Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Europa Universalis IV

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Paradox making a fantasy game would be an absolute disaster.
They already tried with a Sci-Fi game and made Stellaris... and made it a 4X instead of a GSG.
Stellaris was actually decent IMO. Not great but decent, and you can sort of get away, stylistically, with having very lame politics. Not something you can reasonably do with a fantasy strategy game.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Paradox making a fantasy game would be an absolute disaster.

Sovereignity: Crown of Kings was ok if boring and simple, a Paradox made game of this type could definitely work.

S:CoK was published by Paradox, though, not developed by them. And it really didn't add much to the genre except for being province map based and not hex based.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Yeah, I'm not sure why people think current Paradox would be able to make a remotely good fantasy game.

If Paradox made a fantasy game the best bet would be CK3 minus some of the best CK3 features to fit in some mediocre fantasy features.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
here is my latest horror stories on youtube binge.

foHqBYA.png

0mFFnSu.png

GH68Oax.png

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
New mechanics for Sikhs and Zoroastrians :o next update seems all over the show but not complaining. (Also, hedgehogs!!)

Hello everyone! Today we’ll be exploring two of the smaller religions in Europa Universalis IV. Zoroastrianism and Sikhism. For the coming update we’ll be working on making these more interesting by giving them their own mechanics. Keep in mind that everything you see is very much work in progress, you’ll see a lot of my very temporary coder art.

So first let’s start with Sikhism. They already got some stuff in the game using events. Throughout the game's timeline as a Sikh you will go through the various Gurus that were a big part of shaping the faith in history. Each of these gurus would add their own modifier to the religion. We are now making this more integrated by making it a mechanic and adding some more player agency for what the player can do with this.

1603179262289-png.643961

UX is very much WIP, here it is showing you currently have Guru Nanak as your incumbent Guru and that Guru Angad is his future successor.

You still get gurus over the decades giving you various modifiers as you progress through the game. But I’ve also done that each Guru will provide three teachings unique to that guru that the player can pick between. In total there will be 30 teachings to pick between throughout the game, and once the guru that gives that teaching is succeeded the picked teaching becomes permanent and you can’t switch to the other two anymore. You can at max have 6 teachings, and for each teaching you take you will lose 1 missionary strength. Each teaching is associated with either Adm, Dip or Mil mana and cost 50 of their respective category of monarch power to enact.

1603179630458-png.643964

As Johan mentioned last dev diary I got sick so I don’t have a full list of the new guru’s values and teachings as some of these features got literally finished this morning and I haven’t had time to fix that yet. But I’ll provide a list as soon as it’s done for the people who love to crunch the numbers.

Next thing is my favorite religion of all time and why hedgehogs are holy. Zoroastrianism is one of the oldest religions still in existence and has a lot of fascinating things around it which is a shame that it has gone so long without having gotten any mechanics tied to it. If you didn’t know Hedgehogs are considered a sort of “holy dog” within Zoroastrianism, a creature of the light which is obviously why it’s the best religion.

Anyway so what are we actually doing with Zoroastrianism? Since in the start of the game they are not in any particularly strong position, a people in sort of a diaspora we’ve been focusing around that. We already have some remnants in Yazd but we are also adding the Parsi in Gujarat. At the start of the game the province Daman will start as Zoroastrians. But there is also an event that you will get if you employ a lot of Parsi Zoroastrian advisors that will let you convert the province to Parsi.

1603177870903-png.643941

Continuing with the diaspora theme their mechanic added to them will be based on the Coptic Blessings but instead called Rituals. The Zoroastrians have been given 5 fire temples they need to rekindle, like in their old decision, and as they do they will be rewarded.

1603177519699-png.643937

Keep in mind art here is WIP

The various rituals you can pick are as follows:

Yasna: -0.05 Yearly Corruption

Haoma: +5% Goods Produced Modifier

Navjote: +2% Missionary Strength

Manthras: +10% Governing Capacity

Dakhma: -5% Construction Cost

Also since we are talking about holy hedgehogs and zoroastrianism I believe it is only fair I show off my Lord Cyrus, King of Kings, king of Babylon, king of Sumer and Akkad, king of the four corners of the world(also known as my bedroom). Click on them for larger pictures.

33732034_1638442976205363_8390895207524073472_o.jpg

Curious boi

D-0ks6YXkAAg7Kz.jpg

Burrito boi

ET0cijLWoAgnRvr.jpeg

Hungry boi

1603179709594.png

Sleepy boi

Hope you’ve enjoyed today's dev diary! Do remember that today we are celebrating the 20 year anniversary of the EU Franchise. Among the hosts of the stream will be me so be sure to drop by! Cya there!

1603177482809-png.643936

Stream Schedule (all times in CEST)

13-14 - Dev Stories from EU1 and the board game with special guest Philippe Thibaut

14-15 - Dev Stories from EU2

15-17 - Dev Stories from EU3

17-18 - Break

18-21 - EU4, events and the upcoming board game Europa Universalis: The Price of Power with Aegir Games

And that's on top of the small extras Buddhism is getting and the implied new religion for Austronesia.

Zariusz

Arbiter
New mechanics for Sikhs and Zoroastrians :o next update seems all over the show but not complaining. (Also, hedgehogs!!)

Hello everyone! Today we’ll be exploring two of the smaller religions in Europa Universalis IV. Zoroastrianism and Sikhism. For the coming update we’ll be working on making these more interesting by giving them their own mechanics. Keep in mind that everything you see is very much work in progress, you’ll see a lot of my very temporary coder art.

So first let’s start with Sikhism. They already got some stuff in the game using events. Throughout the game's timeline as a Sikh you will go through the various Gurus that were a big part of shaping the faith in history. Each of these gurus would add their own modifier to the religion. We are now making this more integrated by making it a mechanic and adding some more player agency for what the player can do with this.

1603179262289-png.643961

UX is very much WIP, here it is showing you currently have Guru Nanak as your incumbent Guru and that Guru Angad is his future successor.

You still get gurus over the decades giving you various modifiers as you progress through the game. But I’ve also done that each Guru will provide three teachings unique to that guru that the player can pick between. In total there will be 30 teachings to pick between throughout the game, and once the guru that gives that teaching is succeeded the picked teaching becomes permanent and you can’t switch to the other two anymore. You can at max have 6 teachings, and for each teaching you take you will lose 1 missionary strength. Each teaching is associated with either Adm, Dip or Mil mana and cost 50 of their respective category of monarch power to enact.

1603179630458-png.643964

As Johan mentioned last dev diary I got sick so I don’t have a full list of the new guru’s values and teachings as some of these features got literally finished this morning and I haven’t had time to fix that yet. But I’ll provide a list as soon as it’s done for the people who love to crunch the numbers.

Next thing is my favorite religion of all time and why hedgehogs are holy. Zoroastrianism is one of the oldest religions still in existence and has a lot of fascinating things around it which is a shame that it has gone so long without having gotten any mechanics tied to it. If you didn’t know Hedgehogs are considered a sort of “holy dog” within Zoroastrianism, a creature of the light which is obviously why it’s the best religion.

Anyway so what are we actually doing with Zoroastrianism? Since in the start of the game they are not in any particularly strong position, a people in sort of a diaspora we’ve been focusing around that. We already have some remnants in Yazd but we are also adding the Parsi in Gujarat. At the start of the game the province Daman will start as Zoroastrians. But there is also an event that you will get if you employ a lot of Parsi Zoroastrian advisors that will let you convert the province to Parsi.

1603177870903-png.643941

Continuing with the diaspora theme their mechanic added to them will be based on the Coptic Blessings but instead called Rituals. The Zoroastrians have been given 5 fire temples they need to rekindle, like in their old decision, and as they do they will be rewarded.

1603177519699-png.643937

Also since we are talking about holy hedgehogs and zoroastrianism I believe it is only fair I show off my Lord Cyrus, King of Kings, king of Babylon, king of Sumer and Akkad, king of the four corners of the world(also known as my bedroom). Click on them for larger pictures.

Curious boi

D-0ks6YXkAAg7Kz.jpg

Burrito boi

ET0cijLWoAgnRvr.jpeg

Hungry boi

1603179709594.png

Sleepy boi

Hope you’ve enjoyed today's dev diary! Do remember that today we are celebrating the 20 year anniversary of the EU Franchise. Among the hosts of the stream will be me so be sure to drop by! Cya there!

1603177482809-png.643936

13-14 - Dev Stories from EU1 and the board game with special guest Philippe Thibaut

17-18 - Break

18-21 - EU4, events and the upcoming board game Europa Universalis: The Price of Power with Aegir Games

And that's on top of the small extras Buddhism is getting and the implied new religion for Austronesia.
Noice, though i dont even remember when was the last time when i used vanilla eu4.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

1603179262289-png.643961

1603179630458-png.643964

1603177870903-png.643941

1603177519699-png.643937

Curious boi

D-0ks6YXkAAg7Kz.jpg

Burrito boi

ET0cijLWoAgnRvr.jpeg

Hungry boi

1603179709594.png

Sleepy boi

1603177482809-png.643936

17-18 - Break

More like old mechanics,but yeah it is nice. I do enjoy playing as those religions from time to time. That said it will be nice to see some pagan european religions. It is not like the game is remotely historically accurate at this point,so...

Higher Game

Arcane
Is it just me, or is administrative/influence vs humanist/diplomacy the Kirk vs Picard of any opening ideas? It's massive mana savings against virtual immunity to coalitions and shameless personal union trolling, breaking more marriages than Casanova. I favor the former for its reliability, but I suspect the most lopsided meme games use the latter. Conservative vs liberal...

(or am I completely wrong and maritime/naval is somehow broken?)

EDIT: Picard for the win by the way.

Gamezor

Learned
Does the latest dlc still fuck up the game? And is it the dlc that’s the problem or the patch?

Mortmal

Arcane
Does the latest dlc still fuck up the game? And is it the dlc that’s the problem or the patch?
Nah it works now, just had to wait 4 months, everyone to write multiple angry threads, review bomb, and personally wrote to them. Then they finally patched it, fired the QA and fixed it .

Gamezor

Learned
Nah it works now, just had to wait 4 months, everyone to write multiple angry threads, review bomb, and personally wrote to them. Then they finally patched it, fired the QA and fixed it .

Awesome the changes sound cool. If I ever get sick of Death Stranding Ill pick it up.

thesecret1

Arcane
Eh, blobbing and shit. Guess everyone does that on their first playthrough though. Make sure to move onto mods to get to the real part of the game; vanilla is basically just tutorial.

Blobbing is the first stepping stone towards mastery of the game. Then the "real part" become the so-called meme runs which are generally difficult to pull off and tend to incorporate a degree of pure luck as you tackle them. I'm talking along the lines of driving out the Ottomans from the Balkans and Anatolia as Knights of Rhodes, getting Wallachia/Serbia/Albania into HRE before you get roflstomped by the powers around you, unifying Japan as fast as you can to reverse-colonize Europe etc etc.
The real fun of these grand strategy games is in pushing the boundaries to see how crazy can your playthrough get.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Blobbing is the first stepping stone towards mastery of the game. Then the "real part" become the so-called meme runs which are generally difficult to pull off and tend to incorporate a degree of pure luck as you tackle them. I'm talking along the lines of driving out the Ottomans from the Balkans and Anatolia as Knights of Rhodes, getting Wallachia/Serbia/Albania into HRE before you get roflstomped by the powers around you, unifying Japan as fast as you can to reverse-colonize Europe etc etc.
The real fun of these grand strategy games is in pushing the boundaries to see how crazy can your playthrough get.
To be fair, all those amount to "blobbing from a harder starting position". Vanilla EU4 is not a deep game.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

That sounds like fun actually.

To be fair, all those amount to "blobbing from a harder starting position". Vanilla EU4 is not a deep game.
Not necessarily. With the option to manually develop the provinces, tall play is more than viable. And in some of these absurd scenarios, again - depending on your luck, you just might have to spend 200-300 years consolidating your power bit by bit and just trying to overall survive.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom