Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Fabled Lands is an upcoming digital adaptation of the 1990s gamebook series from Prime Games

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Fabled Lands; Prime Games

Prime Games is an indie studio from Bulgaria that appears to specialize in developing digital gamebooks. Prime's first three games on PC were based on their own original fantasy and sci-fi settings, but they've apparently made enough of a name for themselves to get to work on a more famous IP. Fabled Lands was a short-lived series of gamebooks by British tabletop authors Dave Morris and Jamie Thomson released back in 1995-1996. Prime's adaptation is also called Fabled Lands, and it's their first game to be described as a full-fledged RPG. As you'll see in the recently released announcement trailer, the presentation is still rather simple and gamebooky, but maybe this is the beginning of a Trese Brothers-like evolution. I'll post it here along with an excerpt from the game's announcement post from last September.

Ahead of its time

Fabled Lands feels like a computer game on paper. There is no main arc, no plot to advance. Instead, a full-fledged open world which you can roam freely across six books, each of the books representing a single location. When you reach the high peaks of the mountains in the north of Sokara in book one and, for example, you could find a passage to the other side, you would continue your adventure in the Plains of Howling Darkness in book four.

Exploration brought forward many interesting and sometimes bizarre quests. Like releasing the High King from his frozen tomb. Or a city of ghosts that guards the Shadar's treasure vaults. Even obtaining the secret of immortality which is contained in the ancient evil of Kaschuf the Deathless.

There is also a harsh economy based on valuable local currency, namely Shards, obtained through wise trade of numerous items, lofty maneuverers with the local merchant guilds, stashing goods in your own property, or buying and selling cargo aboard a freshly bought sea vessel.

All this felt truly like what cRPGs offer nowadays.

Naturally, one thing led to the other…

In 2017 I founded Prime Games. I started small, adapting short gamebooks, developing my skills. Fast-forward and its 2019 with the studio having a bit of a portfolio built up. I was getting hungry for a bigger title and eager to finally sit down and create a full-blown RPG.

Over the years I followed Dave Morris’s Fabled Lands blog, learned of the anticipation for a worthy digital representation of their series and plotted (as a true acolyte of the dark lord would do). The day to reach out for the license of their work was upon me!

Plans were made. Plane tickets bought and ships outfitted. One of the players had the founder skill, and he plotted a course to the United Kingdom. Another considered the supplies the party would need. Soon we were ready to set out on a new expedition. And all because one of the players happened to spot the email address of the Fabled Lands’ authors…

Ladies and gents *drum rolls*

I am thrilled to embark on the journey of turning this epic series into a computer game. Let's start by saying that there will be:
  • Interactive world map that will become the heart and soul of the game with locations from the books.
  • Branching text visualized in a modern, user-friendly fashion.
  • Turn-based tactical combat system adapted for PC gamers, retaining and expanding upon the balance achieved within the books.
  • Reworked classes and character progression skill trees.
  • Resource management systems (inventory, blessings, hideouts, resurrection deals, skills, abilities, cargo, etc.)
  • Save/load for normal mode and, of course, the lack of such for Iron Man mode.
  • Visual effects and animations.
And many, many, many more things to come in the following months of teasers and updates.

Fabled Lands is scheduled for release in early 2021. For more details, check out the game's Steam page.

Curratum

I was googling about for PC gamebook adaptations one day and ran into the developer's website, was very pleasantly surprised.

The game is shaping up pretty well, I've been on their discord. Sadly, I never played the books as a kid because they didn't get translated here but I'll be glad to catch up. The twist here is that they're as open as possible, almost like a sandbox solo RPG and not like the more classical Fighting Fantasy stuff by Jackson and Livingstone. Godspeed, hope the game turns out great!

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I played the Java version of Fabled Lands from the sourceforge site and had a lot of fun with it. I'm looking forward to what they do in a graphical format.

Ranarama

Learned
Looks good for a mobile game

Honestly this is the kind of game I would play on mobile. There have been too many games lately that by rights fucking belong on mobile, but are to proud to be on the platform. I don't want a short turn-based combat, or a CYOA gamebook on PC, I want them on mobile.

flushfire

Augur
I can never understand the appeal of emulating representations like cards and figures in video games where the limitations of reality are absent. It looks cheap and lazy and hampers immersion. Sure, it's a gamebook adaptation, but why not go most of the way in giving it life? Even a 2 keyframe animation would look better than static figures (they even have stands ffs).

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Looks interesting and quite polished, I actually like the artstyle. But then I never play mobile games so I have no idea how they look like :)

The question to me is whether a CYOA book with turn based combat would hold my interest for more than a few hours, probably not.

Trailer music was ultra-generic.

Casual Hero

Augur
No... way...

I LOVE the Fabled Lands gamebooks. They seriously are the Daggerfall of CYOA books.
Definitely curious to see how this turns out.

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
No... way...

I LOVE the Fabled Lands gamebooks. They seriously are the Daggerfall of CYOA books.
Definitely curious to see how this turns out.
I have the first book. I tried SO HARD to get into it, but the initial enthusiasm just fades away after a while, for some reason. No incentive to finish a story (can you even finish it?) in a world I don't really care about.
But I love the idea of the books, if they made something similar in a world I'm familiar with (Forgotten Realms, Dark Sun, LotR, Planescape, etc), I would definitely try to get into solitaire book-RP again.
[deleted whole rant about how all these new IPs coming out trying to fill my already cramped head with more and more imaginary worlds]

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom