Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Exiled Kingdoms on PC

Exiled Kingdoms a hidden Gem, or turd of turds

• Gem

Votes: 25 55.6%
  • Turd

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • Go away

Votes: 16 35.6%

• Total voters

Wulfris

Literate
So. New here. Don't know squat. But, I've lurked for a while and you guys seem to give a damn about CRPGs. You guys introduced me to Arcanum, so it seems natural to ask for opinons on the new steam release Exiled Kingdoms.

A quick search showed it originated on Mobile, and it seems the creator is active here? I looked for a sub forum, but didn't see anything. Anyway.

Exiled Kingdoms. Yay, or Nay? Specifically the PC port, because PC master race.

oh. a link in case you are lazy.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/788270/Exiled_Kingdoms/

fabrulana

Augur
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Don't know about PC, but thanks for pointing this out for mobile. I have been looking for a quick playable RPG like in forever. Would have preferred tactical battles, but this will do for now.

Sinatar

Arbiter
I played the phone version awhile ago, it wasn't very good.

If you want a mobile RPG that's actually good check out The Quest.

Dumbfuck
The Quest got a Steam release a wee while back as well. It's definitely worth picking up as it has a hilarious amount of content in it, not even including the massive (and cheap) expansions that will almost certainly get PC versions as well.

They are apparently working on The Quest II, but they have been saying that for a long time, so I'm not sure if it's even near a release state. They have been coasting on the success of The Quest for at least 10 years. Pretty sure it was a PDA game originally that released in like 05 or some shit.

This game caught my eye when it popped up in my Steam queue, but how good can a mobiel port be...

A good game once I got into it. However it has some flaws. The combat is poor. Some of the art assets are open source. The quests can be a little bit repetitive.
However, if only the combat were improved it would be an excellent game. I am enjoying it.

Dux

Arcane
Why do the NPCs stand around like they're ready to take a knee all the time? Absolutely abysmal posture.

deama

Prophet
Can anyone give a review of the systems the game uses? Like do the attributes do a lot of interesting things (attack speed, mov speed, evasion, crit)? Are there fun/interesting skills?

Last edited:
Can anyone give a review of the systems the game uses? Like do the attributes do a lot of interesting things (attack speed, mov speed, evasion, crit)? Are there fun/interesting skills?

I've only played 5 hours so far.

I wouldn't say they do a great deal of interesting things or make the combat anything different than clicking (Diablo 3). However, with every level increase you will receive points to spend on new special attacks/abilities. These abilities can be improved.

I have the whirlwind attack. I have improved this to level 3. I'm not sure this really has much of an impact on the way I play.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, you know, the moment I come here and begin to "sell" my game or "defend" it, RPGCodex will no longer be a fun place to me, just more work like the other forums. I come here to laugh, read about old RPGs or see what other people is developing in the Workshop, and above all shitpost. You don't sell vacuum-cleaners to your bros at the bar at midnight, if you know what I mean. Plus I never was much of a salesman in the first place...

Alright, since I am here, a honest breakdown on what to expect from the usual tastes around the place. The game has some things that "ended up that way" because the scope of the game evolved from "let's make a online mobile game in 3 months" to "no wait, let's go full-fledged single-player RPG with more dialogues than BG". Maybe that's what made it a big success among players, but some things may not please the average codexian stock. Combat can be tricky because it requires gear and skill choices, but it is not tactical. However there are other aspects of the game that I think are great, like the open-world design with *real* freedom, the challenge level or the quests that I myself love and I doubt you can find in most games of the last 20 years. The early content and areas are simple, as it was the first stuff I designed, but they get better as the game advances. Some quests are influenced by 4-5 other quests, or influence many others in return (and in fun ways, too) and have big effect over the world. Similarly, the system is a bit plain until you get to the Advanced Skills around level 8-10 or so and can customize unique builds. But it is certainly not a system-heavy game, nor intends to.

Last edited:
Combat can be tricky because it requires gear and skill choices, but it is not tactica

I don't quite understand that, unless I am playing the game wrong and/or misunderstand the combat. Isn't the combat just a clickfest/button-mash? The only tactical element I can work out is the "flanking". Perhaps I am missing a lot but the game did not make anything else obvious to me about how to do combat.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
First of all, no button mashing is required. Weapon attacks at its speed rating constantly, you can hold down attack key or mouse. But if you read what I said, you'll see I said it is not tactical. Can be considered a bit tactical as yeah, flanking is a factor, as is moving to a narrow corridor when surroundered, etc but overall combat is about action in this game.

Obviously if you just picked 1 warrior skill then yeah, combat for you will consist in using one skill all the time, heh. But if you play a mage for instance, and diversify over several spells in the early levels, the game is much more interesting. Try for instance Mage Armor + Lightning. Same with a rogue, more fragile but with a "kill" button if you pick the Stab skill, and maybe Sprint or Trap Mastery to slow down enemies or kite them while Stab recharges. Warrior is the more straightforward class and the one requiring less thinking/maneuvering around, although there are some interesting skills like Combat Fury, or Bash to interrupt casters, and once you reach advanced skills they get Battle Rage that is another interesting button to mash "at the right time" as it cancels many negative effects that are often deadly.

If you're finding combat uninteresting, I advise playing a rogue, start with Stab I and then see where that leads you.

Last edited:

Geckabor

Savant
Alright, this thread persuaded me into buying this game. My biggest worry is that the mentioned systems aren't going to carry the 120+ hours supposedly required to finish the game, but we'll see.

Alright, this thread persuaded me into buying this game. My biggest worry is that the mentioned systems aren't going to carry the 120+ hours supposedly required to finish the game, but we'll see.

There's a hell of a lot of content and the map is large, so that's not a worry. I am about 6 hours in and a little bored now. I think some elements are just a little too simple and repetitive. Its just missing a few key ingredients in my opinion.
Its almost a very good game and there is much to enjoy but I wish a few elements like combat and loot had been sorted out first. I think the dungeons are pretty good. Some interesting quests there.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer

There's a hell of a lot of content and the map is large, so that's not a worry. I am about 6 hours in and a little bored now. I think some elements are just a little too simple and repetitive. Its just missing a few key ingredients in my opinion.
Its almost a very good game and there is much to enjoy but I wish a few elements like combat and loot had been sorted out first. I think the dungeons are pretty good. Some interesting quests there.

I admit the combat is not the one I'd have envisioned for a PC game. But in my defense, some of the best RPGs in history have shitty combat :troll:

Like I said, try mage or rogue for a more varied combat. Mage is very challenging at the early levels though.

Jinn

Arcane
DavidBVal I played this for a couple hours last night and liked a lot of what I saw. Made me very excited to see what you're capable of with your ideal combat system, all original assets/art/music, and a more PC-centric development in general.

I was wondering if there is any chance of higher resolution options? I'm worried that I know the answer already. If there isn't any possibility of this, is there any way to play it windowed or a chance of that option being added?

Also, I have a feeling you've thought about this already as well, but being able to interact with objects and NPCs by clicking on their models would be much improved to the current system of a box popping up in the right corner. Any possibility of that changing as well?

I would probably wait to play further if either of the above issues are resolvable, but if not I would certainly continue. It's a pretty addictive game so far with a lot of heart.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
DavidBVal I played this for a couple hours last night and liked a lot of what I saw. Made me very excited to see what you're capable of with your ideal combat system, all original assets/art/music, and a more PC-centric development in general.

Thanks! the one more anxious to do a "proper" RPG is myself, right now this feels like being pregnant for 4 years. I really need to start a new project in which I am not forced to "compromise" on anything.

But...

I was wondering if there is any chance of higher resolution options? I'm worried that I know the answer already. If there isn't any possibility of this, is there any way to play it windowed or a chance of that option being added?

Also, I have a feeling you've thought about this already as well, but being able to interact with objects and NPCs by clicking on their models would be much improved to the current system of a box popping up in the right corner. Any possibility of that changing as well?

See, I still have work to do en EK. I'll see what I can do with resolution but it's not easy, with hundreds of different tilesets and sprites already in the current resolution, and some of them even without the original 3D files. More will be announced soon.

Windowed mode: go to settings. Uncheck fullscreen.

DavidBVal Would you say this is more Nox than Diablo then?

I just know of Nox vaguely.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom