Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Expeditions: Rome - the next Expeditions game from Logic Artists

Discussion in 'Expeditions' started by unfairlight, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Beowulf Arcane

Beowulf
    Didn't they let you go with all male party as historically correct option in Conquistador, or am I misremembering things?
    Don't remember why exactly, but Vikings didn't grip me enough to warrant finishing. Hope this one is more in line with their first title.

And yeah, that Announcement trailer is really retarded. I mean, I kinda like what they are trying to tell, but the execution with all those action sequences and trying to match the lyrics literally with visuals is, well, plain bad. Good think you gents linked some previews in this thread and they were sane enough to show some gameplay.

Seems like there will be some big battles in the form of decisions you make, that can influence the outcome I guess.
    Other than that it will still be small party skirmishes for whatever reason.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. fantadomat Arcane Edgy

fantadomat
    I must admit,i do like high fantasy rpgs ;). That said,i do like weird original rpgs ,like vagrus the riven realms but strangely i don't see many codexers in that thread. It feels like most codexers are just all talk and no substance in the end.

That away,rome is overused as a setting,in all of culture. And most of it is pretty generic while neglecting interesting wars and political situations. There is more than enough games about rome lol,but i am yet to see a game about Byzantium. There is plenty of more interesting setting than rome,we won't see them because most devs lack actual imagination and knowledge. They just go with some generic popular shit like conquistadors,vikings and rome. Those games were refreshing and fun,but lets not pretend that the setting was original or anything like that.

^ Top  
  3. Beowulf Arcane

Beowulf
    I agree, that Imperial Rome is quite popular setting in the visual medium, but leading a team of Conquistadors was a novel idea, that brought me to the game.

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Parsimonious cook Scholar Patron

Parsimonious cook
    Strap Yourselves In

In Conquistador you certainly could select an all male party, you could even make a largely racist or hippie party etc (due to the traits of available characters).

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Larianshill Scholar

Larianshill
    Greeks don't deserve video games about them.

• retadred x 4
    • Brofist x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • cuck x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Brancaleone Arbiter

Brancaleone
    Rome is overused as a setting in the sense that is usually served as a frankesteinian mish-mash of Trajan-era legionaries, the role of the senate from the middle-republic, Caligula or Heliogabalus atmosphere of decadence and corruption, Flavian monuments, and the 3rd century AD problems with provinces and borders. This is the way it goes with the historical fantasy approach, and it invariably ends up feeling quite generic. If they focused on a specific segment of the 1200 years of Roman history (I know, 2200 with the Eastern Empire), it would not taste stale at all.

I mean, just from an aesthetic viewpoint (and to abuse once again Osprey illustrations), who wouldn't like a setting from the early republic?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
    • incline x 5
    • Prestigious x 5
    • Agree x 2
    • Yes x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Larianshill Scholar

Larianshill
    Byzantine Empire is not roman, and has nothing to do with Rome. They were greek larpers.

• retadred x 4
    • Brofist x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • How about this as a button x 1
    • No x 1
    • /facepalm/ x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Brancaleone Arbiter

Brancaleone
    Do you have any idea of what post-schismatic propaganda was?

^ Top  
  9. Hóngwèibīng Arcane Vatnik Wumao

Hóngwèibīng
    Then pray tell, when did this political discontinuity between the Roman Empire and the so-called 'Byzantine' Empire occur?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Dodo1610 Magister

Dodo1610
    Description on Steam page says that the game only has 5 companions when Vikings had 8, 4 of those were women btw.

Honestly, anyone who needs historical accuracy in historical fantasy games their should simply ignore this game and studio.

Last edited: May 1, 2021
    • Disagree x 4
    • decline x 4
    • Agree x 2
    • incline x 1
    • meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Nm6k Educated

Nm6k
    Only five companions this time I wonder why. Maybe they will have more of a impact on the story:|

• incline incline x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Prestigious Gentleman Filthy Kalinite Patron

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria

• decline decline x 6
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Zann Cipher Patron

Zann
    A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Most successful LARP in history then, given that the western kingdoms referred to them as Romans for nigh on thousand years.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Last time Greeks were Greeks was 2.5k years ago. Since then they've been Macedonian, Roman, Turks and Beggars.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Shadowfang Arcane

Shadowfang
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
    With a heavy heart i will pass on this one.
    I loved Conquistador and expected a sequel worthy of its name, something that built upon what they offered but Vikings felt like a completely different game, but not in a bad way.
    I ended up never going too far on Vikings, not because of it being different from Conquistador but because it didn't pull me as hard. I still have a plan to do at least one playthrough.
    What i fear is that i end up leaving this game for another, and i can't afford wasting money in games i don't play.

Still wish all the best for Logic Arts and hope they allow us a full believable party without being forced to play with Lara the Archer and Ubunga the Subsahara Warrior.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • No No x 1
    • popamole popamole x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Hóngwèibīng Arcane Vatnik Wumao

Hóngwèibīng
    Just Catholic mental gymnastics meant to legitimize the HRE's imperial status. So if anyone's the LARPer, it was the Franks who wanted to LARP as the (W)RE.

Unless you consider Emperor Theodosius I as the last Roman Emperor, you can't have your cake and eat it too by claiming that the Western Roman Empire post-partition was legitimately Roman while likewise upholding the notion that its eastern counterpart wasn't. As for the retarded notion of the ERE being illegitimate due to not having Rome as its capital, Constantinople had already been elevated to the rank of Roman capital pre-split in the reign of Emperor Constantine the Great.

• Agree Agree x 6
    ^ Top  
  17. Agesilaus Antiquity Studio Patron Developer

Agesilaus
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
    It occurred in the break between Imperator: Rome and Crusader Kings.

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Zann Cipher Patron

Zann
    The Merovingians did envision themselves as Imperial heirs, Clovis was even recognized as Consul by the Eastern Emperor IIRC. But it indeed rapidly declined into symbolic claim with a radically different power structure.
    Anyway, all this conversation goes to show is that there are not enough historical RPGs and that developers should as of now be forbidden to play videogames & read contemporary fantasy, and forced to study history (or at the very least read the Darklands manual).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Unorus Janco Lurker

Unorus Janco
    Sometimes I belive that developers avoid historical settings and favor generic fantasy RPGs because they know well how people will use each and every historical inaccuracy and deviation to justify boicotting the whole product.

^ Top  
  20. Zann Cipher Patron

Zann
    I can only assume that by "each and every historical inaccuracy and deviation" you mean "not catering to contemporary societal whims" when it comes to boycott.
    In case of an earnest effort on the developer side, history nerds will buy & tear the game apart, it's part of the fun. & probably buy the next one.
    Political militants will whine & threaten to boycott because evocatii aren't non-binary with purple hair and SA don't come with a buttfuck skill.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  21. Ibn Sina Savant Patron

Ibn Sina
    Strap Yourselves In
    The last Roman emperor was caliph Abdulmejid II.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • No x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. NJClaw OoOoOoOoOoh Patron

NJClaw
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I'm Ridin' with Biden I'm Ridin' with Biden
    Except for the long-faced one, female companions in Viking are good. Roskva is a cutie, backstabbing Aife at the feast for the victory against Northumbria feels great, and the old grandma who cooks and cleans the camp for you, well, cooks and cleans the camp for you when nobody wants to do it.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Yes Yes x 2
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Sensuki Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Testudo!

^ Top  
  24. Parsimonious cook Scholar Patron

Parsimonious cook
    Strap Yourselves In
    Yeah bro, phalanx is a strictly Greek thingy. People should not use it in Roman context.

This - I wasnt too bothered with female companions in Viking as they didnt really look that much out of place. Having the "Amazon princess" in Conquistador also wasnt that terrible, since Cortez himself had this local girl who he fucked (in fact their children were apparently the first mestizos) and used as translator and negotiator when dealing with various tribes that he wanted to unite against Aztecs. Even that girl who LARPs as a soldier on the first island (Isabela?) wasnt too bad, the game gives you an option to kiss her hand instead of saluting her when you first meet and generally treat her in a realistic way ("Yeah girl sure, you are a real fighter haha") if you want to.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Larianshill Scholar

Larianshill
    My favourite part of Viking was the start of the game, with Asleifr challenging you to a fight over the leadership of the clan. And the moment you beat him, you can cut his head off, despite him being a major character, a companion and a romance. You can later meet his ghost in Hel, where he can be heard regretting challenging you. A lesser RPG wouldn't have that.

• Prestigious x 5
    • Informative x 3
    • Yes x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Agree x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.