Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Evaluation of various trends among KS and post-KS-era isometric RPGs

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
(e.g. the wave of fantasy titles that capitalized on nostalgia such as PoE, DOS, PK, TToN, Tyranny, etc.)

• Rich visual presentation (Neutral)
  • Feature bloat (cooking, fishing, sailing, camping, other minigames, etc.) (Bad)
  • Comprehensive voice overs (Bad - waste of time, energy, resources)
  • QoL improvements (Good - no downside)
  • Visibility and transparency of "back end" combat feedback, stat calculations, etc. (Good)
  • Slick and functional UI (Good)
  • Companion-oriented gameplay (Neutral)
  • Accessibility at the expense of core systems (Very bad)
  • Lack of distinctive art direction (Bad)
  • Music and audio quality (Good)
  • Exposition and "lore dumps" (Bad)
  • ???

Discuss.

Deleted Member 16721

I'm starting to come around to voice acting. I'll still play the classics in a heartbeat but in my older age I'm starting to like some of this new-fangled stuff.

Dorateen

Arcane
Requiring the player to pay if they want a custom party, via Adventurers Guild (PoE) or however they did it in P:KM. This trend was also perpetuated in Bard's Tale IV, with their moronic Mercenary Tokens.

Because apparently kickstarter generation cannot handle making more than one character from the very start.

J1M

Arcane
Requiring the player to pay if they want a custom party, via Adventurers Guild (PoE) or however they did it in P:KM. This trend was also perpetuated in Bard's Tale IV, with their moronic Mercenary Tokens.

Because apparently kickstarter generation cannot handle making more than one character from the very start.
There's nothing I hate more in modern RPGs than companions. They are intentionally crafted to be mechanically dull. They talk way too much about things I don't care about, and rarely are they the type of person that would survive a camping trip, let alone an adventure.

If the system is interesting, I want to experiment with it, which means party creation.

I'm also completely open to being given specific characters for specific segments of the game if they are mechanically interesting. But developers, nobody wants to read your prose. Just stop.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Yeah, something like that.

I'd say most of them had elaborate visuals (albeit without a particular art direction), good music, audio, everything voice acted, modern interface...

However, the only incline among that were UI and QoL improvements.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom