Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Exoplanet: First Contact - a space western action-RPG - now available on Early Access

ArchAngel

Arcane
The pitch sounds interesting enough, but:
1. Chapters
2. I generally hate crafting
3. "smart-ass charismatic scoundrel" sounds like it's going to be one of those obnoxious "witty" characters that feel like the writer is constantly yelling LOOK HOW FUNNI I AM and just make me want to delete all dialogue in the game
4. Survival eat-sleep-drink stuff in games where the overall design does not revolve around survival and scarcity in the first place is a very dumb idea that brings absolutely nothing of value

I guess I'll give the first chapter a try when it's out and maybe back future ones if the game turns out good.
1. They explained Chapters in update. it is a self contained story with everything you would expect and additional chapters will add more story.
2. You can probably ignore it.
3. Maybe and maybe not
4. How do you know there will not be scarcity? Or survival? Needing to sleep, eat and drink can be an effective money sink and rest limiter if there are abilities that depend on rest.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
1. They explained Chapters in update. it is a self contained story with everything you would expect and additional chapters will add more story.

Well, they explained that a Chapter isn't really a chapter, but more like one the LotR movies, long, meaty, and "a complete adventure" (I remember those movies differently, but I never saw the Russian cut). So really, they're books. But they're called Chapters.

28.8bps Modem

Prophet
Does anyone seriously believe they can finish the game for 45K? Even for potatoland, that isn't going to go very far considering how many people they're claiming are working on it.
I expect some half finished product to be dumped on steam early access then the rest of the chapters will never appear.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Does anyone seriously believe they can finish the game for 45K? Even for potatoland, that isn't going to go very far considering how many people they're claiming are working on it.
I expect some half finished product to be dumped on steam early access then the rest of the chapters will never appear.
Did you see the video? The game systems look pretty finished to me. They just need to finish all quests and polish it.

28.8bps Modem

Prophet
Mostly I noticed that they showed a lot of the same four buildings from various angles and lots of barren desert. Everything else in the kickstarter is concept art. You'd think if they actually had the interesting locations modelled, they'd at least show renders instead.

To me, it looks like they've got about 3 bugs and a couple of human NPCs modelled and all the rest of the work left to do.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
More noose:

The amount of features and actually the length of the main quest campaign plus the amount of sidequests depend on the Kickstarter results. Worst case scenario, when we get only 45k gives us fuel to develop 10+hours of main quest (20+ with the sidequests). Better results will increase those numbers significantly. Our plan is to release 3 chapters, each bigger and more complex than the previous, with more hours of core cameplay and new mechanics. Taking the potential sales from the 1st Chapter in account, we most likely won’t run the Kickstarter Campaign for other Chapters.

More Information about the team members will be released as well, but a bit later I'm afraid, cause the first updates in our schedule were the ones containing some lore and telling about Exoplanet’s game design main pillars.

50% of the content being main quest is actually quite high, isn't it?

Inspectah

Savant
So the first chapter would be around 30 hours?
I don't like episodic stuff, but that's more game time than most non-rpg games
Besides, I like everything both space and western related, so I guess this game will go to the "must eventually buy" list

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
Than you get it for 10$ or 15$ and it is 10h for main story content, and who knows how much for the side stuff. Someone on KS asked for a tier that lets you just get all the future chapters without any extra stuff for less than 100$ and they said they will do that.

That actually sounds ok...

Rafal

Literate
Because it requires more millions to make games. If every game would make enough money to make another game publishers would never exist. The reality is - there is always someplace Devs need to go to get extra cash for next game, unless they want to make smaller and smaller games each time.

I dont agree with that. Over last few years reality changed with Steam booming. And i believe they made fortune on Wasteland 2. Kickstarter for them is more like a pre-sale. I think only reason why they run is to pre-sell 100k copies of game and get lots of exposure. Im sure they made enough $ on Wastelands 2 to create any game they like now..

likaq

Arcane
Funded.

:bro:

We won’t stop here! You know we have launched several stretch goals to add new features and scenarios to the game.

• $50,000: When starting a new game, you will be able to choose from several background options for Jack Sharp. These options will give him bonuses for certain skills and sometimes unique perks, affecting the gameplay in many ways.
  • $60,000: This stretch goal is heavily inspired by one of the most important Firefly TV-series concepts and by the one of the most popular mod categories for open world RPG’s, as well - the building of a home or a mobile base for the player.
  • $80,000: In our vision of the Exoplanet’s complete state, we see a global map as a convenient mode for travelling between locations and finding new ones. Global map will become a new level of exploration of the game’s world, similar to Fallout 1-2 or Wasteland 2, to give you a contemporary example.

:bro:

Turjan

Arcane
Let's see how they keep up with development. It had been going on at a glacial speed during the last years. Here's some shots from the last alpha I have on my computer, which is obviously a bit different from what they have now:

P7QMaAL.jpg

The alpha had two enemies (a spider and some boar/bull cross) and obviously some weapon crafting planned (didn't work yet):
DLNeX5x.jpg

This guy didn't have anything to say, although the setup looks nice. The next alpha (which I never managed to get due to their convoluted site setup) had some interactive console that worked for some people.
bYnk9Hc.jpg

The environments were nice enough for this kind of game.
kauFG65.jpg

Let's hope they can speed up their development. Usually, there were huge gaps between any sign of life from the dev. With some help, it may work out.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Probably due to doing it as their side job, I would guess they were not very happy with the speed as well why they went to KS.
The graphics in those screenshots looks pretty bad and much worse than from the videos they showed us.

likaq

Arcane
The graphics in those screenshots looks pretty awesome for alpha of extremely low budget indie crpg.

This game certainly doesn't look bad, for an indie game, and stretch goals are nice. Too bad it's episodic, but I guess that's the only realistic way to create a larger rpg for them. Very rare setting also. Too bad much worse games get money thrown at them and they barely made 50K$.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom