Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

F2P MMORPG recomendations

flyingjohn

Arcane
Can anybody recommend the best current free to play mmorpg?
Don't care much about type of game play as long as there aren't insane micro transactions involved.(and that the game doesn't force you to use micro transactions because of horrible grind)
Browsing other forums most of the recommendations come down to:
-Terra
-Guild wars 2
-Dungeon and dragons online
-Neverwinter
-Wildstar
-Rift
-star wars the old republic
-EVE
-Not a mmorpg but some people are recommending path of exile and warframe

Any of these good?

Not interested in any coordinated raids or competetive PVP stuff,just want a mmorpg i can play with a couple of friends for a couple of hours for fun without spending any money.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
DDO, POE and EVE are p. gud, Warframe is getting grindier all the time but it's still enjoyable.

MMOs are in a quite bad shape nowadays, shame.

Jazz_

Arcane
Most of those you listed are not really ''free to play'' tho, since the free to play version of those games has gated content/limitations, and EVE requires a subscription after the trial.
An interesting mmo is Wurm, the basic free account gives you quite a lot of freedom, I remember being able to build my own house on my own lot and own and ride cows as a free to play member when I tried it, but of course there are still limitations in place to your skills (for example you can't ride a horse as a basic free account member, and you can't build a stone house, etc) and it's still subscription-based if you want them removed.

Stokowski

Arcane
EVE has a completely free "Alpha" program, but it restricts players to basic skills and ships. So a significant portion of the content is basically out of bounds, or at least, not experience-able in anything like a fun way. Also, the gameplay really doesn't lend itself to a small group of buddies getting together for a few hours here are there.

SWTOR's free system is horribly restrictive, with even basic functionality like skill bars and inventory space locked behind payments. Also, you can really only do the storylines as a freebie, which means good value for a soloer wanting to play a KOTOR-lite game, but again, not for a small group.

GW2 is buy to play, but I think it's not so expensive these days(?) for the base game. Good, polished, fun, slightly action-y MMORPG that might appeal to your group ... or not. Tends to polarise people, you either love it or hate it. Check out some vids. EDIT: Now that I see the base game really is free I think you should definitely give it a try although it's a sizeable download (about 28Gb).

Neverwinter. Not up to date on this one as it never appealed. Thought it was retarded sparkly, spastic hack'n'slash goofiness. Might be fun with friends though, and I think the free game works well enough without locking too much cool stuff behind a play-wall. Not really sure though.

I think Tera (and Blade & Soul) are basically OK if you must have titties and/or lolis, but are pretty grindy. Not sure about the group experience.

I didn't realise Rifts was still going.

You might find some useful info from this YouTube channel.

Mustawd

DDO gives away turbine points to buy expansion packs, and you can earn those by completing certain types of quests. If you play regularly it's totally doable.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Decided to go with dungeon and dragons online.(especially since the group likes dnd)
Thank you everyone for the suggestions.

made

Arcane
If I had the time to spare, I'd probably pick up Rift again. It gets boring and grindy like the rest of them, but the class system is a lot of fun to experiment with. Plus, their F2P model is the most generous of the bunch.

Norfleet

I got nothin'. All MMOs are shit and there's nothing I'd care to inflict on others. Definitely not any of the ones on your list, which are shittier than any of the things I'm already not recommending.

Aothan

Magister
if Terra and Rift are on the list then I could recommend Aion for mmo group pve

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom