Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Fallout Fabulous New Vegas: A Fallout Modding Guide

Discussion in 'Obsidian Entertainment' started by Sigourn, Dec 7, 2021.

1. Sigourn Futa Lover

Sigourn
    A modding guide for New Vegas by yours truly.

Click here to get started.

Fabulous New Vegas is a modular modding guide for Fallout: New Vegas. It addresses a number of significant issues with the game:
    • Bugs and stability: includes all major bug fixes released for the game so far, and a handful of minor, purist bug fixes that are entirely optional.
    • User interface: improved readability and functionality, ironed out inconsistencies between carried over and new assets.
    • DLCs: reworked implementation, GRA items available as loot and expansions delayed.
    • Gunplay: new mechanics and improved animations for a more satisfying experience.
    • Difficulty: using JSawyer Ultimate Edition as a base to rebalance the game for a more hardcore experience, and other mods to improve NPC AI and mechanics, more dangerous radiation, decreased loot, harsher economy, less absurd repair system, less OP companions, and more.
    • World: restored content, new NPC and creature spawns.
    • Characters: lore-friendly overhaul of NPCs that makes them look less like mutated Play-Doh and more like actual people.
    • Lighting: removed disgusting piss filter, improved weathers, better LOD to experience the Mojave in all its glory.
    What this guide doesn't do:
    • Address every single micro-issue in the game: no game is perfect and all of them have flaws, yet we still enjoy them. My intention is to fix or at least address the most glaring ones, those that are a problem in the moment to moment experience.
    • Add new features no one asked for: there are many gameplay mods out there, but the amount of them that actually try to fix issues with the existing game are in the minority. If you want to build your own settlement or robot army, look someplace else.
    • Nitpick over individual meshes or textures: unless it's an actual fix, this guide won't bother. And even then, it probably won't bother either.
    • Improve the meshes and textures of everything I can: this alone can add another 50 or 100 mods to any install, and inconsistency will sooner than later rear its ugly head.
    I've worked on this modlist for a few years already, but only recently decided to make a guide out of it. All I ask in return is your patience when it comes to following instructions. If I took the time to write them, you should take the time to read them.

This is not a modding guide for beginners. A certain level of modding competency is expected.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2022
    • Brofist x 12
    • Prestigious x 4
    • Informative x 4
    • hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Friendly x 2
    • Merry Christmas! x 1
    • Participation Award x 1
    • incline x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • popamole x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. PrK Learned Patron

PrK
    I’ve already managed to mod New Vegas, but your Morrowind vanilla guide was excellent, do you happen to have something for Oblivion? I remember spending a week a long time ago modding it, and it was great, but it kept crashing shortly after exiting the sewers so I just gave up.

^ Top  
  3. Sigourn Futa Lover

Sigourn
    Unfortunately no. Oblivion is one game that never managed to draw my attention.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas! x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Nano Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Nano
    Why the fuck are there so many NVSE versions that need to be installed now? Can't these people just band together and combine it all?

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    modders fundamentally don't understand the concept of collaboration

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Nano Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Nano
    A lot of them don't, but this is the same community that brought us the YUP patch.

^ Top  
  7. typical user Arbiter

typical user
    Great! That is what I was looking for, a proper guide how to integrate JSawyer Ultimate with popular bugfixes and overhauls.

Great work, the best thing is most of the stuff is essential. Only UI is subjective but also easy to mod thanks to User Interface Organizer scripts.

I would also add mods like visible body in first person, third person diagonal running animations and additional tweaks from B42 Inertia's author like throwables overhaul. I think Freeside and Strip Open mods have been redone from scratch and shouldn't conflict with anything listed there.

^ Top  
  8. catfood AGAIN

catfood
    The only needed visual mod is the one that removes the piss filter.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Sigourn Futa Lover

Sigourn
    Fuck if I know, but it bothers me too.
    Sadly the Morrowind community is far better at this. MWSE is a single "mod" (bundled with MGE XE) and it doesn't have dozens of additional plugins.

I was thinking of adding more mods but I want to be cautious about that. At the moment I'm running the alternative Vanilla UI Plus option that uses the classic Pip-Boy font for the Pip-Boy. And I made the Pip-Boy UI green for that classic feel. Diagonal Movement and 360 Movement is something I'll add in a future date, again, under Optionals.

By throwables overhaul you mean the Grenade hotkey mod? If so, I was thinking of a lighter, less buggy alternative to add.

And regarding Freeside and Strip Open: I don't know how compatible the latter is with Strip Lighting Overhaul, which is a must have for me seeing as it fixes once and for all the terrible lighting in the Strip.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Sigourn Futa Lover

Sigourn
    Updated.
    Changelog here.

Most importantly, added Quick Grenade Hotkey, and Alternative Repairing (Optional).

^ Top  
  11. Rabbity_Thing Arcane Wumao

Rabbity_Thing
    Finding New Vegas is not the hard part. It's letting go.

• Funny Funny x 5
    ^ Top  
  12. Sykar Arcane

Sykar
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. Gilius Thunderhead Savant

Gilius Thunderhead
    I'm a true FNV veteran with over 1000 hours on Nexus mods. I'll save your guide for when I feel like playing playing the game again and need to be dissuaded at all costs.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Sigourn Futa Lover

Sigourn
    My guide is pretty much an extension of that one. It includes nearly all of its mods except for a handful (Simple Interior Lighting Overhaul, Altitude, The Living Desert).
    But it should be just as stable as that one.

^ Top  
  15. MadMaxHellfire Arcane

MadMaxHellfire
    ^ Top  
  16. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    There's a critical lack among all those above guide

Lack of Unarmed rearm mod

Not mod per se but a replacer, adding unarmed moves and poses into the game. It start out as Fallout3 mod but applicable without fuss to FNV.

You dont use unarmed? No problem, human enemies use them too. You actually see them use much more often than you yourself.
    --------------
    A very nice quality of life mod is
    1. Open Radio . This mod make sure you can hear Black Mountain Radio, and two soft-music Strip radios anywhere in Mojave. Why? Because BMR has best voice radio. Mr New Vegas suck ass. and classically softly played in background is nice. Make full use of existing asset in vanilla game, as it were~

Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
    ^ Top  
  17. Yaar Podshipnik Arcane Patron

Yaar Podshipnik
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I am really thick about this, but what does it mean to
    • Forward the Ingredients section for record 00140A66
    I've found the record, I see the Ingredients, but how do I do "Forward"?

Also, I assume "Plugins to Load" lists modules I need to choose at start of FNVEdit. However, when I choose the listed plugins, it always automatically selects some more (deps I guess). Is that ok, or does that need to be manually fixed?

screenshots of what I see (open)

EDIT:
    This is what I see
    [​IMG]

EDIT EDIT:
    Does it mean doing this (by dragging values from one mode to another):
    [​IMG]

3rd Edit:
    While doing the GRA tweak, the drag method doesn't work:
    [​IMG]
    How to deal with this?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
    ^ Top  
  18. Ibn Sina Savant Patron

Ibn Sina
    Strap Yourselves In
    No amount of polishing can shine a turd, and NV is the smelliest, disgusting turd of them all.

• Agree x 3
    • Shit x 3
    • Edgy x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • No x 1
    • Okily Dokily! x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Diablo1_reborn Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic Patron

Diablo1_reborn
    Yaar Podshipnik
    what exactly is not working regarding 3rd edit? Do you get an error message?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Yaar Podshipnik Arcane Patron

Yaar Podshipnik
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    regardless of what I do, I can't move the values from one mod to other. The cursor is the "not allowed" one when I try to drag values. I really need step-by-step guide on how to do that one.

I think you're in a wrong thread then.

^ Top  
  21. Sigourn Futa Lover

Sigourn
    Yaar Podshipnik

Hard to explain without making a video. You need to click and drag on a field to move it from one plugin to another plugin. In the first example you post it, you need to click on the Conditions (aligned) row, JSawyer Ultimate column, and drag it over to the same row, but under Mojave Arsenal. That basically gets the job done. Now you repeat the same thing, but for the Ingredients row, clicking on it under the JSawyer Ultimate column, and dragging it over to the Mojave Arsenal column.

On the second example, you want to click on the LVLO - Base Data row for the first item, and drag it over to the JSawyer Ultimate column. Then repeat the same process for the remaining two items. The reason it didn't work is because you were dragging an individual "item" instead of the whole information (which includes Level, Reference, and Count).

Lastly: yes, you need to load the plugins I listed, but automatically the masters for those plugins will be loaded. Do not worry about those.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Yaar Podshipnik Arcane Patron

Yaar Podshipnik
    Sigourn Dammit, can't believe it was so easy :D

Anyway, it all works now, FNV looks decent even for this day and age. Thank you very much for the instructions! Whole thing took less than 3hrs, nothing near the 5 mentioned somewhere :)

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. Sigourn Futa Lover

Sigourn
    Awesome!
    I simplified a few mods by uploading my tweaked versions (instead of asking the user to download multiple files).

I don't know why I avoided uploading patches instead of asking users to make those FNVEdit tweaks. Probably because they involve so many plugins that to address the issue "correctly" I would need to upload like 3 different patches instead of a single one. Then again, I could do just that and provide a single "all in one" version. Though in all honesty, the only conflicts worth solving of all the three present is the one regarding thrown weapon availability from vendors.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Red Hexapus Learned

Red Hexapus
    Thanks for the modlist, I think I'll try it for my next playthrough (especially that it is based on VNV which I find quite good).
    A question: have you included any mod to prevent the companions from attacking the enemies on sight? I've skimmed through the list but couldn't find anything like that. I find it utterly annoying when e.g. Boone decides to to engage a deathclaw, which I was attempting to sneak away from :( (or companions running towards enemies right into a mine...)

^ Top  
  25. Diablo1_reborn Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic Patron

Diablo1_reborn
    JIP CC

There is a passive companion option in the mod menu.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.