Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Expeditions: Rome releasing on January 20th, now available for preorder

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Expeditions: Rome; Logic Artists; THQ Nordic

In recent weeks, THQ Nordic have been publishing dev diaries for Expeditions: Rome at a more rapid pace than usual. A few days after last week's update, they published a video that offered a further look at the making of the game's voice-overs, featuring two of its voice actors. Why all the hype? It turns that while Rome indeed won't make it out this year, we won't have to wait for much longer afterwards. The game is launching on January 20th. Here's its rather action-packed release date trailer and the accompanying press release:

Vindobona, Noricum / Hafnia, Daniae, Decembris VII., MMXXI: The fate of an empire lies in your hands! On January 20th, 2022 you can become the Legatus of a Roman legion and lead your troops through Greece, Egypt, and Gaul. You'll gain power and influence and your word will carry weight in the political affairs of Rome. Your decisions will change the life of your fellow companions, your soldiers, and even the destiny of whole nations.

This Classic RPG from the creators of the critically acclaimed Expeditions: Vikings will take you on a 50+ hour campaign across Europe and northern Africa. You´ll have to fight intense turn-based battles, level up your alter ego as well as your companions, manage your legion, explore, loot, and craft – in short, everything, you'd expect from a Classic RPG.

Expeditions: Rome is set in an alternative historical setting. Ever heard of Gaius Julius Caesar? He wasn't that important. But you'll meet Cleopatra, Queen of Egypt - if you choose to put her on the throne, that is. And even the famous Roman politician Cicero can become your ally, as well as the ferocious Gallic chieftain Vercingetorix.

Expeditions Rome will launch on January 20th, 2022 on PC at an SRP of $ 44.99 | € 44.99 | £ 36.99.

Rome is now available for preorder on Steam and GOG. $45 ain't cheap, but there is a hefty 20% preorder discount. There don't appear to be any preorder-exclusive bonus items, which is commendable.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
and even if the actual political regime of Rome is still in theory a republic, it has already most of the trapping of an empire, like extending over large territories and controlling various nations

Last edited:

Skdursh

Savant
Pls don't let it be garbo mcnormieshit. Between this, Elden Ring, ELEX II and STALKER 2 the first quarter of 2022 has to put out at least one thing that isn't a complete disappointment.

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
and even if the actual political regime of Rome is still in theory a republic, it has already most of the trapping of an empire, like extending over large territories and controlling various nations
In theory, Rome didn't stop being a republic until Diocletian. Roman monarchy was quirky that way. Also, Empire is a translation of Imperium or "rule"/"command"/"authority", so Imperium Romanum is that which is ruled by Rome. It was the Roman "monarchs" (de facto military dictators holding multiple republican-era political offices at the same time, a tradition started by Octavianus) that titled themselves Imperator - calling on the military tradition of Legionnaires hailing their victorious commanders with the title. Roman state had no constitution and no official name per se, but during both the Republic and the Empire it was referred to as Senatus Populusque Romanus (SPQR) - Roman Senate and People.

Zeriel

Arcane
In theory, Rome didn't stop being a republic until Diocletian. Roman monarchy was quirky that way. Also, Empire is a translation of Imperium or "rule"/"command"/"authority", so Imperium Romanum is that which is ruled by Rome. It was the Roman "monarchs" (de facto military dictators holding multiple republican-era political offices at the same time, a tradition started by Octavianus) that titled themselves Imperator - calling on the military tradition of Legionnaires hailing their victorious commanders with the title. Roman state had no constitution and no official name per se, but during both the Republic and the Empire it was referred to as Senatus Populusque Romanus (SPQR) - Roman Senate and People.

"Empire" is clearly a retrospective thing, which indeed is shown by how the word was invented for the thing that the Romans had. The fact you had people coming after them saying they were the next Rome also gives that away, no one would say they are the "The Second Oligarchy".

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Getting big Total War Rome 2 vibes from the graphics.

Also, all those clips of what I assume are senators/consuls/whatever in frontline combat without armor is odd. Once or twice I could see them being ambushed or an assassination attempt, but if you make a habit out of it, it's just silly.

Still, I have a big hard on for Rome and hope this will be good.

Which was exactly what Republic has been doing since it's foundation. Roman Empire wasn't called empire because it was imperialistic, it was called Empire because it was ruled by Imperator, which was an honorary titles given for military success since Republic times. (Although Cezar/Augustus or Princeps might have been more popular titles at their respective time ). It's from the title of Imperator from whence imperialism comes from.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Getting big Total War Rome 2 vibes from the graphics.

Also, all those clips of what I assume are senators/consuls/whatever in frontline combat without armor is odd. Once or twice I could see them being ambushed or an assassination attempt, but if you make a habit out of it, it's just silly.

Still, I have a big hard on for Rome and hope this will be good.
Yes, it would be a shame for the game to follow the hollywood convention, without even having pretty actor face to justify the lack of helmet, or worse, this kind of abomination.
73PaE5uLSDPhqb4haZNJHD.jpg

Rant on: they could also just use heraldy if they want the audience to know who's who, like the people of the time did for the exact same reason...
Apparently, Star Wars characters are the only ones allowed to have a name and a full helmet...

I'm still half disappointed there is no Birthright like mass battle system, but it is probably the reasonable thing to do (and I am not really in a good position to complain about the lack of a mass battle system in a tactical game...).

I must also commend the game for not using Lorica Segmentata for this time.
I am really looking forward to this one.

EvilWolf

Learned
Why am I just now hearing about this game. I've been waiting so long for a game like this.

oscar

Arcane
Loved Conquistador, Viking never clicked (either at launch and recent attempts), playing Life of a Legionary means I probably won't be able to put up with the fantastical/PC elements after seeing a dev with strong historical knowledge and genuine respect for the era (knowing that the reality of the time was interesting enough without having to invent shit). Hope for the best but not optimistic.

Viking saw them double them on some of the errors of Conquistador while muting the strengths. Combat across the series has very felt consistently very very wrong (archers are the deadliest class in Viking with your warriors mostly acting to scout for and support their machine gun fire, and even in Conquistador the power of range was sort of dodgy).*

*when it should have been your Spanish musketeers/crossbowmen tearing shit up, the native slingers felt more dangerous when the Spanish noted their armour allowed them to survive huge amounts of sling fire with the only losses being from a few guys who didn't have helmets or the odd unlucky shot. Your conquistadors having to fight for their lives against even even sized numbers of native foes felt very wrong (if ever a setting warranted a fucking power trip it was the Spanish conquest of the Aztec Empire).

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
*when it should have been your Spanish musketeers/crossbowmen tearing shit up, the native slingers felt more dangerous when the Spanish noted their armour allowed them to survive huge amounts of sling fire with the only losses being from a few guys who didn't have helmets or the odd unlucky shot. Your conquistadors having to fight for their lives against even even sized numbers of native foes felt very wrong (if ever a setting warranted a fucking power trip it was the Spanish conquest of the Aztec Empire).
That might have been more historically accurate.

But the last thing I'd want to play is a turn-based game with enemies that outnumber me many times over in the same style as the Expeditions games have been so far.
Turn times would be a nightmare.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
If you're going to make a game in a historical setting, I feel like there should be an attempt to keep it accurate. Especially with Rome, which by now has amassed such a large casual/nonhistorian audience, that you can hire any of three dozen YouTubers as a consultant.

Arvennios

Novice
Pr-ordered the game, as I greatly enjoyed the two first installments and had a very good impression of this one, based on released information so far. Conquistador was a mighty good game, if a bit rough around the edges at times, but Vikings was a masterpiece, it delivered in every aspect.

Kinda worried about sales though, they missed the Christmas window, that can't be ideal, not to mention the game has barely received any coverage from major gaming sites and YouTubers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom