Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Exoplanet: First Contact - a space western action-RPG - now available on Early Access

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/287489203/exoplanet-first-contact
Steam Greenlight: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=93077318

https://alersteam.com

Apparently it's been in development for years now. Seeking $45,000 on Kickstarter, $10 early bird pledge.

(More videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/Alersteam/videos)

Exoplanet: First Contact is a single-player, story driven action RPG set in a Space Western universe. Here, real and fictional technologies meet the cruel and unforgiving, yet romantic reality of the Wild West.

You are Jack Sharp, a daring adventurer, stranded on a dangerous, wild planet known as K’Tharsis. K’Tharsis is a former mining outpost, gradually becoming a ghost colony as the Antigravium Crystal Rush is over and the inhabitants struggle for survival.

Exoplanet is inspired by games, movies and fictional worlds that changed the team’s vision of the RPG experience. We mixed the best of TESIII: Morrowind, Gothic, Fallout with the Firefly TV-series and the Dune Universe. These are the main ingredients defining the look and feel of Exoplanet.

Nostalgia alone isn’t the best foundation for a new universe, and that is why Exoplanet: First Contact is made with modern technology and hard-core game design.

Exoplanet: First Contact is a mix of an RPG and an action game. The player will decide how the story will unfold as he makes choices during the game that will affect the outcome.

There’s also a serious amount of action, with classic gun-slinging with futuristic weapons. You have access to a wide range of guns allowing you to snipe targets at long range, or take out targets in mid to short range with assault rifles or shotguns. There’s even a set of melee weapons when you want to get close and personal.

Through focus, you can hone your skills on a specific category, or you can rise as a jack-of-all-trades using the entire array of weapons and skills available.

As a skilled shooter, you’ll also be able to use the environment to your advantage as you’ll be able to activate or destroy objects to maximize the damage you can inflict on your enemy.

By talking to non-player-characters and listening to the dialogs you will be able to find new, more profitable ways to solve quests, but you will also be able to unearthen treasure as you will be able to influence them. The inhabitants of K'tharsis have their own background, motives, problems, quirks, and their own story to tell. Play your cards right, and they might even warn you on upcoming assassination attempts.

Exoplanet will also introduce innovative elements of survival to give the player a more immersive experience. If you choose to turn these options on, Jack will need sleep, food and water to be able to survive. Not having enough of either will affect his physical and mental condition! So make sure Jack roasts plenty of bitebugs and juicy hornhog steaks to keep it healthy, ready to take on the next bandits!

As in any good RPG, you can unlock a number of special skills and upgrades. With the perks on Kickstarter, you can already unlock some very special skills, which will not only increase the information you can gather, but they will also give some new options for solving quests. It won’t affect the balance or the overall gameplay.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
I already backed it. I dig the art design and the video of the gameplay looked good enough (a bit unpolished but that is to expect from a alpha version of the game). The early bird is only 10$ and lowest non early bird only 15$.

I am also a huge fan of Firefly and this gave a good vibe :)

MightyHoax

Educated
Project: Eternity
Will be released in chapters with aprox. 10 hour gameplay each...

$100 tier says: +All chapters of Exoplanet: First Contact. Is only the first chapter included in the lower tiers then?

edit: apparently yes:
"Our long term plan is to make each next Chapter of Exoplanet bigger and better, with more content and gameplay mechanics. That means any additional funding will be much welcome, so initially we decided to sell each Chapter separately. After considering options we also decided to improve the FULLY LOADED rewards pack for those backers who really want to support the development of all upcoming Chapters. This pack gives now access to all Exoplanet’s Chapters immediately after their release."

imweasel

There can only be one true space western!

:outrage:

Just kidding, I don't give a shit.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Full game for $100? WTF

It all boils down to how much content is there in the first chapter. If there's not a lot of it then the full game definitely isn't worth the $100 price tag. However, if it is then the $100 tier is worth it.

Alfons

Prophet
I suppose this is why most pitch videos don't show gameplay. Looks like shit.

Animal

Savant
Shitposter
Meh, another gathering/crafting game...

If it was a Firefly like RPG or Freelancer clone instead...

Does look cute for people who like that sort of stuff.

Rafal

Literate
Meh, another gathering/crafting game...

If it was a Firefly like RPG or Freelancer clone instead...

Does look cute for people who like that sort of stuff.

Yeah i like this sort of stuff, in for beta testing other episodes will decide later no need to get them all now.

Rafal

Literate
Pledged early bird just to be sure, but this chapter stuff has to be explained better.. Because I won't be waiting 9 more kickstarters to get the game..

Yeah me neither
I dont think they will need another kickstarter after first part is on Steam, on other hand devs of Wasteland 2 who made millions did launch The Bards Tale IV kickstarter

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Yeah me neither
I dont think they will need another kickstarter after first part is on Steam, on other hand devs of Wasteland 2 who made millions did launch The Bards Tale IV kickstarter

Because it requires more millions to make games. If every game would make enough money to make another game publishers would never exist. The reality is - there is always someplace Devs need to go to get extra cash for next game, unless they want to make smaller and smaller games each time.

Dyskolos

Cipher
I hate the episodic idea if it's really the case, but it indirectly got me to back this. If they'd had to ask something like $30 for a whole game I doubt I would've had enough faith. But $10 for space western is worth the gamble.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Even with future chapters... 10h for 75$ ain't such a hot deal...
Than you get it for 10$ or 15$ and it is 10h for main story content, and who knows how much for the side stuff. Someone on KS asked for a tier that lets you just get all the future chapters without any extra stuff for less than 100$ and they said they will do that.

Maschtervoz

Learned
The pitch sounds interesting enough, but:
1. Chapters
2. I generally hate crafting
3. "smart-ass charismatic scoundrel" sounds like it's going to be one of those obnoxious "witty" characters that feel like the writer is constantly yelling LOOK HOW FUNNI I AM and just make me want to delete all dialogue in the game
4. Survival eat-sleep-drink stuff in games where the overall design does not revolve around survival and scarcity in the first place is a very dumb idea that brings absolutely nothing of value

I guess I'll give the first chapter a try when it's out and maybe back future ones if the game turns out good.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
3. "smart-ass charismatic scoundrel" sounds like it's going to be one of those obnoxious "witty" characters that feel like the writer is constantly yelling LOOK HOW FUNNI I AM and just make me want to delete all dialogue in the game.

Well, they list DA:O and Borderlands as inspirations, so I like to imagine it as a combination of Alistair and Tiny Tina.

Also,

YtS5glg.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom