Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fading Afternoon - beat em up action RPG about an ex-Yakuza

Modron

Arcane
Yeo, the guy behind the excellent The Friends of Ringo Ishikawa, is working on another game in the same vein called Fading Afternoon and the only two posts mentioning it here are from me so I thought a thread on the game would be in order.

http://fading-afternoon.by-yeo.ru

You play as Seiji Maruyama, a middle-aged yakuza recently released from prison. Old tropes are here but you can choose to not follow them. The question is — does anything really matter that much now?

The game features:
- Multi-endings;
- Complex beat'em up action;
- Mini-games;
- City to explore.

balcony_smoking_2x.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Modron

Arcane
Devlog #1
Hi.

I was thinking about running some kind of a devlog somewhere, and maybe Steam is the best place, cause all players will be here after all.

But I'm not sure if players even read devlogs here at Steam.

Anyway. This time I want to give players more freedom with interacting with the game's world, so your actions will matter, and you'll receive different endings. I'm not sure how complex it will be, but you already can kill your own boss anytime.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1687000/announcements/detail/2942527343055804748

Modron

Arcane
Devlog #2
Hi.

We've finished all battle animations (maybe I'll add some more later though) and I made "Rumble mode" which will be opened after the first playthrough. It's more or less standard Survival mode where you can choose a location, weather, music and type of enemies you wanna fight (I'll think about Leaderboard, but that's not certain).

I wrote almost all criminal routes (with dialogues) for the game and now I am working on cutscenes and peaceful routes. I want to add more freedom to some scenes, so they will be only half-scripted. Like in this scene where you can pass by or help a fellow from your family. It's also up to you whether you will comfort him after the beating or not.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1687000/announcements/detail/4491772591075215704

Modron

Arcane
It is actually a proper rpg, has stats and skills that improve by use, multiple endings, quest chains, et cetera. Go play games instead of edgelording, I wouldn't have to explain this if people would play decent stuff like the Friends of Ringo Ishikawa instead of only playing popular popamole console games exclusively.

Last edited:

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Interesting concept. Considering the amount of Yakuza films in Japan I would have expected to see something like this before, and made in Japan, not Russia. I see this guy's done two games before now, how are they?

Modron

Arcane
Interesting concept. Considering the amount of Yakuza films in Japan I would have expected to see something like this before, and made in Japan, not Russia. I see this guy's done two games before now, how are they?
The Friends of Ringo Ishikawa is a melancholic slife of life sim RPG with combat like River City Ransom and a pretty good game. I haven't picked up Arrest of a Stone Buddha yet because it's more of a side scrolling metal slug-lite shooter with some intermissions.

Berengar

Learned
Ringo Ishikawa is an underrated gem. Still gotta check out Stone Buddha. Stoked this dev is making more stuff!

Skdursh

Savant
Ringo Ishikawa is an underrated gem. Still gotta check out Stone Buddha. Stoked this dev is making more stuff!
I'd recommend against Stone Buddha. Besides the visuals it has nothing in common with Ringo Ishikawa and you will be disappointed... like I was.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Suppose I'm not a huge fan of beat-em-ups. Is Ringo good enough to me look past that?

Skdursh

Savant
Suppose I'm not a huge fan of beat-em-ups. Is Ringo good enough to me look past that?
It's not really a beat-em-up. More like an adventure game with the option to fight people. You can go through almost the full game without fighting anyone if you really want to.

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
It is actually a proper rpg, has stats and skills that improve by use, multiple endings

That's a Visual Novel with worthless numbers, not a RPG...

I wrote almost all criminal routes (with dialogues) for the game and now I am working on cutscenes and peaceful routes. I want to add more freedom to some scenes, so they will be only half-scripted. Like in this scene where you can pass by or help a fellow from your family. It's also up to you whether you will comfort him after the beating or not.

Wow, Codex GOTY, best RPG game game ever!

Modron

Arcane
Sorry I interrupted your regularly scheduled discussions of such classics as Dying Light 2, Maneater, Pillars of Eternity 2, 2-3 threads on Skyrim, Fallout 4, Waylanders, New Dragon Age, Asscreed Valhalla, et cetera (all pulled from just the first page of GRPG by the way).

Fading Afternoon has charcter skills and stats that improve with use, multiple endings, and multiple ways to solve problems (per even that quote you should have snipped better to make your point). If the fact that this is more of an rpg than some of those bothers you so much feel free to ignore the thread.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
It is actually a proper rpg, has stats and skills that improve by use, multiple endings

That's a Visual Novel with worthless numbers, not a RPG...

Another shit-for-brains post where you mistake your garbage taste for facts. Yeah, that's not how it works.

So you have garbage taste, and you're borderline retarded to boot, so you can just assume you're wrong. Then go from there.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Yakuza in mid-life crisis simulator/RPG? +gorgeous pixel art and groovy music? I'm hard again

Modron

Arcane
Been a bit of absence from twitter since he was plugging away at the game and that it's more cumbersome to access twitter since he's a vatnik but he did finally post another little snippet.

Here's another diversion you can engage in

Batting cages

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
He posted a clip him playing the rumble mode he added to the game which demonstrates the combat (to my knowledge he hasn't spoken about the acquisition of combat styles/moves yet, whether you know them off the bat or have to unlock trainers, train with them and invest in skills like in Ringo).

Sounds like the game is a lot larger in area than Ringo and longer in game since they are working on making backgrounds reflect all 4 seasons.

This combined with earlier fishing suggests the game isn't just confined to the urban environment.

Visiting a hostess club

Dating

Last edited:

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
This Ruskie Dev has poured more love in this game then most parents do in their children. Looks brilliant

Modron

Arcane
Recap time:

Looks like there will be multiple characters to control.

Wonder if he'll stop with 1 or continue on to more underlings.

Daily living.

He teased some earlier seasonal backdrops
FVOplgFWUAABsk8

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom