Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Expeditions: Viking Raid On Dumfries Gameplay Video

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Expeditions: Viking; Jonas Wæver; Logic Artists; Teemo Ashton

A new Expeditions: Viking "Devs Play" gameplay video was uploaded to the Logic Artists YouTube channel today. Like the previous Devs Play episode back in October, the video has creative director Jonas Waever and community manager Teemo Ashton demonstrating one of the game's combat scenarios. In this case, a daring raid on the Scottish village of Dumfries (then known as Dun Phris). This is apparently a late game battle, so plenty of high level abilities see use, including several spectacular area of affect attacks. You won't believe it's not fantasy!

This game looks so cool. Watch for the flaming berserker decapitation attack at 13:40.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
The production level is A LOT higher this time around, from what I've played I think it should do well on the 'dex, though the non-combat gameplay has changed in presentation a bit from E:C

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I dunno, it looks fairly enjoyable. Light years ahead of the first game in regard to production standard. And I don't mind the historical context at all, as it helps differentiate the series from all the bunk.

It's probably better than most garbage that's out there.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I am currently playing Battle Brothers and my only question is if it's as good as Battle Brothers regarding weapon gameplay implications and other mechanics.

The production level is A LOT higher this time around, from what I've played I think it should do well on the 'dex, though the non-combat gameplay has changed in presentation a bit from E:C

Agreed - non-combat play has indeed changed in presentation a fair bit from E:C. From my exposure to the gameplay in the final beta, I can say this is a very polished product. A definite winner. TB combat is robust.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
This is why we need the meh rating.

If you're gonna have all sorts of magical/anime abilities might as well attempt to have a more interesting setting than goddamn "vikings".

I think it will be fine for people who believe that Thor is a Marvel comics character

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

If you're gonna have all sorts of magical/anime abilities might as well attempt to have a more interesting setting than goddamn "vikings".
disagree. real historical vikings is rarely presented in games. sure there are alot of fantasy vikings and myths inspired games, too much even, but real vikings are rare if exist at all

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
The possibilities of the franchise are endless if they keep improving their gameplay and radically change the setting everytime. We actually had a cool thread with suggestions somewhere. Lets hope Expeditions: The Holy Land or Expeditions: Anabasis is our future if this is a success. Until then, I'll take Vikings too as long as the gameplay is fun and it sure looks like it.

hivemind

I like the idea of the series going on but I don't see how
Expeditions: The Holy Land or Expeditions: Anabasis
would fit into the existing premise of having a small-ish party of named character that you adventure with and are largely your own boss.

In The Holy Land you'd have to be a part of a larger army doing army stuff unless it was set between first and second crusade and was about you just being minor feudal lord, but that then loses the expeditions aspect.
Same with Anabasis, Xenophon had an army of 10K with him

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Expeditions: Way to the Holy Land (set at the beginning of the Third Crusade), you could be part of a scouting team of Emperor Barbarossa, fight all sorts of Slavs on the Balkans, then Byzantines, Seldjuks and finally Arabs. Lots of potential for enemy variety, different terrain & tactics and diplomatic options that change the course of the expedition.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Expeditions: Way to the Holy Land (set at the beginning of the Third Crusade), you could be part of a scouting team of Emperor Barbarossa, fight all sorts of Slavs on the Balkans, then Byzantines, Seldjuks and finally Arabs. Lots of potential for enemy variety, different terrain & tactics and diplomatic options that change the course of the expedition.
Even being Danish, devs are not uncucked enough to make a game about the crusades where you get to kill Arabs...

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
FANTASTIC!! Kudos guys, for actually including fog from D&D well!!

ArchAngel

Arcane
Maybe Expeditions: Great Khan and they could introduce horseback combat in this one :)
You manage a expeditionary force sent by Mongols into Europe that is to prepare the ground for the main force.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Maybe Expeditions: Great Khan and they could introduce horseback combat in this one :)
You manage a expeditionary force sent by Mongols into Europe that is to prepare the ground for the main force.
That would actually be acceptable, no one gets upset when you kill slavs or turks.

Barbarian

Arcane
I like the idea of the series going on but I don't see how
Expeditions: The Holy Land or Expeditions: Anabasis
would fit into the existing premise of having a small-ish party of named character that you adventure with and are largely your own boss.

In The Holy Land you'd have to be a part of a larger army doing army stuff unless it was set between first and second crusade and was about you just being minor feudal lord, but that then loses the expeditions aspect.

"Expeditions: Crusader" could certainly be done. Something like the Norwegian Crusade or the Crusade of 1101, you lead a smal expedition to help the fledgling crusader realms. Having to cross Byzantine territory and Anatolia would be a blast. Actually the First Crusade was the only one that managed to land cross anatolian turkish territory without incurring disaster.

Hell, the best thing would be to represent the first crusade, but it was initially an expedition of 30.000 soldiers(even though by the time they reached Jerusalem they were only 7000). Not that I think it matters much. Cortez had over 1000 men in his expedition, yet in Conquistador your expedition can't reach 20 people.

Barbarian

Arcane
Even being Danish, devs are not uncucked enough to make a game about the crusades where you get to kill Arabs...

Conquistador was certainly uncucked. You have no idea how controversial Cortez, Pizarro and the others are here in Latin America. In this age of sjw madness and leftism nobody considers them heroes anymore.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Scripted encounter from Expeditions: Way to the Holy Land

Including unrealistic Teutonic and African companions and post-battle moral dilemma

Kem0sabe

Arcane

Conquistador was certainly uncucked. You have no idea how controversial Cortez, Pizarro and the others are here in Latin America. In this age of sjw madness and leftism nobody considers them heroes anymore.

The strong, proud women conquistadors in the game go a long way of disabusing me of the notion that they are uncucked.

Barbarian

Arcane
I have to agree somewhat... but don't forget you can pick an expedition without any wymmin. You can also pick an expedition exclusively formed by racists and religious zealots. And wipe out natives more violently than even the worst depiction of "Cortez the Killer" could.

I still stand by calling it uncucked.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected

disagree. real historical vikings is rarely presented in games. sure there are alot of fantasy vikings and myths inspired games, too much even, but real vikings are rare if exist at all
The real vikings with their naruto bow skills.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom