Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Evil West?

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Anyone played this? It seems to be a pseudo-realistic 3rd person action, supernatural-infested-Wild-West "dispatch your enemies with style and efficiency" type of deal. Looks quite cool in the vids, for some brainless, spectacular action.

Melcar

Arcane
It seemed interesting since the premise always intrigues me, but then I saw the trailers and some gameplay. Puked a little.

orcinator

Liturgist
Yet shill up does...

It just looks bad to me no matter what either of them say.

shill man doesn't like it

This is the "one always lies one always tells the truth" riddle but both always lie and yet they're saying opposite things here.
Whose broken clock moment is this? Probably the first one (shill man) since it does look like shit and coincidentally comes from devs with a bad-mediocre track record.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It looks like a God of Boy clone, so if you like that you'll probably like this, if you don't, you won't. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Eh, it looks like a WW version of Warframe, and I liked Warframe.

One can't always be playing thoughtful, cerebral games, you know :)

Codex Year of the Donut
hate weird west settings that are overly magical, like the game takes place in the wild west version of forgotten realms.
Only game that did it right was Hard West. The supernatural aspects should be subtle.

I haven't been able to enjoy a single Flying Wild Hog game yet and this one looks even worse than their previous efforts.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
hate weird west settings that are overly magical, like the game takes place in the wild west version of forgotten realms.
Only game that did it right was Hard West. The supernatural aspects should be subtle.

Yeah I had an initial go at Hard West (the first one) recently, seems like a good game.

There's definitely something perennially intriguing about blending supernatural and/or s-f themes with the Wild West as a concept, but there seem to be more ways of going wrong with it than of going right.

I think the best approach is probably to keep your head screwed on that the time period in question is essentially the same time as Victorian-period stuff in the UK and Europe, that way you keep it all within a sensible orbit.

IOW, if you're dealing with the supernatural, it's got to stick fairly close to the "gothic" Victoriana of vampires, ghosts and werewolves, if with s-f, then it's going to be in the area of Jules Verne/H.G. Wells-ish tech.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
My opinion is this:

The cons: long cutscenes, closed-arenas-only combat, exploration done in GO HERE, DO YOU SEE THE BIG ICON PLAYER (why do they even make games that are apparently not for kids audiences—being gory beyond measure—but they lead you by the hand?)

And, as a cherry on top, you will probably never know which doors, vaulting posts, ladders, etc. will close the rest of the map for you and when. You wanted to explore the whole map for the treasures, unlockables, and lore bits? Tough luck; this ain't the kind of game where you can explore freely. The word is there to lure people in, you know, sohree (replay the mission, Bucko)?

The whatevers: good graphics, okay sounds, no crashing. The action itself. I mean, it's not bad; it's even okay. But whether you use skills or not, everything feels kind of repetitive after some time. It's probably because every monster usually (but not always, to be completely honest) takes bazzillions of punches before it's dead, and it doesn't matter if you've electrified it first, stunned it first, ignited it first, hitted from left, right, bottom, lifted, downed, shot with this, shot with that, etc. There's actually a notification telling you that you haven't used skills for some time and you might be forgetting. Jokes on you, game. I tend to forget to use the skills because they feel strangely forgettable, despite the many physical and visual effects they cause.

The pros: long cutscenes (yeah, I feel it's both). Combat on hard tends to be hard and demanding. I would say that boss fights are not especially unforgiving, but they are reasonably tough and usually veeeeery long, with surprising numbers of 'and now this?!' moments. Thus, they serve as a good trainer for learning to keep your focus for a prolonged period of time. Some 'arenas' allow you to move around in larger spaces or use some environment. That's nice. The monsters are arguably original and imaginative. The experiences, perks, and weapon upgrades all bring at least some feeling of progression, and that's always good in FPSs (sorry, 3rdPVSs ). The story seems, after a few hours of gameplay, okay. Engaging at times. The menus, the overall look, and the atmosphere are... great, actually!

I can't help but feel pangs of frustration. How come there was so much love being poured into the latter, but little of it was spared for creating well-thought-out gaming parts?

Last edited:

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Edit: I may have judged the combat a bit harshly. After another few hours, better skills actually allow for faster killing and a variety that "matters". At least sometimes.
I don't know... I don't think it's a bad game; it's just a shame to see the nefarious parts leaving the 'not again' aftertaste.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Anyone played this? It seems to be a pseudo-realistic 3rd person action, supernatural-infested-Wild-West "dispatch your enemies with style and efficiency" type of deal. Looks quite cool in the vids, for some brainless, spectacular action.
Hmm, I wouldn't believe it'd be possible, and I certainly wouldn't have gone looking for such a phenomenon in a game I criticized after playing for 5 hours.
I must admit that after many and many hours (10–15+), the game has only gotten better and better. Why it reared the developing clichés ugly head for the first 5 or so hours only to start shining much later is beyond me :D
Don't get me wrong, some of the reprobate stuff hasn't gone, but I now think that the reviewers had a similar experience as me, and on top of that, played only on normal.

Because you see:

1. Missions started to not only signalize the 'no turning back' points—if you've paid attention to the game's structure enough before, that is—but also introduce some of the path-interconnectedness. Whoa!
2. It seems that there are quite a few treasures that I didn't find. And here, I thought it was rather simple! Nice!
3. As far as the boss and the semi-boss (read: reused bosses with waves of lesser creatures) fights are considered, the combat has gotten much tougher. Even to the point of a proper, keyboard-through-the-window-throwing kind of frustration sometimes. Grrrr!
4. I tried playing on normal instead of hard for a while. Turns out, the game actually really feels boring that way. In normal, you can just button-mash and be done with it. On hard, healing is sparse or you have to fight for it, and you are forced to utilize most of the learned perks, acquired skills, understand how to use monsters against each other, and truly strategically choose which danger to get rid of first and how. Button mashing often results in accidental deaths. There's no shortage of that happening in under 3 seconds from the full HP bar. Generally, by a mere mob creature landing two weak strikes after you've forgotten to mind that somewhere behind your back a stronger enemy has probably just finished charging its extra-strong attack, eheh.

There are healing monsters, monsters healing other monsters, monsters killing you with one or two blows, monsters with damage-reflecting shields, swarming monsters, tank monsters with AoEs, some(!) delayed stunning attacks (oh how I hate you again :), and on top of that, often the semi-boss (or two!) with their own skill-set of shenanigans. Banzaaai!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom