Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Expeditions: Rome - the final Expeditions game from Logic Artists

Sunri

Liturgist
I completed the game and did 2 endings peaceful solution and force, both were satisfying spoiler below

I can't believe that my character father got not only killed but also cucked and we are not even his children hahahaha those hoes ain't loyal

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Tbh people who point out Deianeira's and Julia's yuge biceps should always consider Marit Bjoergen:

gf-tYAj-RtAd-TDJx_marit-bjoergen-664x442-nocrop.jpg

Ok, you know what, after playing this some more, I am doing a 180 turn, and disliking this game now. The main reason? How contrived the combat is.

I want my rpgs (whether aRPGs or tactical) to just have a good combat system, and let you master it, and then just fight straightforward fights against challenging enemies.

Every combat in Rome seems to be super contrived after the starting fights. First of all, there are always infinite enemy reinforcements. So the longer you take, the more enemies appear, and it feels like you are running in place. Kill these 7, another 7 pop up magically to take their place. Wtf is this shit?

Then, there are always some conditions to combat, they can't just let you fight normally. Complete this battle in 5 turns or lose. Save these hostages or lose. Kill this guy, except you can't cause he's got 20 armor, so switch to condition B, and get the battle down to 5 enemies. This battle you have to fight with these praetorian retards you just recruited and who SUCK, instead of your main party, just because we tell you so. And that battle you have to fight without that character. And this battle you can't bring this.

E: Viking didn't have any of this shit, Conquistador had some of it and it was the worst part of the game. It just feels like the game is making you jump through hoops for some artificial fake "challenge", instead of just letting you fight tough enemies straight up.

I don't play games to be handicapped every time in new ways, and then spending hours trying to figure out how to get around the developers bullshit.

Sunri

Liturgist
Ok, you know what, after playing this some more, I am doing a 180 turn, and disliking this game now. The main reason? How contrived the combat is.

I want my rpgs (whether aRPGs or tactical) to just have a good combat system, and let you master it, and then just fight straightforward fights against challenging enemies.

Every combat in Rome seems to be super contrived after the starting fights. First of all, there are always infinite enemy reinforcements. So the longer you take, the more enemies appear, and it feels like you are running in place. Kill these 7, another 7 pop up magically to take their place. Wtf is this shit?

Then, there are always some conditions to combat, they can't just let you fight normally. Complete this battle in 5 turns or lose. Save these hostages or lose. Kill this guy, except you can't cause he's got 20 armor, so switch to condition B, and get the battle down to 5 enemies. This battle you have to fight with these praetorian retards you just recruited and who SUCK, instead of your main party, just because we tell you so. And that battle you have to fight without that character. And this battle you can't bring this.

E: Viking didn't have any of this shit, Conquistador had some of it and it was the worst part of the game. It just feels like the game is making you jump through hoops for some artificial fake "challenge", instead of just letting you fight tough enemies straight up.

I don't play games to be handicapped every time in new ways, and then spending hours trying to figure out how to get around the developers bullshit.

On what difficulty level are you playing?

As I said pages ago, the game, in many of its segments, is deliberately designed to waste your time as to inflate its length. 70% of playtime is spent doing the exact same menial repetitive bullshit, and if you can't see this you're confirmed low IQ, confirmed shill or a combination of two.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire

I am not going to watch some 16 minute of some dork on youtube talking about American culture wars.

However here is a TL;DR for you: There were black slaves, freedmen (I.E liberalis like the static one in the game), mercenaries and raised auxiliaries in Rome. Black citizens were rare until Caracalla.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I am not going to watch some 16 minute of some dork on youtube talking about American culture wars.

However here is a TL;DR for you: There were black slaves, freedmen (I.E liberalis like the static one in the game), mercenaries and raised auxiliaries in Rome. Black citizens were rare until Caracalla.
You are wasting your time. Everything that isn't 100% white at all times is historical revisionism and woke agenda.

FreeKaner

You are wasting your time. Everything that isn't 100% white at all times is historical revisionism and woke agenda.

Yeah shouldn't have responded to someone learning their "history" from 16 minute youtube videos. "History" in this case of course being whether or not an ancient states had black people in it, which is what these "Rome fans" often learn as history, just collection of anecdotes.

Vatnik Wumao

Yeah shouldn't have responded to someone learning their "history" from 16 minute youtube videos. "History" in this case of course being whether or not an ancient states had black people in it, which is what these "Rome fans" often learn as history, just collection of anecdotes.
To be fair, Metatron's content is decent. And in the case of that video in particular, he's not wrong in that most Africans in Roman lands who get peddled as being 'blacks' weren't subsaharans and thus probably looked more akin to Mediterranean and Semitic populations.

FreeKaner

To be fair, Metatron's content is decent. And in the case of that video in particular, he's not wrong in that most Africans in Roman lands who get peddled as being 'blacks' weren't subsaharans and thus probably looked more akin to Mediterranean and Semitic populations.

Nonsensical statement that's selectively conflating usage of words. If such people looked indistinguishable from Mediterranean and Semites, which consisted the majority of Roman population, there wouldn't a need to distinguish people from Ethiopia, Nubia and Marautiana as "black". There were slaves, mercenaries and auxiliaries in Roman Empire from Ethiopia, Nubia (I.E Sudan) and Mauritania, as well as various mixed populations from North Africa proper. There are plenty of records of such people.

Of course Romans who didn't live in 19h century didn't draw sharp lines between phenotypes or have one drop rule. They would have used various descriptions to a collection of light or dark features. So if someone is looking like an Arab-mixed Sudanese, they are going to be probably called black but so will someone who is as dark as a regular Ethiopian. Unless the argument is "Arab-mixed Sudanese and Berber-mixed Mauritians are white, actually" then it is just selective conflation. Argument is basically lighter skinned black-mixed populations existed and were called black also and since these were called black then no person who was darker or less mixed existed, which neither follows nor is sensible.

Ottomans called black Sudanese and Ethiopians "Arab" and sometimes "Dark-eyed Arabs", so you might as well make same selective conflation and say there were no Black people in Ottoman Empire, because most people who were called Arabs back then or referred to as Arabs today aren't black. This is basically what argument boils down to and is complete nonsense.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
FreeKaner your autistic tendencies for historical rambling aside, you really should watch Metatron's video. He's definitely an awkward nerd, but his video actually agrees with your view (and historical records) instead of fabricated 100% white Brazilian pseudohistory Codextards like to believe in.

Codex Year of the Donut

If there was so many non-white people in europe, why did they magically all disappear in recent history and had to be re-imported?
Surely there should have been enclaves of black people EVERYWHERE? If your argument is that a small ethnic group would have been quickly wiped out, let me introduce you to the people called Jews.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
If there was so many non-white people in europe, why did they magically all disappear in recent history and had to be re-imported?
Surely there should have been enclaves of black people EVERYWHERE? If your argument is that a small ethnic group would have been quickly wiped out, let me introduce you to the people called Jews.

Scientific_racism_irish.jpg

They turned into Irish. Now please do what you're good at - stick to witty one-liners, and remove yourself from serious debates you Americlown.

Codex Year of the Donut

Scientific_racism_irish.jpg

They turned into Irish. Now please do what you're good at - stick to witty one-liners, and remove yourself from serious debates you Americlown.
kill yourself faggot

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Alright, finished the game in 64 hours.

Went for the all out good boi ending:

- Sided with Zenobia in Greece, had Mithriades executed during the triumph

- Put Cleopatra on the throne in Egypt (collected payment in pussy of course), killed Lunja

- Sided with the Divitiacus in Galia, captured Vercingetorix and brought him to Rome as a slave

- Disbanded my legion after coming back from Gallia and confronted Lurco in the Senate (where I won easily since his own brother, Cleopatra and Vercingetorix testified against him)

- The final confrontation with Lurco claimed lives of Syneros (poisoned while tasting my food) and Julia (volunteered to be executed first during the final showdown, all others survived and lived happily ever after)

- Basically the Republic was saved and went on, Greece and Egypt remained stable, the only slight problem was with the Berbers due to Lunja´s death, but they got crushed by legions and their culture was lost – what a tragedy lmao

- Seems like this is as good an ending as one can get, I guess I could have saved Julia somehow, though I am not sure what I could have done to keep Syneros alive

Honestly I didn’t have this much fun with an RPG in a long time. The game is pretty much a perfect evolution from Conquistador, with the mechanics coming to their own in enjoyable ways. I sure hope that there will be at least one DLC and ideally the series will continue with new devs, but even if this was the final instalment, the series went out on a high note.

The story kept getting better and better and having your choices reflected in the Senate hearing at the end was pretty cool. Having Scaevola defecting to your side in the end (certainly thanks to your sister´s tasty pussy) was a nice move as well. Lurco was a cool villain as were his two main henchmen (the praetorian and the assassin). I really liked Syneros, who was a p. cool character and a certified bro (*scores a critical hit on a female opponent* “You should have stayed home with your family, young woman. Eh I was addressing my opponent, not you Julia.") though all the other main characters were fine.

Combat was fine as well, some of the pacification missions were kinda annoying, but nothing too dramatically bad. I played on Hard and didn’t have much trouble with the fights (the most difficult one being the one you are supposed to lose for story reasons), the sieges (especially the final one in Gallia) were a nice idea.

The anime cat girl is a bit of an enigma to me. I agreed to take her along, but she didn’t join my party (she wasn’t in Gallia), though she got her ending slides even though she just basically showed up in like one or two quests in Egypt. W/E I guess… maybe the devs are cat people.

So yeah, GG. I would say 8/10 is about right. A contender for RPG GOTY 2022 for sure, we will see if anything better actually comes out this year.

vazha

Arcane
Any way to change / introduce custom portraits? After the excellent Age of Decadence portraits, these look rather unappealing.

Vatnik Wumao
Doubt it since the portraits also correspond to the larger images with transparent backgrounds in dialogue.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom