Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eyestabber's in-depth guide to DR/AoD mechanics

agris

Arcane
Patron
You mean solo? :o It's now not possible - net only distract 6 AP, you can't eliminate spearman in one turn - at least I have no idea how it could be possible.
Also, there is something with their initiative, cause after your first turn they have two turns in a row - that's strange. Also happen in fight with Reinard, I found that ot today as swordsman didn't want to spent liquid fire on such trivial fight lol, and Reinard had two turns in a row.
And sometimes enemies zrcs liek your turn-->their turn-->your turn etc.
Ah, I must be thinking of a different encounter. The guy I'm thinking of had a big hammer (I think), but was flanked on the left an right by crossbowmen. Not spear wielders.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
OK, so I did with spear Enforcer fight, 2 bombs (different tier), 1 liquid fire, 1 net, spearman and Ismail.

And then was DEVASTATED in second fight with constructs - 3 bronze 1 steel.
Like, spear? put it into your ass sir, doesn't work here!
FFS was it some bad random orI did something wrong?

I compared my THC to what Eyestabber has in his video - despite him drinking berserk brew, my spearman had THC less then his sperman had.
Was something changed?

Last edited:

Atlet

Arcane
Vatnik
Tks a lot for this guide. Playing through this gem, and I am already enjoying it a lot.

Ihavenoidea

Educated
And then was DEVASTATED in second fight with constructs - 3 bronze 1 steel.
Constructs you could kill easily by attacking head and I remember it was changed.
It killed my first or second bulid - crossbow/shield charisma man. Constructs were a solid difficulty spike.

Out of curiousity -anyone finished the game with the Three Stooges from first camp? There should be an achievement for using only them.

skeeetNSSA

Barely Literate
Eyestabber: when you post images that show high level equipment, it takes away the sense of discovery in the game for other people.

Üstad

Arcane
Planning on playing with 10/6/10/6/4/4 shielded axeman, let's see how it goes in Dungeon Rats.

FriendlyMerchant

It's been six years and this guide still isn't complete. I'm looking forward to its completion.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Quick question. Ton of people shitting on one handed spear, but I saw that Scaurus' Spear is identical to Kadmus' spear in AoD, and that spear did absolute work. Is it not worth toughing it out until I can get my hands on it? Once I have it, I should benefit heavily from my ability to push back most enemies and my strong defensive bonuses from my shield? I currently have a stat point lineup of

7/9/7/4/4/9

Unwanted

†††

Patron
Quick question. Ton of people shitting on one handed spear, but I saw that Scaurus' Spear is identical to Kadmus' spear in AoD, and that spear did absolute work. Is it not worth toughing it out until I can get my hands on it? Once I have it, I should benefit heavily from my ability to push back most enemies and my strong defensive bonuses from my shield? I currently have a stat point lineup of

7/9/7/4/4/9
Main problem with one handed spear is how weak it is in early to mid game, but it's viable. But as you say, you're basically playing to get Scarus' spear, and steel gets outclassed by stronger armors late game so it's a bit of conundrum whether to use that or a well crafted normal spear with less reach.

Supposing you're playing solo, every shield build is viable (minus throwing), supposing you're able to tough it out in the early game for certain weapon choices.

EDIT: re-reading your stat allocation, it's clear you're playing with a party. It doesn't matter that much in that case, go for it. But 2 handed spears have a better synergy with the dynamics of party playing, you can kite enemies from a distance while your pals do the dirty work.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom