Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Fable: Lesson Learned - Shit sells

Ryuken

Liturgist
Sol Invictus said:
At least the PC version has an awesome interface.
While I agree on the part that Fable is just an action rpg, not Dungeon Lords bad but just average, the interface is really sh*t, when trying to equip new armour or dividing skill points, they really picked the worst way of handling it. Hundred clicks just to equip something is not what I call really PC-friendly.

The quickbar solves some stuff, but it isn't big enough if you have to put in all the emotes too, they should have provided some extra bars like in NWN.

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
The problem is with Fable that it is a console crpg and it is the future. You will be playing similar games. Look at the sales charts!
Cheap games for stupid kids.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Why would we be playing console CRPGs in the future?

In case you haven't noticed, there's NWN2, Dragon Age, Hellgate: London, Titan Quest, The Witcher, and Gothic 3. None of which look like console RPGs.

I completely fail to see how Hellgate: London can be classified as a console RPG when it's getting a PC-only release as said so by the developers themselves that they don't want to make games on the console (OH BUT THEY LIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DEVELOPERS ALWAYS LIE!!!!!!) and the fact that you don't find stats, gameplay or an inventory like HG:L's on any stupid console game.

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
I hope, you are right and the games you have mentioned aren't the last mohicans.
Console game sales are increasing and pc game sales are decreasing and I expect more console crpgs.
I tried recently Demon Stone, Sudeki and Fable and it was a terrible experience. I am not interested this crpg style.
I do not know why they are calling them crpgs.
I did not say that Hellgate is a console crpg.
Anyway I am curious about that Gothic3 will be only in Germany.

Stark

Liturgist
Sol Invictus said:
I completely fail to see how Hellgate: London can be classified as a console RPG when it's getting a PC-only release as said so by the developers themselves that they don't want to make games on the console (OH BUT THEY LIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DEVELOPERS ALWAYS LIE!!!!!!)

stop putting words into people's mouth. it's annoying.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Why? Straw man arguments are always fun. After all, VD does that in all his news posts and nobody seems to mind. Least of all you.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Well VD, most of your news posts have some innuendo in it. I don't mind, it's the codex way, but it is nearly every newspost you write. I wanna see some of those sly remarks when(if) you're interviewed about your pet project...or when it gets torn down or hyped around here. :wink:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Trash said:
Well VD, most of your news posts have some innuendo in it. I don't mind, it's the codex way, but it is nearly every newspost you write. I wanna see some of those sly remarks when(if) you're interviewed about your pet project...or when it gets torn down or hyped around here. :wink:
Innuendo is a straw man argument? News to me

Sol said:
I liked his reaction to the post about his game on RPGDot. That was ironic.
What part? People bitching about the Codex because of the NO MORE FREE RIDES FOR TROIKA comments? I had to defend the site because of something incredibly stupid that you did. Yep, that's ironic.

As for my game, I'm ok with the fact that some people don't like it. I didn't whine about it or try to convince people to give it a shot. The discussion was mostly about the Codex, and I participated in it mostly as a staff member, not as a game developer.

Here is the link if someone cares:
http://www.rpgdot.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=441836

Here are the comments that I started replying to:

The cold truth is, Rpg Codex can bitch and humorize on Bioware games all they want but games like Kotor sold millions of copies and if millions of people bought their product there must be a reason for it, or should i believe millions of people are dumbarses ignorant and you're the enlighten one? You tell me
RPGCodex has been one of the most vocal and idiotic "forces" on the RPG community for some time
Do I need to prove it? Go check your own website...
Or even other forums, since people like Exitium (or should I say, Sol Invictus) made sure to post in Fallout boards, and even the Obsidian forums, about Troika's demise?
Your staff even has to change it's nick's to hide comments made (yep, Exitium made the comments about Troika, but he is no more; make way for Sol Invictus!!! ).
So, Exit, your point was?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
VD participated in the thread not as Ned Stark the father, but Eddard Stark, the Lord of Winterfell. One must defend the honor of the Baratheon crown even if one forsakes his duty as a father. Oh noes!

Vault Dweller

Developer
I like the Codex, obviously, and while I won't try to convince people to like it, I will always try to clear some misconceptions about the site like "it's a Diablo/Hellgate fansite" or "RPG Codex celebrates the demise of Troika". Sadly, you are responsible for both.

As for the game, I was there to answer the questions about the game, not to argue with people who didn't like it.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I'm responsible for "It's a Diablo fansite" even though Saint is quite clearly a fan of the game, as much as I am and isn't afraid to say so in his news posts? Incredible!

I aspire to make straw man arguments as often as you do, VD. You're quite unfailing in that regard.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Riiight.

Diablo: The Greatest Game of All Time

Sol said:
GameSpot has called Diablo one of their Greatest Games of All Time, and rightfully so. I can't imagine the thrill I had unwrapping my Diablo box on my 13th birthday, opening the jewel case, inserting the cd, installing the game, and playing it... much to my awe and exceeding every single one of the expectations to heights I couldn't even imagine.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
No kidding, VD - GameSpot called it the greatest game of all time so that's how it appeared in the news post. Great detective skills.

Vault Dweller

Developer
First, see the paragraph I quoted. Second, since when do we repeat everything that GameSpot says?

TheGreatGodPan

Arbiter
Sol Invictus said:
One last thing: Freedom Force sucks ass. I don't get the hype behind that game, or anything Irrational develops. Irrational sucks ass. They fucked up Tribes, so fuck them. It remains to be seen if BioShock will go fuck itself like every other game they've made. SWAT 4 needs better AI.
System Shock 2 fucking ruled. And Freedom Force was a pretty good game. But the most important thing is how awesome System Shock 2 was. Could it have been better? Sure. But it already is better than most games.

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
That quote sounded like you wanted to masturbate to your copy of Diablo. And I don't think you were joking when you made that news post either... :shock:

Drakron

Arcane
Neither was Diablo ... it need improvement and Diablo 2 was in my view the wrong way to turn the game into.

The end of Troika was no laughting matter, it was sad because unlike other companies who will remain nameless they sticked out for their idea of RPGs design intead of doing sequels.

LlamaGod

Cipher
Sol Invictus said:
System Shock 2 was a decent game but it was most assuredly not awesome.

You only say that because Saint doesnt like it.

Now YOU'VE GONE ROGUE and are a hybrid of Saint's likings and that of a mainstream action gaming halfwit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom