Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Fairly inane Fallout 3 plea at Crispy Gamer

Calis

Pensionado
Tags: Fallout 3

From the "this wouldn't have been news if it hadn't been put into our contact form" department comes this analytically-infantile piece of crap that another of the site's editors touts as "thoughtful":
<br>
<blockquote>Let's pull title number three from the aforementioned top 10 list: Fallout (and its sequel, which I sort of lump together, though I think the original is a slightly superior overall title). I love Fallout. I have replayed Fallout more times than I can count, using a variety of different character strategies. I keep it installed on my laptop at all times for boring flights, train rides and visits to the coffee shop, and my most recent full play-through was only a few months ago.</blockquote>
<br>
Nobody who has read the ~1000 words of white noise you produced believes you, Chris.
<br>
It's hard to really make fun of that editorial, since really, there's nothing there. <A HREF="http://www.crispygamer.com/_GeneratedPages/Features/Feature688.aspx" target="_BLANK">THERE'S NOTHING THERE!</A>
<br>
<br>

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
They have a cool mission statement*.

"Crispy Gamers have no tolerance for fan boy writers and reviews influenced by Big Media and big ad dollars. You hate site takeovers and pre-roll videos announcing another overhyped game coming soon. You want to hear it straight and unfiltered, having no time and money to waste playing bad games."

Yea, they are the total rebelz of the mainstream!

... oh wait.

*Ya that was stolen from a BN post.

Calis

Pensionado
You know what the strangest part is? The guy who wrote this was responsible for a few Gamespy features that were actually worth the read.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
What's with all the copy+paste opinions on Fallout3. Everyone, I mean everyone is saying "I love the FAllouts. They're the best ever. I play em at home, in school, at work, I read the manual at night before I go to bed, I carry it with me wherever I go.... But I think it should be a fps shooter and ur backwards if u think otherwise kthxbai!"

Anyhoo, you can complain about the article here: http://www.crispygamer.com/groupdiscuss ... opicID=852

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, basically, he just has the "feeling" that the game is going to rock and lost all advisable cautiousness and scepticism. I believe him. Really, I do.
It really is more fun to be excited about a game than to be worried about it.
Unfortunately, in the process of "becoming excited" he forgot about all the facts indicating that it will be far from great (those that don't even to do with Fallout)....

Calis

Pensionado
Just to summarize the piece for anyone too lazy to read it:
Calis said:
Oblivion was an amazing achievement.
Bethesda made Oblivion.
Fallout 3 will be awesome because Bethesda's making it, so don't get nostalgic about brownish colors or isometric view
24 words, and that's counting 3, 's and 't.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Calis said:
Just to summarize the piece for anyone too lazy to read it:
Calis said:
Oblivion was an amazing achievement.
Bethesda made Oblivion.
Fallout 3 will be awesome because Bethesda's making it, so don't get nostalgic about brownish colors or isometric view
24 words, and that's counting 3, 's and 't.

So basically it's just like every other Fallout 3 preview out there? Meh, not surprising. I somehow can't wait till the game is released, just to play it and write a review of it. And to read the Bethesda forums for epic lulz.

Texas Red

Whiner
I know without any doubt that, despite some design decisions, I will enjoy ME and Alpha Protocol. Yet I can't say the same for FOblivion. Bethesda has yet to release a single game that is simply enjoyable. Daggerfall, Morrowind and Oblivion all have seriously major flaws that render them nearly unplayable.

Andhaira

Arcane
What they are syaing makes sense. Fallout 3 may very well ROCK as a GAME. Which, again is what they are basically saying.

It willl NOT rock as a sequel to the originals.

Andhaira said:
What they are syaing makes sense. Fallout 3 may very well ROCK as a GAME. Which, again is what they are basically saying.

No...it still doesn't. Their logic is that since Oblivion was great as a game that Fallout 3 will be great because of Bethesda's amazing talent. They base that Bethesda has this talent because Oblivion was such a masterpiece.

Big flaw there though; Oblivion sucked. That kind of kills their argument, eh?

cardtrick

Arbiter
JarlFrank said:
So basically it's just like every other Fallout 3 preview out there? Meh, not surprising. I somehow can't wait till the game is released, just to play it and write a review of it. And to read the Bethesda forums for epic lulz.

The release of FO3 is going to be the final deathblow for the Codex. Mark my words. We will be overrun.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
cardtrick said:
JarlFrank said:

The release of FO3 is going to be the final deathblow for the Codex. Mark my words. We will be overrun.

We have to misspell Fallout 3 in every post we make, so the kiddos searching for "Fallout 3" in google won't find a link to the Codex there.

hotdognights

Novice
The Walkin' Dude said:
I know without any doubt that, despite some design decisions, I will enjoy ME and Alpha Protocol. Yet I can't say the same for FOblivion. Bethesda has yet to release a single game that is simply enjoyable. Daggerfall, Morrowind and Oblivion all have seriously major flaws that render them nearly unplayable.

I have to agree. The wiki-dialog, the arcade combat, the lack of C&C-all these would be forgivable if Bethesda managed to make their games fun .

Shoelip

Arbiter
I thought DF was fun, when it worked, and Morrowind had awesome atmosphere, and wasn't terribly boring either. Oblivion...

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
cardtrick said:

I'll migrate in the other direction like I did last time.

That was not an editorial which was written but a series of apparantly random thoughts garnered whilst toking in the bath and written in the steam on the bathroom mirror.

Editorials are meant to be thought-provoking and punchy, not stoned and wet.

DraQ

Arcane
Shoelip said:
I thought DF was fun, when it worked, and Morrowind had awesome atmosphere, and wasn't terribly boring either. Oblivion...
..was so boring it made your brain leak out of your ears. It raped the setting and lore in general too.

I must admit, though, albeit reluctantly, that the SI expansion while burdened by the flaws inherent in OB's core mechanics and design, happens to fall on this side of borderline enjoyable. The setting and story are much more interesting, NPCs less dull (they lack genuine insanity, though) and overall, when compared to vanilla Oblivion, the expansion looks like PS:T compared to BG1.

It's still not great, but it's massive improvement.

MountainWest

Scholar
JarlFrank said:
We have to spell Fallout 3 correctly in every post we make, so the kiddos searching for "Fal ouwt 3 - the bestest gaem evar" in google won't find a link to the Codex there.

Fixed.

Nutcracker

Scholar
Andhaira said:

It willl NOT rock as a sequel to the originals.

If it does turn out to rock as a game, who cares about your last line?

MisterStone

Arcane
Somehow, lost within all of this concern was a simple fact to which I should have paid more attention: Oblivion, though not without its flaws, is the single best game that I have played in nearly four years. It's better than BioShock, better than Mass Effect, better than the Half-Life 2 episodes and certainly better than fun-but-less-inspired titles like Gears of War.

I guess this guy likes playing with Barbie dolls and FPS shooters. So is he qualified to be writing about Fallout?

Black

Arcane
Without killable kids it's going to be christian rock at best.

Tree138

Novice
I thought that .gif was funny at first Andhaira, but do you have to keep posting it? Stop being a retard.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Edward_R_Murrow said:
No...it still doesn't. Their logic is that since Oblivion was great as a game that Fallout 3 will be great because of Bethesda's amazing talent. They base that Bethesda has this talent because Oblivion was such a masterpiece.

Big flaw there though; Oblivion sucked. That kind of kills their argument, eh?

From what I've read around various comment threads on other sites, the "OMFG OBLIVION ROXXORZ" opinion has died down in the recent months and gave way to, "Ya know, Oblivion was kind of mediocre." I'm actually kind of amazed it took as long as it did for the hype to wind down considering the new additions to the series in Oblivion were either broken like the Radiant AI or poorly designed like the horses. Meanwhile, Oblivion cut out a good chunk of other things like the land size, skills and weapons. Oblivion is just less than Morrowind, which I think most gamers actually see now.

But hey, most gamers are bitches for the hype trains, so I can see why they follow the line of thought that Fallout will be great because Bethesda can hype like few others.

Andhaira

Arcane
Oblivions grafixare superior to morrowinds,as are the animations and spell efects/lighting effects and character models.

As such, the generalcommunity will always praise it over morrowind. (which itself was not that hot a game too you know)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom