Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Everyone says it is shit...but I liked it!

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Right, I forgot about NecroVision. I always like FPS titles with kicking and rifles (WW1+2 era).
FarCry2 with Dylan Mod is playable.
Two Worlds 2 - same case like FC2 and G3 - better with mods (in this case Worldmerge).

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Spellforce 1 - I know it's not univerally panned but it's never received much love. It was admittedly mostly a gimmick for a hybrid RPG/strategy combination, but it certainly had its charm and entertainment. The sequel on the other hand was bland garbage and felt like Neverwinter Jr.
Gotta agree here, Spellforce 1 was alright. Mediocre RPG/hack and slash + bad RTS = pretty good game somehow. The sequel was shit, but I can't pinpoint why. I tried playing it twice, and I quit after 2-3 hours both times.

This talk of Russian games made me remember this:

jgwqPdW.jpg

zzJr8mE.jpg

I played the entire campaign with no regrets.
The evil Aztec emperor escapes Russia in a submarine setting up a sequel that never was.
It was like an RTS equivalent of a weird B action movie. Not good, but entertaining if you're in the right mindset.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Spellforce 1 - I know it's not univerally panned but it's never received much love. It was admittedly mostly a gimmick for a hybrid RPG/strategy combination, but it certainly had its charm and entertainment. The sequel on the other hand was bland garbage and felt like Neverwinter Jr.
Gotta agree here, Spellforce 1 was alright. Mediocre RPG/hack and slash + bad RTS = pretty good game somehow. The sequel was shit, but I can't pinpoint why. I tried playing it twice, and I quit after 2-3 hours both times.
Number 2 is weird, The impact of weapons from heroes is confusing. And so far I burned through the RTS part with only archers.
Gotta check out 1 fo'sho.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Massu Effecto 1 and 2 - mostly because I like space opera and I don't mind some popamolin' from time to time.
Dynasty/Samurai Warriors - I played only DW8XL and SW4. I don't know why I enjoyed these games so much, when I first playing DW8 it seemed like a really stupid, repetitive, "shallow" game and my first thought was to uninstall it, but for some reason I kept playing. Both games have really cool soundtracks.

A user named cat

Codexers showing their true face.
Says the guy who vehemently defends Two Worlds which has been in the $5 stackamole bargain bin since a year after its release. Do I really need to explain what is wrong with a game that is essentially the redheaded stepchild of Oblivion and Gothic? Nay. Praytell, art thou a dumbfuck? Ye foul shit taste beast. Forsooth!

nomask7

Arcane
Says the guy who vehemently defends Two Worlds which has been in the $5 stackamole bargain bin since a year after its release. Do I really need to explain what is wrong with a game that is essentially the redheaded stepchild of Oblivion and Gothic? Nay. Praytell, art thou a dumbfuck? Ye foul shit taste beast. Forsooth!

No, you don't have to. You can just pretend your passing familiarity with the game is equivalent to my multiple playthroughs. Or do you want to compare IQ's? I bet mine is higher than yours.

A user named cat

No, you don't have to. You can just pretend your passing familiarity with the game is equivalent to my multiple playthroughs. Or do you want to compare IQ's? I bet mine is higher than yours.
Verily.

duBklW7.jpg

Archibald

Arcane
I have enjoyed an indecent amount of totally generic J-RPG and pixel-art plateformers, Of Orcs And Men, Krater, HoMM4.

I don't think that Rage of mages 1&2 or Return to Krondor are really so bad games.

Are Rage of Mages 1/2 considered bad games? Truly not masterpieces, but I don't remember them being hated much. In fact I think they are often mentioned when someone talks about non-shit games developed by Russians.

Monocause

Arcane
Master of Orion 3, but it doesn't feel fair mentioning it here as it definitely wasn't a shit game. Terribly broken at release, yes. Total and probably uncalled for departure from the mechanics established by popular predecessors, yes. Then they patched it to the point where most of the game's systems begun actually working, and modders did stellar work on it, and I played the shit out of it back in the day. It's a very unique game with many flaws still present but I loved it dearly and don't play it anymore only because of certain annoyances that I've grown to be too impatient to stomach compared to my younger days (for example, battles are a non-fixable mess so you autoresolve them but later in the game you can have 40 instances of combat per turn, and then there's bombardment and ground combat and just clicking through it all drives me nuts).

If someone would release a game like MoO3 nowadays, I'd buy it in an instant. Even if it was in a similarily terrible state at release.

Apart from that - this thread made me realise I haven't really had guilty gaming pleasures in years. After gaming for 20 years I somehow have developed a compass that prevents me from giving shit titles a shot even when I'm madly drunk buying a random indie game for a fiver on steam. Music, on the other hand, is a different topic entirely...

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I don't think that Rage of mages 1&2 or Return to Krondor are really so bad games.
Somebody's saying Rage of Mages games were bad?
I have enjoyed an indecent amount of totally generic J-RPG and pixel-art plateformers, Of Orcs And Men, Krater, HoMM4.

Are Rage of Mages 1/2 considered bad games? Truly not masterpieces, but I don't remember them being hated much. In fact I think they are often mentioned when someone talks about non-shit games developed by Russians.

OK, so i was wrong toward the overall impression. I agree with what you say. I can't compare with other russian RPGs since they are probably the only ones i played and actually know that they are russian.

Vibalist

Arcane
I agree with whoever said Hitman Absolution. It has a lot going for it. The AI is solid, so are the shooting mechanics. The disguise system is a bit weird and nonsensical, but it works pretty well on normal difficulty. The only real problem it has is small levels and too much railroading (which, admittedly, is a very, very huge problem for a Hitman game). If it wasn't for the level design I would easily elevate it from a 6/10 to a solid 8.

IO have said they'll work on the levels for the next title. I hope they're not bullshitting. You can definitely tell that Absolution, for all its flaws, was designed by competent game developers.

FAKE EDIT: Also, bring back Jesper Kyd ffs.

MaskedMan

very cool
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Call of Juarez the Cartel. :oops:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom