-three new provinces, not counting wastelands"
    • Appalachian wasteland provinces added
    • "We also tried to adopt a somewhat consistent standard in the naming of provinces, and revise province names accordingly. The new standard prefers the self-given names of a Native group (tribe, nation, band…) who lived in the region where we can find one."
    I love this; on top of the previous diaries (1, 2), they're finally giving the indigenous Americans some depth instead of being a mere placeholders for you to conquer.

Show Spoiler

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. thesecret1 Arcane

thesecret1
    :prosper:

^ Top  
  10. Mortmal Arcane

Mortmal
    Not seeing people on the forums threatening to immolate themselves if a fix is not released now, so i guess its playable.

• Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  11. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    That's pretty incline.

I wonder if they will do the same with south american tribes as well? I believe it would fit well, most brazilian tribes were nomads.

Gimme my Marajoaras so I can kick those Arawak back where they came from and create a vast amazonian civilization across the jungle. Or my Gaicurus so I can play the mongols of South America.

Bonus points if they managed to simulate the cannibalistic wars of the Tupi. That shit was metal. Eat them to take their strength!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Axioms Educated

Axioms
    Adding "wastelands" in Appalachia is not legitimate lol.

^ Top  
  13. Theodora Erudite Patron

Theodora
    They seem to be updating all the areas that were later subject to colonialism. SEA and North America down, I'd be surprised if Africa and South America didn't see similar treatment. There's no details yet, but we have it all but confirmed that Australia has a new religion, so presumably they're adding more to the continent than 'just' a religion to be erased by colonial elements.

And this is pretty much the direction people were asking them to go on the forums, so they are apparently listening for once (at least to those wanting to experience the game outside Europea and the Middle East.

I mean, if you'd read the post,

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    • incline incline x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    Just add like 15 tribes to brazil ffs

• Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Axioms Educated

Axioms

I did read it, I was just being pedantic about the "wasteland" name.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. GrafvonMoltke Savant

GrafvonMoltke
    Codex Europa tournament when?

^ Top  
  17. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I've been meaning to propose playing EU4 multi with the codex, but I find I can't bring myself to play it anymore. I just can't get immersed in the early modern period by playing this game, they've turned it into a souless mana-fueled husk. And if there is no convincing roleplaying of my country, why play.

All the metagaming that starts about what to colonize and how to hack the mana flows is turning me off. I'd only play if all players historically roleplay their countries.

• Despair Despair x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Theodora Erudite Patron

Theodora
    Anyone who plays grand strategy games as anything other than a kinda RPG is weird tbh. Minmaxing outside achievements is :prosper:af.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Zariusz Learned

Zariusz
    Who cares about meta, mana and minmaxing. When i play Eu4 i set some goals for myself and when i achieve them i start to play tall or start another campaign, like obligatory stronk Byzantium, restoring zoroastrian Eranshahr, reconquering Holy Land, giga Poland from Lubeck to Terebovl, turning Caucasus into high developed area under rule of Georgia, turning some small opm into local equivalent of rich italian city state etc. Though CK2 and MEIOU are better for larping and developing your lands.
    Many plays EU4 only to turn their homelands into rich powerful countries that would survive as important world powers through history.

Show Spoiler
    Or just to remove kebab

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. thesecret1 Arcane

thesecret1
    You should try playing with MEIOU mod.

^ Top  
  21. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I have, although it was a couple of years ago.

^ Top  
  22. Zariusz Learned

Zariusz
    Sadly they didnt update MEIOU for current version of eu4.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    Are they not working on it any more? I remember MEIOU for EUIV with one of the craziest modder stories - one guy explained in a developer diary that he has hired a babysitter for his kid for the time while he is working on the mod.

^ Top  
  24. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Most likely too many mods and they got bitchy over stupid shit. Also they saw that paracucks don't care about their shit and ignores them because they are petty little swedish cunts. I have noticed that most of the good mods hate paradox with passion,because they constantly try to fuck over the modders with constant updates and small changes to files and shit lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    Paradox' so called "DLC strategy" was what dissuaded me from modding EUIV. I may go for it, once they stop supporting it, because I'm already getting paid to sync changes to code, I'm not going to do it as a hobby too.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.