Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Expeditions: Rome - the next Expeditions game from Logic Artists

Discussion in 'Expeditions' started by unfairlight, Nov 15, 2018.

1. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    [​IMG]

• Agree x 5
    • Edgy x 2
    • Despair x 2
    • nice x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Hóngwèibīng Arcane Vatnik

Hóngwèibīng
    Hope for the best, expect the worst. Not much more that you can do about it.

^ Top  
  3. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Hope for the best? It's like living in North Korea and hoping the Dear Reader comes out tomorrow and announces soshulism is over, the borders are open and you can go visit the Disneyland right nao.

Why waste time with pointless "hope"?

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Hóngwèibīng Arcane Vatnik

Hóngwèibīng
    Because you're still interested in upcoming titles? If you think that they're guaranteed to be shit, might as well just disengage rather than wasting your time and energy complaining about them.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Oh don't worry, Codex is just about the last place left where you can still complain about female legionaries, and it's not gonna be long before it's shut down or infiltrated by the Red Guards too. Eventually everyone will disengage or will be disengaged.

I say the opposite - let's complain liberally while the going is still good.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Hóngwèibīng Arcane Vatnik

Hóngwèibīng
    If you enjoy doing that, sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Mark Richard Arcane

Mark Richard
    Wish they were able to include the possibility of mutiny. Apparently it was planned for, but got cut for time. A bad leader in Expeditions: Conquistador would quickly find the friendly faces surrounding them had turned sinister. Injuries, dwindling supplies, and foolish choices would all contribute towards an increasingly tense situation. While there's less incentive to include this stuff with heavily written characters, I think it should be a core part of Expeditions' identity. In Expeditions: Rome the devs might have found a compromise by making a distinction between companions and the army, with the former remaining loyal no matter what, and the latter able to display mutinous behaviour under a bad commander.

Maybe I should try to get an interview with Jonas under the disreputable banner of the RPG Codex and ask him, though I only felt compelled to do so last time because of the lack of press coverage. Somehow I doubt Rome is going to have that problem.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    I'd love it if my companions rebelled.

DECIMATION TIME!

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Avonaeon Arcane Developer

Avonaeon
    We talked about it a lot for Viking, and we had some cool ideas. One idea was that when followers became too demoralised, they'd challenge you for the leadership position. If you lost, the follower that challenged you would be the player character for some time, and you'd only be able to pick dialogue options that corresponded to their personality traits. It would have required a lot more writing though.

• Informative Informative x 12
    • Brofist Brofist x 7
    • nice nice x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Larianshill Learned

Larianshill
    I've never had approval for any follower drop below zero in Viking, so it's not a feature people would see often.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. deuxhero Arcane

deuxhero
    False. The Spartans weren't Greek and didn't consider themselves Greek. The Helots were Greek while the Spartans proper were, according to their own propaganda, descendants of foreigner Heracles who conquered the Greeks and gave the land to Eurysthenes and Procles.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • No x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Shadowfang Arcane

Shadowfang
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
    They were Doric Greek.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Sranchammer Arcane

Sranchammer

I'm Ridin' with Biden I'm Ridin' with Biden
    The FUCK did you just say?

[​IMG]

• incline incline x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. fantadomat Arcane Edgy

fantadomat
    :prosper:
    Are you both fucking retarded? Greek is a modern word you dumbfucks,none of the old city states were thinking that they are muh greeks! Do you even fuck have basic education in your fucking countries?!

Last edited: May 3, 2021
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. deuxhero Arcane

deuxhero
    Using "Hellenes" instead just makes my point even stronger...

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Brancaleone Arbiter

Brancaleone
    So much a foreigner that he was born in Tiryns to a woman from Tiryns, Zeus as a father, and with a foster father also from Tiryns.

The Heracleidae were chased away after the death of their father and took refuge first in Athens and then in Thessaly, where they stayed for a few generations while trying to reclaim their heritage. So nobody considered them foreign in the slightest bit, which would have greatly undermined their claim of legitimacy.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Bullshit, the Greeks absolutely DID feel a common bond across the city states and they did have a loyalty to their city AND to Hellas, including the Spartans. In fact Alexander mustered such a support for his campaign against the Persians across the peninsula precisely because all Greeks (Hellenes) were butthurt about the Persians desecrating Greek temples in Asia Minor and wanted a revenge.

• Agree x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Lord_Potato Arcane

Lord_Potato
    Ofcourse the Greeks felt common Hellenic identity - divided politically they were united by language, religion, and culture. They had panhellenic cultural and religious festivals and sport competitions. And you had to be Greek to participate. Allowing representatives of Philip of Macedon to participate in Olympic games was a big thing - it served as a proof the Hellenic world considers him as one of their own.

There was even a political ideology called Panhellenism, that called for political unification of all Greek people.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Dodo1610 Magister

Dodo1610
    https://community.expeditionsseries.com/index/dev-diaries/devdiary-1-game-vision-r7/

Last edited: May 10, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 8
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • nice nice x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. fantadomat Arcane Edgy

fantadomat
    looks good

^ Top  
  21. Starwars Arcane

Starwars
    FULLY VOICED DIALOGUE OH YAY.

Seriously though, looking forward to it. I've been replaying Expeditions Viking, am nearly finished it. I liked it when I first played it, but I think I'm enjoying it more this time around. Aside from some mistakes here and there, it's actually a pretty impressive game.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    ^ Top  
  23. PorkyThePaladin Arcane

PorkyThePaladin
    I keep saying this (even made a separate thread some months ago): Expeditions:Viking is flat out one of two greatest iso RPGs of 21st century (the other being Shadowrun: Dragonfall). It is much, much better than all the usual suspects - Underrail, Aod, D:OS 1/2, PoE 1/2, ToEE, Kingmaker, probably even Arcanum as a whole), and with Dragonfall represents the real continuation of BG/Fallout/PST lineage. I have high hopes for this game.

• Disagree x 6
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Ho ho ho. Now this is good news.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Starwars Arcane

Starwars
    Finished my replay of Viking. Went the Invasion route which was fun. The game felt both bigger and prettier than I remember it. Not normally a fan of the look of top-down 3d stuff but they did a great job with the environments in this game. The soundtrack is outstanding too. Voicework is pretty bad though.

I guess my main complaint would be the combat. I really enjoy the actual combat-system and hope they don't fuck around with it too much for Rome, but if you get into situations where there's a lot of combat, it turns the game into a real slog.
    I also ended up cheating a bit since apparently you need exactly 100 Power to start the invasion and I was a ways off. I think I could've made it but would've spent a long time just running around the map and waiting for buildings to finish. Not a very elegant design. Would've been better to have it somehow related to how the actual invasion goes instead (harder to do if you have lower Power) or something like that.

The looting is also really dumb and a pain with the camera at times.

Still, lots of fun overall. Gonna replay Conquistador now.

• Brofist Brofist x 9
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.