Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Exoprimal - Capcom's New Not Dino Crisis Game, Or: Capcom Made A Lost Planet EDF Anthem Game

Kind of funny to see this game. For about as long as Lost Planet has been around, which came out right around the same time as Earth Defense Force 2017, I was like: Capcom should really do this Lost Planet thing again...but with stages like this EDF game. Then years later this shitty Anthem game comes around, and it's got these boss fights that look like bad ripoffs of bosses from Lost Planet, and I'm thinking: I bet Capcom could do this but actually make it good..but it should have stages like an EDF game instead of what BioWare did. Now it seems came has actually made that game, but with dinosaurs instead of aliens.

To throw another game on there, it looks like dinosaurs can swarm you, and grab onto you like the zombies in Dead Rising.

You can switch mechs on the fly for a class change during fights.

This game would seem to be the Project Shield (or just Shield) game for the Capcom leaks.

Last edited:

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I for one am glad that a developer, rather than dragging out the corpse of an old, but beloved franchise for an ill-fitting reimagining, instead makes a new game entirely.
Also, body armor within body armor, huh?

Capcom fans have been waiting 10 years for a Dragon's Dogma sequel. Instead we get this...

You already know it's coming. We've all known that Dragon's Dogma 2 is something they're working on since that Q4 2020 Capcom leak. It's pre-Covid release date was even set for this year.

pqt

Literate
This Capcom's Overwatch is so fun. But $60 for a always online, GaS is very questionable. Lucky it is a day 1 Game Pass title.
There is a open beta now. The PC port is good, I tried both Mouse + Keyboard and Controller and they all work flawlessly. Performs well on my 2060 GPU at 1080p.

Played a little of the open beta. I missed the first day because I didn’t know it was going on, and I missed the last day because my power just randomly went out for seemingly no reason at all, but I got to play it some in the middle.

Overall it’s nice. It’s a fun game. But Capcom is fucking crazy to not have this game be free-to-play. My only guess is they think this will do modern Monster Hunter business, but World and Rise have single player, and this game looks like it’s not going to have that. Hopefully they make it F2P before they kill it, because I don’t see this game doing well without it being F2P.

I thought this looking at it when they first showed it off, and I think it even more after playing it, but this game should just play like Dragon’s Dogma. Essentially, Exoprimal is a head-to-head online multiplayer game that’s a true Lost Planet follow-up crossed with Dragon’s Dogma. It’s sci-fi Dragon’s Dogma with guns and laser cannons, with on the fly class changes by way of switching out your power armor suit. But, and this is a big but, the cool down system for skills in this fucking sucks in comparison to Dragon’s Dogma. The way skills are used sucks in comparison to Dragon’s Dogma...at least on consoles. And the lack of some kind of basic melee attack (or something) like Dragon’s Dogma has for every class, and the lack of basic combos for some of the melee classes sucks too; hell, I’m not even a fan of the melee attacks not being face buttons given the style of combat.

It is a fun game, but it’s fucking crazy Capcom didn’t copy their own Dragon’s Dogma series with this give how easily the controls of Dragon’s Dogma would fit into this, and how much better it’d feel if it functioned more like Dragon’s Dogma.

If it doesn’t have it on launch, an updated should really add a mode that just let’s you loose in a map EDF style instead of the waypoint race mode of the beta. Not that it’s not fun, but it seems like they could get more people with this if

Oh yeah, the opening cinematic for the game is pretty great.

“People. Technically. Under threat... from dinosaurs.”

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom