Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fae Tactics - SRPG by creator of Valdis Story

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
http://faetactics.endlessfluff.com

https://af.gog.com/game/fae_tactics?as=1649904300

While browsing TIGForums I found this very nice looking game by the one(s?) who made Valdis Story. While the graphics look nice the mix between Final Fantasy Tactics and Culdcept Saga of all things was pretty interesting.

Here's the latest blog post that describes the game better than I can:

This is the first of a series of small posts I’ll be making about the design and development of the core game play in Fae Tactics. This post will briefly go over the combat system as a whole and the follow up post will go into some details about specific parts.

As with all of our projects there are a large number of influences from our life long love of games. If I had to narrow it down the two most important influences to this particular project are Final Fantasy Tactics, and Culdcept Saga. What we were aiming for was a combination of the now classic tactical combat of FF Tactics with the collectible and strategic deck(party) building found in Culdcept Saga. Before we started any of the main development there were a few design constraints I established with the intent of keeping the scope in check (Haha) as well forcing creativity in the design of the game. The main one of these constraints was no combat menus. With this in place I designed as much of the combat as I could to be context based. Now let’s take a look at exactly what that meant.

2016-12-13.gif

The combat progresses in Rounds and each one has a player turn and an enemy turn. On your turn each of your units can Move and/or take Action. One way to bring depth to the combat system with no menu was through the movement system. Each Unit has stats for Move Distance and Jump height. How far and how high a unit can go greatly alters how that unit can be used strategically.

ft_test02.gif

mov_icons.png
Selecting an empty space within range will cause the active unit to move there. There is of course standard moving by walking and jumping up/down on terrain, but some units also have passive movement skills that alter how they can move. For an examples, units that have the Aquatic move skill can walk on both land and water and receive a buff while in the water. Units with Aerial move skill have an increased evasion chance as well as being able to move over most terrain and avoid triggering traps. Positioning is also very important since attacking from behind decreases the targets chance to use reaction skills and attacking from high elevation grants bonus damage.

ft_test03.gif

atk_icons.png
Selecting a space occupied by an enemy unit will cause the active unit to make an attack action. Each unit has multiple attributes for their attacks that I will go into more detail about later. For now I will only talk about attack types which each unit has one of. Units with Arch attack type have a greater vertical reach (both up and down) than standard attack types, but deal reduced damage to units directly next to them forcing them to keep their distance from the target. Melee attack type units can perform combo attacks if they are standing adjacent to an enemy unit that is currently being attacked by one of their allies.

ft_test05.gif

new_icons14.png
Selecting a space occupied by an ally will cause the active unit to assist that unit. Assisting can grant various stat boosts as well as Enchants (We’ll talk about Enchants and Curses later) and even reviving wounded allies. The type of assist used is determined by the Element of the assisting unit. I will explain more about this in a post about critical damage which is also determined by element.

party.png

Building and customizing your party is a very important part of the game. There are many factors to take into consideration when selecting your party. Factors like movement skills and attack types mention above, as well as other traits and abilities we have yet to show you. Your party can have up to three “Leader” units and up to three “Summoned” units. Leader units are the main characters of the story and each have there own set of unique skills. If a leader unit dies that’s game over. Summoned units on the other hand are re-summoned at the start of each battle and can freely be used to scope out or set up your enemy. That doesn’t mean you should use them recklessly though, having the right summoned units to support your leaders throughout the battle can make a huge difference. There is also the fact that summoned units that die during a battle don’t receive the bonus victory Xp awarded at the end of a battle. In another post I will go into the details of customizing, upgrading, and obtaining your party.

That’s it for this first post about the game play in Fae Tactics. We look forward to showing you more about the combat. (All sorts of cool stuff like spell talisman and super moves!) We’ll send you off with some of the awesome music Sam English has composed for the game so far, bye for now.

Here's another with music and some .gifs showing the whole UI:

music-update.gif

Development on our SRPG, Fae Tactics is still coming on strong! So strong, that I forget to update you here on the Endlessfluff blog. If you follow us on twitter you might already know this but…

Fae Tactics now has music and it’s the beautiful sounds of SAM ENGLISH!
It has been a treat to work with Sam so far. His style and melodies are a perfect match for the style we’ve been developing for this project. (we really enjoyed Vagante’s OST. Check that out ) I knew we’d be thrilled if we could hire him as composer but I didn’t anticipate how pumped I’d get after hearing each new track he creates. Things are brewing here in our little office… good things, highly inspired work. I wish I was 100 times faster so we could share the whole game the way we envision it with you, but quality takes time and effort. For now, why don’t you listen to Sam’s tracks: Wasteland Battle while observing some new screens.

aqua_1.gif

The battle begins!

aqua_21.gif

Rough look at talisman selection

aqua_3.gif

Aquatoise has quite the helpful passive ability!

So what are we shooting for at the moment? We are currently working toward finishing the first 1/4th of the game. At this stage we are having fun by adding in things we didn’t plan for but we are also carefully keeping the entire game and its needs in mind. We can’t afford for the entire game to take too long in production so we would like to finish this first chunk of the game in the coming months. That sounds like a long time for this first chunk of the game but it includes a lot of preliminary programming framework and design passes. These things take a lot of tweaking. We anticipate development will go faster as we move forward.

cutepeony.gif

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
It's interesting that they don't use the same art style as in Valdis Story, they both look very good.
The UI is pleasant, very fluid and dynamic, I wonder if they'll manage to make something fun with no menu, that's an interesting choice.

I can't wait to play the game.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It'll be interesting to see if what they are going for will work or not.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
One sure thing is that the OST will be top notch, they launched a Kickstarter specially to get the composer on Valdis Story, and the OST of Valdis Story is one of the recent best.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well according to the second post they got another composer for this game, Sam English.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
My bad, I completely misread here and thought they managed to get the same composer, I actually played Dungeon Hearts that he worked one but I can't really remember anything about the music.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
https://endlessfluff.wordpress.com/2017/01/31/fae-tactics-game-play-dev-pt-2/
elements1.png

Today’s post will be all about Elements. Units can fall under one of Eight possible elements (Including Physical or no element). There are a couple of stats that are governed by a units element which can give you a general idea of what that unit may do and how to fight it.

Critical Hit
oro_critical.gif

Aside from any unique skills, critical hits are determined by a units element. Attacking a unit with its counter element(s) guarantees a critical hit dealing significant bonus damage.
A few examples are…
new_icons1.png
[Water] magic attacks deal critical damage to [Fire] elemental units.
new_icons2.png
[Fire] magic attacks deal critical damage to [Earth] and [Ice] elemental units.
new_icons7.png
[Arcane] magic attacks have a 30% chance to deal critical damage to any unit.

Assists
curse_enchant.gif

A units assist action is determined by its Element. Learning and memorizing the assists types helps when putting together a party with good synergy.
A few examples are…
new_icons0.png
Physical [Inspire]: [Enchanted] with [Inspire].
new_icons1.png
Water [Cleanse]:
Heals [Hp] and removes [Curses].
new_icons3.png
Earth [Barrier]: Gain +5 [Max Mb].
new_icons7.png
Arcane [Cloak]: [Enchanted] with [Cloak].

Reaction Skills
reactionskill.gif

Only leader units attain reaction skills. These skills have a chance to be used when the unit is directly attacked. Knowing what reaction skill an enemy will use based off its element can sometimes help you choose a more effective attack plan.
A few examples are…
new_icons4.png
Wind [Parry]:
20% Chance to block and counter melee attacks.
new_icons3.png
Earth [Defend]: 75% Chance to gain +10 [Def] until next turn. (Max 5 Stacks)
new_icons5.png
Ice [Cold Aura]: 25% Chance to release a Freezing blast.
new_icons7.png
Arcane [Return]: 20% chance to reflect elemental projectiles.

Enchants and Curses
Enchants and Curses represent the positive and negative status effects in Fae tactics. They are not linked to element, but I felt this was a good time to talk about them since many of the assist actions involve enchantments. A unit can only be affected by one Enchant or Curse at a time. This means that removing a curse from your ally is as simple as using an assist that would place an enchant on it. Alternatively you could potentially remove an enchant from an enemy by cursing it.
A few examples of enchants and curses are…
new_icons28.png
Inspire: Grants +5 [Atk] and +10 [Def].
new_icons26.png
Dance: +30% chance to [Evade] attacks.
new_icons31.png
Haste: +2 [Move] distance.
new_icons36.png
Poison: Unit takes moderate [Earth] damage each round.
new_icons37.png
Blind: -40 [Accuracy].
new_icons43.png
Root: Unit is unable to move or [Evade].

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://endlessfluff.wordpress.com/2017/08/24/life/
Life.
Posted on August 24, 2017 by Caro!
Why hello there!

It’s been a while hasn’t it? I’ve been holding off on writing this one. Apologies. You might be wondering how is Fae Tactics coming along. What happens at these small Indie Dev studios? Well sometimes shit happens. And when shit happens, it pretty much messes up everything. I mean, we are a really small Indie Dev studio. I’m often surprised when we get serious job applications that want to relocate to our location … Endlessfluff Games is just two people very dedicated, very passionate people. Our more dedicated followers know that, but most people do not.

In fact, this is our work space, if you are interested in seeing. Kyron’s desk is the one on the right and mine is the one on the left. The living room is further to the left, off camera.

5747259914720213411-account_id1.jpg

It has been a really rough 2017. Before I get into some details, I can happily tell you that we are recovering from it. The last post was at the end of January… Oddly enough that was my birthday. I didn’t celebrate my birthday. I found out my mom was ill and on my birthday I flew to Chile, South America to be with her. I was very optimistic. I figured I would get her better and head back home. That’s not what happened. My mom was a very healthy person so it shocked everyone that she was given 2 months to live. So, I had decided to spend the rest of this time with her and try to make the best of it.

mom.jpg

As you could imagine, this was the most difficult time of my life and I had to put all game creation on hold. Kyron tried to work on some stuff but my absence made it hard for him to move far forward. On my end, it was nonstop trying to save my mom even it it meant just making her happy. I was in Chile for a week, then when the care was not sufficient, I took her back to NYC for better health care and to spend time with my siblings. I lived in the hospital for 20 days with her. Then when there was nothing left to be done, I took her back home to Viña del Mar, Chile. We lost her to Non-small cell lung cancer on April 21st. I’m not trying to depress anyone but If you’ve been through something like that before, I want to give you the biggest virtual hug I possibly can. If not, I hope you never do. I loved her very much. Claudia from Legend of Fae is sort of based off of my mom. My mom always had a limp because when she was young she had polio, just like Claudia, but it was never something that held her back. It seemed to make her want to do more.

mom2.jpg

My mom, in the tiny house she had build in the Chilean land she nurtured into fertility.

What about Fae Tactics?
camping.jpg

Kyron continued working on it for a while but since I could not contribute for some time, his work was held up . Sam was able to make some beautiful tracks up until the inevitable halt.

“Halt”. What a nasty word but let me explain. Along with the emotional toll of losing a parent. There’s also a financial hit. There was a lot of time lost. Originally we wanted Fae Tactics to come out late this year. Unfortunately, that’s unlikely. However we still need the income a new game release would provide. So, there has been a slight change of plans. Kyron has been working on a shorter game at the moment instead of Fae Tactics. It was either dramatically cut Fae Tactics short or work on something new that can be released sooner. These decisions are hard to make but I was really against cutting Fae Tactics short. We have so many ideas for it. So right now, I have to catch up while Kyron is working on something new. I know it’s a bit disappointing to hear. I’m sorry. I am often tempted to just have us go full steam ahead on Fae Tactics… because I am feeling much better but there’s something else to tell you… and you probably already know if you looked a few lines down.

Man this is one loaded ass blog post!

I’m having our little bundle of code!

She looks really cozy with her leg up and yawning…

We have a little girl on the way! She’s is also my happiness!! ❤

I know, in terms of game development… it’s not the greatest news. I hope you’ll be patient with us and continue to support us in the future.

I will try to update the blog with whatever happens. This is all new territory for us. I have never had a new born before to know what it’s going to be like. We want to enjoy her as much as we can but what I do know is that we NEED to release Fae Tactics for the sake of our own little growing family! It would be a lot of wasted work if we don’t. We just have to play it by ear.

Well, that’s it for now. At some point, perhaps Kyron will share what he’s working on too.

See you around.

Caro.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
After a rather eventful 2017, we're almost back into full gear. I'll try to get another game play update out soon, but here is a screen from a map I'm currently working on and the camping mini game in action.
screen_1.jpg

camping1.gif

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
New update : https://endlessfluff.wordpress.com/2018/04/09/fae-tactics-game-play-dev-pt-3/
It has been a long time and, as some of you know, a lot has happened. In this post I will go over some of main changes/developments that have happened to Fae Tactics.

Upgrade!
First off, the game has been moved from GM Studio 1 to GM Studio 2. The Process was relatively painless but it did require a good chunk of time to go over every inch of the current game to find what/if anything was broken.

Team vs Speed
There was a bit of back and forth about which type of turn based combat we wanted to go with. Team based being what you would see in a game like Fire Emblem or Advanced Wars, and speed based like what you would find in Final Fantasy Tactics. I made quick tests of both styles and weighed the pros and cons of each against what we wanted to achieve. While team made it much easier to set up combo attacks, a single strategic mistake was brutal to sit through as you watched the entire enemy team do their turn and proceed to jolly stomp one or more of your units. Speed based required a good bit more conscious effort to perform combos since you had to watch the turn order or potentially have your target move out of position, but it allowed for the possibility to react to a bad decision and change strategies mid turn.
hh_00.gif

We eventually settled on speed based turns because of the versatility it offered. One thing we wanted to avoid is the easily exploitable nature of speed based turns where if you jacked up a units speed enough they could get multiple turns before anyone gets to do anything (while this may be fun/broken when the player does it, the enemy getting multiple turns can be rather frustrating). So what we have is a sort of hybrid where the combat is still locked into rounds and each unit only has one turn per round. The Speed stat determines where they are on the turn order, so having a higher speed gives you the advantage of going first or the flexibility to delay your turn until you feel the moment is right to make your move.

Spell Talisman
hh_01.gif

Currently you can equip up to 3 Spell Talisman to use in combat. We currently have about 40 or so spells planned with 29 of them already functioning in game and more than half of those already acquirable in the current build of the game. There a variety of offense, defense, and support spells that can really alter the effectiveness of your party composition. Both the player and the enemy can only use one spell per round. Once used the spell has a cool down period (different duration for each spell) before it can be used again.

I’ll try to catch up on some of the other things that were done later. I’ll just dump some of the other work we’ve posted in other places here. Seeya later folks.
edit_map_00.gif
priest1.gif
priest_concept.jpg

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
December Update
It’s been a while since the last update and a lot of things have happened in the passed week. First off, some important news – We are working with Humble Bundle as the publisher for Fae Tactics! We have been partnered for a while now and it has really been great for the project so far. They are giving us the support we need to see the project to its full potential.

humble.jpg

Secondly, this passed Saturday (Dec.8) Fae Tactics was part of Humble Bundles upcoming games of 2019 montage for the Kinda Funny Games Showcase. Yep, you heard it Fae Tactics is coming to you next year! If you missed the showcase you can watch the video here or click the image below to be taken to the twitch stream.

The Humble Bundle montage starts a little after the 37 minute mark, but there are a ton of other cool announcements if you have time to watch the whole show. Check out the clip we put together for the showcase below.

If you’re wondering why we didn’t update sooner or give a heads up about the showcase, it was because of this…

totoro-illustration_invite.jpg

4185772360346730681.jpg

We were busy preparing for Roxie’s first BIRTHDAY!!! So things were pretty hectic on our end but fun times were had by all. See you at the next game dev update!

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Hopefully this year, actually.

Full update : Hello 2019!
webillustration.png

Hey happy New Year and Happy Lunar New Year! Hope your year is shaping up nicely and if it is not great yet, you have a lot more of the year to turn that around :)

There might be less activity on here from us but there certainly is activity on the development front!

The game is moving forward with most recent developments being testing controller support. Other than that, we are still working on the usual. As we play, bugs are found and squashed. On top of that there’s just the continued development of the game. We’re working hard on new areas, enemies , characters and story. While an expected release date is still unknown we are working pretty hard to get this game out this year. Wish us luck!

If you are reading this, Thank you so much for your continued support.

Fae Tactics Now has a STEAM PAGE and if you are waiting for its release, it would mean a lot if you added it to your wishlist! Click the link below:

>>>>Fae Tactics on Steam <<<<
Thanks for stopping by and we’ll see you next post!

bunny.jpg

-Caro

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom