Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Explain something to a VR illiterate nignog like me

Fargus

Arcane
Thinking about getting myself a noseberg headset. Headphones for it, link cable, strap replacement (bobovr). Maybe some other accessories.

Oculus Quest 2 comes in 64\128\256 gb versions. So you can install games directly to headset and play without the pc? How well it handles games compared to when using both your headset and pc with VR games on it? Can you install games there only bought in their store?

So if lets say im only going to use games from my steam library better to just buy 128gb version? I checked some stores and 64gb version dont seem to be much cheaper where im from at least. What mostly being sold is 128\256 versions.

Any useful advices from VR users to a newbie like me are welcome.

Poseidon00

Arcane
You can install games directly to the headset via the Oculus store which you can access from pretty much the moment you get signed in.

Games you buy on your PC through Steam or otherwise obviously you need the link cable for. And I definitely recommend the Link Cable over all other wireless alternatives which I have found to be much more prone to lag no matter how much you alter it.

The games on PC via link cable are obviously PC dependent but my rig is years old and plays everything with only occasional, and very minimal, lag, and only on my heavily modded games.

Don't get frustrated by the barriers to entry, like learning the controls, choosing a good location, etc. That's the most annoying part of the entire thing but once you are comfortable with your setup it's one of the best ways to play any sort of vidya. Good horror stuff is everywhere rn especially.

A good new-to-the-system game to try out is Superhot. You can get a free demo on the store iirc. It's popular with pretty much everyone and is a good way to get gud with the controls.

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
Quest 2 is not only a VR headset, it also has an Android device on it.
Steam games don't use any space on your headset. The storage on the headset is only for the Android/Ocuberg store.

Basically you don't even need a PC to play games on the Quest 2, because you can play natively on the headset.

Playing on the headset is quite cool. No need for cables is the biggest advantage. Of course, there is less power for the device, and a more limited amount of games you can play.
There is also sideloading, not sure how it works.

But if you want play VR games from your PC, it's just like any other headset and the storage on it doesn't really matter.

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
You should verify this in the metaberg website, there might be also a difference in the screen, besides the GB. I don't recall.
I got the 256GB version from work, so I didn't even bother to check.

Poseidon00

Arcane
Imagine purchasing a faceberg product.

Regardless of him being an ultimate NPC, you got to hand it to the Zucc for his business sense. He is the only one to turn the fake value of a social media company into something real, tangible, and profitable long term. Purchasing the Oculus and having his own mini-Steam in the Oculus Store was a good fucking call.

Fargus

Arcane
Thank you bros!

I will probably have to stick to steam library because meta is blocked in my country, i cant buy games in oculus store and first time set up of the headset will be tricky or i will have to pay someone to do it for me to make it easier. But i have options. Maybe ill buy headset with some games on it already like Superhot and Blade and Sorcery. One of the reasons why i asked is because where i am right now (in a countryside house) is enough spacing to move freely without bumping into shit like in my appartment. But i only have a modest laptop and limited internet bandwidth. My decent pc rig is in appartment along with fast internet.

So i will have to ponder on whether to buy it soon or buy it this fall. But i'm definitely going to.

I can imagine, because its the cheapest. I think it will be good entry level headset. I'd buy index but its overpriced and never been sold in my country.

Maybe a couple years later ill buy something new if things change. But right now it seems like the better option even with downsides and restrictions.

Poseidon00

Arcane
Oh, I also recommend getting the Ancient Dungeon demo on the store (don't buy the game lol it's fun but not worth the money). There are better games of that genre for sure (I will shill for VR Dungeon Knight in every VR post I make idc), but it's another good starter that doesn't require any money and is still good for a few hours.

Fargus

Arcane
Thanks, i saw it on steam, maybe ill check it out. And from oculus store the only game i want is Arktika 1. Its not being sold anywhere else from what i know.

Games im thinking about getting on steam:

First and foremost Blade & Sorcery (watched too many videos to know this will be an ideal stress relief game for me :D)
HL Alyx
Boneworks
Hellsplit Arena
Gorn VR
Karnage Chronicles
Tales of Glory
TWD VR game, looks really cool
Red Matter
SuperHot VR for sure, because enjoyed original game
Hard Bullet
Pistol Whip
Everslaught

And i also want the Kodon VR sculpting soft. But im not sure its worth it. If the release version wont be shit i'll get it.

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
Thank you bros!

I will probably have to stick to steam library because meta is blocked in my country, i cant buy games in oculus store and first time set up of the headset will be tricky or i will have to pay someone to do it for me to make it easier. But i have options. Maybe ill buy headset with some games on it already like Superhot and Blade and Sorcery. One of the reasons why i asked is because where i am right now (in a countryside house) is enough spacing to move freely without bumping into shit like in my appartment. But i only have a modest laptop and limited internet bandwidth. My decent pc rig is in appartment along with fast internet.

So i will have to ponder on whether to buy it soon or buy it this fall. But i'm definitely going to.

I can imagine, because its the cheapest. I think it will be good entry level headset. I'd buy index but its overpriced and never been sold in my country.

Maybe a couple years later ill buy something new if things change. But right now it seems like the better option even with downsides and restrictions.
I think they canceled the requirement of a metabook account.

Fargus

Arcane
From what i heard quest 2 still needs a zukberg account. I guess they will in the future. Good news if so.

Perkel

Arcane
I have been using Quest 2 exclusively wireless over past year and it is easily best feature of it.

That being said it is worth to buy Virtual Desktop because it provides much better quality of connection than Oculus native wireless mode. Oculus wireless mode is tuned for people with shitty network and oculus pc software stack is not that great often causing some issues. VD avoids that completely uses its own service and your headset is detected natively as steamVr headset instead of oculus headset.

Saerain

Augur
Patron
Main thing I want to say here is that for any headset that doesn't already have its own headphones, I only recommend open-back headphones. Closed and noise-canceling designs may seem like a good idea for VR, but cutting off even more of your senses while moving around a virtual world is kind of asking for embarrassing disasters. Better off merging the virtual audio with your surroundings to be safe.

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
Chinese products definitely spy on you. So does tiktok if you install that on your phone.
But I have a Xiaomi air purifier.
I disabled the Wifi, but even if it doesn't disable the wifi when I set it, how would it connect to the internet if all wifi have passwords?
So I am guessing it's work on "success based", they don't care that you disable wifi, as long as 60% of the people using their product will voluntarily enable wifi.

Poseidon00

Arcane
Guys every device has been spying on you for well over a decade now. Get with the program

But I keep my VR in its box on a shelf in the closet when not in use so im not sure how much anyone could see or hear from it

Doktor Best

Arcane
You can install games directly to the headset via the Oculus store which you can access from pretty much the moment you get signed in.

Games you buy on your PC through Steam or otherwise obviously you need the link cable for. And I definitely recommend the Link Cable over all other wireless alternatives which I have found to be much more prone to lag no matter how much you alter it.

The games on PC via link cable are obviously PC dependent but my rig is years old and plays everything with only occasional, and very minimal, lag, and only on my heavily modded games.

Don't get frustrated by the barriers to entry, like learning the controls, choosing a good location, etc. That's the most annoying part of the entire thing but once you are comfortable with your setup it's one of the best ways to play any sort of vidya. Good horror stuff is everywhere rn especially.

A good new-to-the-system game to try out is Superhot. You can get a free demo on the store iirc. It's popular with pretty much everyone and is a good way to get gud with the controls.

I have been using Quest 2 exclusively wireless over past year and it is easily best feature of it.

That being said it is worth to buy Virtual Desktop because it provides much better quality of connection than Oculus native wireless mode. Oculus wireless mode is tuned for people with shitty network and oculus pc software stack is not that great often causing some issues. VD avoids that completely uses its own service and your headset is detected natively as steamVr headset instead of oculus headset.

I dont know what you guys are doing wrong but i have a very smooth experience with Airlink. Virtual Desktop is better for some games and provides slightly better contrast but with the tradeoff of more color artifacting. Its also less smooth.

You also forgot to tell OP not to buy the steam version of virtual desktop as it is useless for streaming pcvr. He needs to buy the oculus store version and install the streamer app on his desktop...

Humanophage

Arcane
Thank you bros!

You don't need to buy games for it. Here is an instruction on how to get games for free: https://web.archive.org/web/2022013...zhe-sidequest-u-i-ruchnomu-obnovleniyu-shlema

You also don't need to register with Faceberg.

It may look a little complicated at first glance, but I am unsophisticated and I had no trouble going through the motions, though they are sometimes quite silly. E.g., you need to click a button that only appears for a couple of seconds on a hidden screen.

Doktor Best

Arcane
You can just wait until Facebook requirements are lifted. I'm not sure but i think you can already register a non-Facebook Meta account.

Then you just buy games on SteamVR and you're using a subsidized hardware platform entirely within SteamVR

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.

Ok well...

1bbujr.gif

The reality is that there is no substitute for bandwidth so unless you are on Wifi-6E you simply are not going to get any image quality even close on Wi-Fi, especially on the more recent releases of Oculus Link that support much higher bandwidths.

Your real statement should be that wireless is for people with average to potato rigs that don't have the GPU / horsepower to push a wired cable to its limits. I have a monster rig and the difference between the ~3GBps available on the Link Cable vs the 867Mbps that Virtual Desktop can push is very noticeable.

A properly setup Link cable with Oculus Tray Tool is some next level shit, it is mind blowing in fact. Half-Life: Alyx in that configuration is what I imagined VR would be back in 2016 when I first tried out the HTC Vive and came back very disappointed. Now? It is next level.

All that being said, I --do-- like Virtual Desktop when I'm "slumming" and want to just chill w/o having the hassle of the wire to deal with. Beat Saber and other games like that are fine with VD. Heavy hitters like Half-Life and Asgard's Wrath that have mind blowing graphics get the cable only.

Perkel

Arcane
The reality is that there is no substitute for bandwidth so unless you are on Wifi-6E you simply are not going to get any image quality even close on Wi-Fi, especially on the more recent releases of Oculus Link that support much higher bandwidths.

Your real statement should be that wireless is for people with average to potato rigs that don't have the GPU / horsepower to push a wired cable to its limits. I have a monster rig and the difference between the ~3GBps available on the Link Cable vs the 867Mbps that Virtual Desktop can push is very noticeable.

A properly setup Link cable with Oculus Tray Tool is some next level shit, it is mind blowing in fact. Half-Life: Alyx in that configuration is what I imagined VR would be back in 2016 when I first tried out the HTC Vive and came back very disappointed. Now? It is next level.

All that being said, I --do-- like Virtual Desktop when I'm "slumming" and want to just chill w/o having the hassle of the wire to deal with. Beat Saber and other games like that are fine with VD. Heavy hitters like Half-Life and Asgard's Wrath that have mind blowing graphics get the cable only.

I don't know what you are sniffing but i want some of that. I have 3080 and run "monster rig". I can't see any difference between link cable and my wifi6 virtual desktop connection. In fact oculus stated that due to how their conversion works on the fly link cable doesn't even use more than 100mbit/s.

And yeah fuck cables.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom