Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Factorio - a factory building game

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Campaigns and scenarios are largely (read: entirely) irrelevant, the GUI is perfectly fine as-is and is much better than it was (although it has always been an excellent GUI, just without as many nifty and convenient features), and the fluid rework can wait.

Not seeing the problem, here. There are only a handful of games in the entire history of computing that have been designed and built from the ground up as well and thoroughly as Factorio has been. This development team has made so many good decisions and pulled off so many elegant and ingenious implementations that it's hard to find fault with them in any way, except in what they haven't done. To me it seems ridiculous to react negatively to a slight rollback.

Alfgart

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I have not followed development for more than a year now. If they are cancelling/postponing the new campaing, fluid improvements and GUI rewrite, then what exactly will be new in 1.0??

Ironmonk

Augur
Factorio 0.18
Planned
  • Rest of the major GUI rewrites - Character GUI, Blueprint library, etc.
  • More High-res entities/Redesigns.
  • Some New/High-res icons.
  • More Modding/Scripting features.
  • More Map editor features.
  • Mini tutorials. We would like to iteratively improve the quality of the tutorials based on our first attempts and cover the rest of the game mechanics by it.
  • Final GUI improvement. Finishing the rest of the GUIs in the game.
  • Final game balancing.
  • High-Resolution sprites for the rest of the game, including a few redesigned entities.
  • Final Graphical tweaks.
  • Better sound design.

In other words: polishing and bug-fixing

I really hope for expansions that cover water (vehicles, resources, enemies) and flight (vehicles and enemies) properly.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I have not followed development for more than a year now. If they are cancelling/postponing the new campaing, fluid improvements and GUI rewrite, then what exactly will be new in 1.0??

What will happen is that Factorio will transition from being >98% complete to 100% complete, subjectively speaking, of course.

Although it's very common these days, not every game need remain in a state of perpetual development, with the regular announcement of new content and nominal improvements. Being a complete, well-made package is often more than enough. In fact, adding way too much shit post-1.0 can diminish the whole.

Mind you, I imagine Wube will continue to improve the game in small ways occasionally, such as by putting in work revamping the fluid-handling system. However, demanding that a game add more stuff in order to make you want to play it again is wrong. The correct and fully inclined way to enjoy replaying a great old game is to wait until the mood strikes you again a year or even a decade down the road, without the need for additional enticement.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
They just do minor crap because they don't need to make the game better. They can get away with it being half baked because their audience is full of dimwits with no standards.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Mind you, I imagine Wube will continue to improve the game in small ways occasionally, such as by putting in work revamping the fluid-handling system. However, demanding that a game add more stuff in order to make you want to play it again is wrong. The correct and fully inclined way to enjoy replaying a great old game is to wait until the mood strikes you again a year or even a decade down the road, without the need for additional enticement.
There is also already a half-dozen conversion mods in various states of playability.

Mind you, they have been doing almost nothing but polish since the artillery update (which was 2.5 years ago), so I do think it is a bit sad they're not including anything special for 1.0. Hopefully they've been working on a second game in this time as well.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
How are crappy cosmetic mods "excellent"...? An excellent mod would be one that improves the gameplay somehow or makes it look much better. You have the weirdest low standards.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
How are crappy cosmetic mods "excellent"...?

None of the mods I linked are cosmetic. The second mod (Pavement Drive Assist) adds scripts, functionality, and hotkeys only; the third (Factorissimo) is almost entirely functional in nature and contains many complex features, having graphics mainly because physical entities in a graphical game are represented with graphics; and although the first, Asphalt Roads, adds many art assets (but also contains scripts, features, and functionality), the stripes, signals, and signs COMMUNICATE INFORMATION about routes to player(s).

Once again you prove beyond all doubt that you're a fucking idiot. Only a moron of your caliber would consider a stop sign or a railway crossing signal (in a game with trains and vehicles that can and do collide, I should stress) to be cosmetic DLC with no practical function, you utter fucking nitwit.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Big deal, still a bunch if minor crap for a shitty overhyped dumbed down game. And you LOVE it, so sad.

Dumbed down compared to what, exactly? Tower defense games aren't far behind hidden object games in terms of being made-for-mobile, casual shovelware.

You must have in mind a superior exemplar in order to make such a comparison, so tell me: what game?

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Big deal, still a bunch if minor crap for a shitty overhyped dumbed down game. And you LOVE it, so sad.

Dumbed down compared to what, exactly? Tower defense games aren't far behind hidden object games in terms of being made-for-mobile, casual shovelware.

You must have in mind a superior exemplar in order to make such a comparison, so tell me: what game?
Dumbed down compared to RTS's I was playing 20+ years ago.... You clearly don't know Tower Defense games. Go get Defense Grid and see how far you get. Tower Defense games are far more advanced and interesting than this shit glorified Lego game. Factorio is the nearest I've seen to the obvious evolution in these kinds of games, but they didn't go the whole way because the devs are shit and the audience let them get away with it. People like you robbed the world from a revolution in gaming that has been a long time coming but still doesn't exist. And it may never exist because Factorio has proven just how low peoples standards are, so other companies will just pump out more of the same shit, Satisfactory, Factory Town, Autonauts, etc... The same with better graphics for simpletons like you.

Cirtdear

Savant

I invite you to criticize any of my games if they ever get released. That said..

Factorio's enemy unit variety and tactics are underwhelming. It's sandbox meets low effort RTS rip off, but MOST importantly ignores its important starship troopers roots. The game uses replayability of building factories as a crutch for real replayability.
You know all those crazy sim games like sim-cow, sim-rat, sim-scrooge, sim-truck? Factorio is overglorified version of those while giving us not so glorious things to do as people who build the factories.

The solutions however are simple.

-More prosperous creatures.
-More prosperous structures.
-Enemy Anti-Missile Towers with 1/3 effectiveness
-More prosperous wildlife.
-Occasionaly Enemy Missile Counter-Strikes aka EMP Dung Bombs. (only triggered if you missile strike them)
-More prosperous game world. (why do only roach-maggots rise up against me?)
-Reasons that promote factory designs over others than just pure logistics.

Cirtdear

Savant
The game is also very lacklustre as an FPS when compared to Quake.
I was thinking the same fucking thing. It makes the short-sighted mistakes of bethesda without even being Halo. The nukes are also limp and the endgame nonexistent.
Neither of which help the shitty inventory and hotbar gui. It's a good game but not a top 5.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot

I invite you to criticize any of my games if they ever get released. That said..

Factorio's enemy unit variety and tactics are underwhelming. It's sandbox meets low effort RTS rip off, but MOST importantly ignores its important starship troopers roots. The game uses replayability of building factories as a crutch for real replayability.
You know all those crazy sim games like sim-cow, sim-rat, sim-scrooge, sim-truck? Factorio is overglorified version of those while giving us not so glorious things to do as people who build the factories.

The solutions however are simple.

-More prosperous creatures.
-More prosperous structures.
-Enemy Anti-Missile Towers with 1/3 effectiveness
-More prosperous wildlife.
-Occasionaly Enemy Missile Counter-Strikes aka EMP Dung Bombs. (only triggered if you missile strike them)
-More prosperous game world. (why do only roach-maggots rise up against me?)
-Reasons that promote factory designs over others than just pure logistics.
Exactly what I have been saying. Simple to fix but they don't bother because most of the players are easily pleased morons who would have been perfectly happy with SimCity 1989.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
>a game about factory-building uses factories as an excuse to avoid including these features that I want from other genres

lmao

Anvi, thank you. Your stubborn stupidity never ceases to delight and amaze me.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It isn't other genres though, we have been over this... It has defense towers, waves of enemies, guns, grenades, a tank, etc...

Richard Leaks

Educated
It's definitely more complete than Minecraft industrial mods that it was actually based on. Has been at least since 2015.

Norfleet

Factorio is half baked? What the fuck. That's hilarious.
It IS kind of half-baked, though. I mean, we get to research Flight in the game, but it doesn't actually enable anything to fly. It takes a mod just to enable something as basic as allowing me to identify as an attack helicopter. And as far as I can tell, peak awesome has actually been passed and the game's official development has actually gone into regression. See: Oil nerfs. When have they actually added anything lately?

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
People like you robbed the world from a revolution in gaming that has been a long time coming but still doesn't exist.
You don't get what I'm saying?

Have you played an RTS like C&C or Supreme Commander? Instead of 1 or 2 defense towers, imagine you have 10 that each do different things like slowing the enemies down, blasting them with fire (good against groups but weak against armored), cannons (good against single targets), tesla coils, artillery, rockets, anti air, anti stealth, etc. So you focus on building towers in a maze pattern so enemies have to travel through the maze of towers to reach your base. If you design the maze well enough and have good enough tower placement and types, then the enemies die before reaching your base. That's how a Tower Defense game works. But instead of being just a small fixed map, imagine it is a huge map like Factorio. So instead of a maze being several lines of towers with a few choke points, it is 100 lines of towers spreading miles. You build your factory the same way but instead of spending the resources on just growing the factory bigger and bigger for no reason, you grow your defenses instead, or face getting overrun.

Then late game, you build RTS units to head outwards and start defeating the enemies beyond your defenses. Sure beats building a hurr durr rocket that launches for no reason. There are already games very close to this, and Factorio could have been the first and best to take it all the way. But any time someone criticized the half baked combat on the forum or on steam (and lots of people have), they got met with a wall of REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE GO PLAY SOMETHING ELSE FACTORIO IZ PERFEKT U JUST HAF TO BE KREATIV!1!!!1!! moron children. Like Blaine, Nutria, etc.

Last edited:

Norfleet

Factorio enemies don't respect mazes, they just chew their way straight through obstacles. If you annoy them too much by trying to build a maze, they'll just eat the maze.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom