Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

F1 2018

Self-Ejected

Mañjuśrī

Self-Ejected
Patron
Released August 24th.

sweatonmybrow.png

F1 2018 will feature substantial revisions to its career mode compared to previous systems. F1 2017 introduced a detailed progression system that allowed the player to focus on developing the engine, chassis and aerodynamics of their car. This will be simplified in F1 2018 as Codemasters' research demonstrated that players were losing interest in the game before completing the car's development cycle.
:(
Players develop their cars by spending "development points", which are earned by meeting research and development targets during free practice sessions. Codemasters will introduce a wider range of free practice programs to the game in a bid to extend the game's longevity. At the halfway point of each championship, the player has the option of ending their development cycle and banking all future development points for the next championship. This function has a renewed importance in F1 2018 as teams are subject to rule changes at the end of each championship which can potentially compromise the car's performance.
Interesting to see how how well that plays out.

As with previous titles, F1 2018 will include "Classic Cars", or Formula One cars from previous seasons. The game will include the McLaren M23 and Ferrari 312T, which were driven by James Hunt and Niki Lauda during the 1976 championship; the Brawn BGP 001, the car which Jenson Button and Brawn GP won the 2009 World Drivers' and World Constructors' Championships; and the Williams FW25, the car with which Juan Pablo Montoya finished third in the 2003 championship. All of the Classic Cars that were featured in F1 2017 will be included in F1 2018.
nice.png

Career mode:

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Do they really charge full price every year for those things, basically buying the same game all over again with just a reskin?

Astral Rag

Arcane
I still enjoy racing against the clock and the AI with F1 2013's classic cars. That game also looks much cleaner than what I saw of last years version. Also, those new cars look positively retarded. I stopped following the sport IRL around the turn of the millennium and this is the first time I see these abominations. Did prosper get into vehicle design or wtf happened :lol:

:abyssgazer:

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Heh, just bought a couple of them for like 1 dollar each on G2A, 2011, 2012 and 2014 specifically. I'm sure i probably got the "shit" ones of the series, but i guess it's ok to goof around. I'm not a huge fan of racing, but my father was (he even had aspirations to become a race driver when young, did some competitions when he was in his 20s etc), and back in the day he had me set up simulators for him and got me sucked in the games. I never watch the sports on TV but i still play all the games :/

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I still enjoy racing against the clock and the AI with F1 2013's classic cars.

A shit so that's the one i should have gotten. 20 euros on G2A, i'll wait until it's one buck like the rest.

That game also looks much cleaner than what I saw of last years version.

If DIRT Rally is anything to go by, you can make the game look good by setting the post-processing to a minimum and using mods to remove some of the obnoxious effects you get when you crash etc, if there's any in the game.

Last edited:

Mustawd

Do they really charge full price every year for those things, basically buying the same game all over again with just a reskin?

The 2018 version has quite a lot of improvements to invrease the sim aspects of the racing experience. Unlike many sports games, F1 keeps pushing to try and make it more and more sim. It’s quite impressive.

Haven't actually kept up with the real F1 this year, interesting/nice to see the adoption of the halo to protect the drivers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_(system)

There were some mods to include it in 2017, but it looked awful IMO. The F1 2018 doesn’t look too cumbersome though. But it’s be nice if there was an option to remove it.

Also, if you haven’t been keeping up with F1:

-Hamilton and Vettel fighting for championship.
-Mercedes and Ferrari fighting for constructer’s
-Daniel Riccardo is leaving Red Bull at end of season and going to Renault
-Fernando Alonso is retiring from F1 after this year

Astral Rag

Arcane
A shit so that's the one i should have gotten. 20 euros on G2A, i'll wait until it's one buck like the rest.

Make sure you get the version that comes with the "90s Car Pack" DLC though.

The game runs very smooth, even in 4K on max-ish settings, on my old i7 920 with GeForce 960. Only thing that kind of sucked was the low resolution of the rear view mirrors but that can be fixed by tweaking an xml file.

edit:

EE7651AD6D1399756D51DD4D9852B81D75AF1B17

DEF229A270438C74B90E6B838720D790B69C8D7B

02FBEB92FEE5D5A0C153E1B8F6895C3E918E66E4

48DD0BF52D3EC3FA621DADD53B4D62137C30BC46

7297641A211004E4BA3F254640FE98376E89C285

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I remember that one. I also used to play F1 99-2002. I still have a torrent of it somewhere on my drive, wonder if it still works.

The game i really got sucked into was rFactor. I used to have a metric ton of mods for it, but i lost it all due to hard drive failure and getting all the mods back would be too much work at this point, also because their number has grown into infinity. They still make mods for that fucking thing to this day. Truly the Doom or Quake of racing sims.

On Steam i got all the SimBin games, DIRT Rally which i got for like 4 bucks on G2A (lmao), Stock Car Extreme which i got cheap on a sale, as well as stuff like rFactor 2 (which sadly is kinda shit) and some modules for RaceRoom Experience which was supposed to be the following to the SimBin games but never really took off. Ho, i also got Assetto Corsa but i rarely play it because my graphic card can't handle it well, and can't upgrade because of this bitcoin shit.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Wait, i just noticed F1 2013 is not on Steam. How come?

Neither is F1 2010, but there's still Steam keys for both on G2A.

Last year's version was already very good, will check this one out. Unfortunately, I don't own a racing wheel but for those of you with Xbox One controller, the game supports trigger rumble, which is a surprisingly neat effect that is sadly very underused.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Does the series have rubberbanding? Dirt Rally has been the only racing game I've really enjoyed because you aren't racing against shitty AI that gets/loses boosts depending on your own speed. I'd rather race against semi-randomly generated race times instead of seeing that kind of bullshit happen real time.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
The 2018 version has quite a lot of improvements to invrease the sim aspects of the racing experience. Unlike many sports games, F1 keeps pushing to try and make it more and more sim. It’s quite impressive.

Well, i just tried the ones i bought, 2011, 2012 and 2014. The first one wants windows live. Works offline but says it can't "autosave" and keeps pestering me to log in after the start of every race. So basically i wasted a buck.

Either way, they all seem way too easy. DIRT Rally felt simulationist enough (never played Richard Burns Rally, which was supposed to be the gold standard of rally sims. Maybe DIRT Rally is too easy as well by comparison). I understand the game was going to lack all the engine customization shit and crap like that, but i thought the driving model was at least realistic. I mean i haven't even hit the curb once on the couple of test runs i did, forget about spinning out of control for breathing too loudly near the controller.

I also though they were all pretty much the same but apparently driving model and game features change from game to game. Is there a definitive "best" one in the series? Heard 2016 is better than all the previous ones besides 2013, which i can't buy anyway (is 2013 recommend only because of the classic cars, or is the game good in itself?). 4 bucks on G2A, still worth it maybe, but not if its so easy to play and beat the AI. 2017 goes for 8 bucks, starting to get too expensive for my tastes.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Does the series have rubberbanding? Dirt Rally has been the only racing game I've really enjoyed because you aren't racing against shitty AI that gets/loses boosts depending on your own speed. I'd rather race against semi-randomly generated race times instead of seeing that kind of bullshit happen real time.
Rally games are pretty much the only racing games I enjoy, and that's one of the reasons. AI is incredibly hard to get right in a racing game. Formula One is even harder than most if you want to get even close to realism, as the difference between a great driver and a mediocre one might be just a fraction of a second per lap, and overtakes are (or at least should be) rare and difficult to pull off.

That being said, I haven't played an F1 game for nearly two decades so I've no idea how good the new ones are.

Astral Rag

Arcane
I don't know about the other games in the series but AFAIK there is no rubber banding in 2013. I play on Professional Difficulty and the AI drivers are definitely no pushovers and I think there are still two difficulty levels above that : shredder :. However, I'm far from a racing god so YMMV. In my experience AI drivers are pretty smart and rarely crash into you unless you do something retarded yourself. That being said this is not a pure sim but rather a simcade game. It's much more forgiving than say Assetto Corsa.

You can disable the popamole Flashback System and you can tweak the HUD or disable it entirely. You can enable modern features like ABS on the classic cars if you want but fortunately they can't have the KERS and DRS features the 2013 cars have.

One gripe I have with the game is that the mirrors are not usable in all classic cars, by that I mean that the FOV is too narrow to see them without first looking left or right. There are mods that supposedly fix this issue but I have yet to try them.

I only race with the classic cars and that mode only has basic, but customizable Grand Prix, Time Trial and Challenge modes but none of the Career stuff you find in the main game. There are 4 classic tracks but you can race on all modern tracks as well.

The game only has one other (free) DLC and that is Niki Lauda's 1976 Ferrari 312. Which you can still unlock free of charge.

By default there is a crappy filter when driving the classic cars but you can disable it in the options menu.

This mod looks cool, I'm going to have to try it one day:

https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/f1-season-1999.5109/

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
F1 is so lame. I just want Chodemasters to stop being garbage and making more good games like Dirt Rally and Grid. Dirt 4 sucked, it wasn't arcade enough to be dumb fun like Dirt 1-3 but it wasn't realistic enough to have the rewarding simracing feel of Dirt Rally either.
If/when they do make a new game, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD drop the procedural generation of tracks and make more maps. Dirt 4 was low on content and Dirt Rally could have been better/more diverse.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Modern F1 is super pussified too ever since the Americans bought it. Rally is barely in a better position because of FIA stupidity (1.6l engines only looooool), but the danger of Rally still keeps it interesting.
Also some sick insider info, the WRC 2019 game might be made by Codemasters because Kylotonn didn't make a 2018 season WRC game and instead are focusing on V-Rally. Might mean that their contract to make WRC games is over now. Phil Mills was at Codemasters a while ago recording codriver lines and he made a now deleted facebook post of him there, he didn't say Codemasters by name but there is a old picture of Dirt 3 recording and it was exactly the same spot. Might be making connections where there are none on CM getting the license but who else could make a official WRC game that doesn't suck?
fxxysc.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom