Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Expeditions: Rome - the final Expeditions game from Logic Artists

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i wish there is a way to skip the management and legion stuff because they're basically the worst part of the game. pathfinder games has the option just to auto do all the management stuff

Cadmus

Arcane
Yes, some of the choices are really weird. Not having to fight your way out after completing mission objective is especially bizarre.

I don't mind legion management but hope the game will do a bit more with it (I'm still in Asia Minor). So far the battles against Mithridates were laughingly easy.
The legion battles will never be any better or more impactful. Recommend clicking through them.
There seems to be not much else I can do about them, different strategems bringing marginally different outcomes.
Unfortunately this aspect of the game is completely pointless.

Also I donť understand how in the current_year there is still a game with 10+ characters, each with 8 or so item slots and hundreds of looted items every 15 minutes and yet this piece of shit game strips your characters naked for story missions and doesn't bother to put their gear back on. Only a complete moron could come up with this idea.

Barbarian

Arcane
There is no real "expedition" to this game, that is its main flaw.

The whole theme of "small squad in far away and unknown lands" is not here. The closer it got to that was the fictional african culture stuff and even then not that entertaining. A pity they picked the worst possible setting and premise. If they really needed to insist on romans they should have gone with a "lost legion" kind of theme. Something like in the "Centurion" movie.

Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed the game, but it loses to its predecessors on several fronts. The woke shit is also more pervasive.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

The whole theme of "small squad in far away and unknown lands" is not here. The closer it got to that was the fictional african culture stuff and even then not that entertaining. A pity they picked the worst possible setting and premise. If they really needed to insist on romans they should have gone with a "lost legion" kind of theme. Something like in the "Centurion" movie
Expeditions: Anabasis

Imagine what could have been :negative:

Last edited:

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

The whole theme of "small squad in far away and unknown lands" is not here. The closer it got to that was the fictional african culture stuff and even then not that entertaining. A pity they picked the worst possible setting and premise. If they really needed to insist on romans they should have gone with a "lost legion" kind of theme. Something like in the "Centurion" movie.
And there were historical events that could support it. At certain point Romans did organize expeditions deep into Africa. Also some Roman POVs (taken by the Parthians) fled captivity and probably reached China.

Barbarian

Arcane
Guys I finished this game, it was OK. The combat was almost great. Anybody can recommend me something with a similar TB combat?
Finished all the previous Expeditions.
Maybe some XCOM-like? Or even better, some game with more standard AP combat?
Urtuk, inspirations by BB and Darkest Dungeon. Not a masterpiece like those two but a very solid fun.

Blackguards 1 is great, B2 is garbage.

King Arthur is def. recommended.

I remember playing the Stoneshard demo ages ago and having a blast. No idea where the game is at currently tho, plus it's still not fully out.

Tried For the King about a year ago, I hated the art and gameplay felt meh but your mileage can vary.

For a different kind of a tactical RPG fun, I can't recommend King's Bounty high enough, if you haven't tried yet. The first two ones primarily (Legend and Armored Princess). Oh and the Disciples III rework is p. solid either, transformed the terrible vanilla into a fun tacRPG experience.

I have been playing Blackguards and having loads of fun. Thanks a lot for the reccomendation cvv - strange that this game is so obscure even here.

You know I had been actually looking for a similar game to play for a while now, and it wasn't easy... anything else to reecomend? Being that this post is quite old.

Cadmus

Arcane
Well King Arthur was pretty good. Im playing Wartales right now and it rocks.

Wartales is awesome but I thought it wiser to wait for final release.
Definitely. In fact, I put 80 hours into the game so far so I think I will not be playing the final release. Im still on my first run and dont want it to end but Ill be fucked if I should ever repeat it.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
It gets even more sad, when the mission is to kill an enemy commander.
With the "Marathon" skill (unlimited move until first stop) a Veles can run throught the whole map and kill the target on the very first turn.

Sounds thematically appropriate. :smug:

zCcMdp.gif

troy-achilles.gif

Victor1234

Educated
This is the only antiquity themed game I started but couldn't finish and I even did the whole grinding campaign in Hannibal: Master of the Beast. It's crazy that this game gets praised for historical detail just because they conjugated the word legatus 3 different ways, but meanwhile everything else (items, half the plot, etc) is ripped off from Assassin's Creed Origins. I got as far as halfway through Egypt before quitting forever.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Is Wartales universe a bit lively and reactive to your character's actions and world factions power shift like in Mount & Blade or Battle brothers ?

Last edited:

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Is Wartales universe a bit lively and reactive to your character's actions and world factions power shift like in Mount & Blade or Battle brothers ?

Wartales is basically pozzed battle brothers, where you have woman wearing plate and wielding massive two handers slicing grown men in 2.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hate when I'm reminded this game exists, what a terrible way to go out after conquistador and vikings.
Too bad they had to go out before they could do a Darkest Africa game.
I already forgot they not only closed down but became part of some NFT scam studio.
Pretty dark turn, indeed.

I still have this game on my wishlist, but Rome-themed stuff is so uninteresting to me that I doubt I'll ever get it.

Oropay

Educated
If you don't want Deianeira in your party, you can simply not allow her to join. In the entire Steam store page, the only time anything close to "history" pops up is in this sentence:
Experience a historically inspired story of political intrigue and personal drama [...]
which of course basically means there's not anything historically accurate in the game at all. It's not like Vikings was historically accurate either. Really not sure what you fags were expecting. Expeditions has always been historical fiction at best, and of course if you look at historical fiction even from 100 years ago, such as G. A. Henty's, you'll still find wenches in improbable places simply to titillate the reader. I don't like woke shit either but Expeditions: Rome hardly qualifies as being ruined by a woke agenda.

Irata

Scholar
Joey, do you like movies about gladiators?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom