Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 2 with low INT

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I never tried to seriously walk through FO 2 with INT=2, but I started today.

And, aside from lulzy dialogs, it appeared frustrating since you don't get any quests, earn extremely low amounts of EXP and have very few SP on level ups.

So what's the point?

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's a gag, that's all. You need to metagame p heavily with mentats and such in order to get a decent amount of XP (or you can just rush around and exploit the metaknowledge you already have, F2 can be beaten in a matter of minutes after all).

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
it's fallout, if you only play "optimal" characters you'll get bored fast (and you are dumb)

vota DC

Augur

And, aside from lulzy dialogs, it appeared frustrating since you don't get any quests, earn extremely low amounts of EXP and have very few SP on level ups.

So what's the point?
Level cap Is more generous than 1, if you survive early game maybe you could grind, tried with 4 but of not the same.

deama

Prophet
At one point I went with a high luck and low INT build, it was pretty fun and managed to get to end game.

Zer0wing

Cipher
So what's the point?
Point is that low INT are a running joke of F2. The game is longer than Fo1 and thus, EXPECTS you to metagame around quests or to earn xp through pointless genocide. In fact, despite having bigger supplementary material for dumb char build, it's less playable than the first game like that.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
I played Fallout 2 a shitton of times, but mostly with optimized OP builds: classic 10AG 10INT 10PER Gifted diplo-sniper; 10LUCK always crit brr guy, optimized unarmed basher... Tried some more interesting builds, like energy weapons as early as possible without investing in anything else, but after a rush to Sierra it plays the same as previous ones. It gets repetitive and I kinda lost my interest to replay Fallout 2 due to that. But now, this thread and the pygmy thing over in the next one kinda inspired me to try several really gimmicky runs, including:

- 1INT, obviously. It goes well along with the unarmed build, I recall one cool letsplay of this build somewhere at NMA.
- Pure support char (fixit with full party control is a must). The goal is to pump CHA and support skills, recruit as many people as possible and let them do the fighting, while you will be running around and pumping them with meds and drugs.
- Pacifist run. Pure pacifist is not possible, but invest in no more than one combat skill and avoid killing people and critters as much as possible.
- Only throwing build is possible, but not too fun due to the scarcity of throwable weapons.
- Master Exploder build: requires mods due to AP rockets being bugged; otherwise is doable - specc Heavy Guns and Throwing and just explode everything. Although, not too fun due to the same reasons as only throwing build - scarcity of ammo. (both could be improved with a little cheating with save editor: as you reach the trader, just add items you want and remove money for them accordingly. Requires restrain so not to cheat away like a cheap bastard)
- Cursed man: 1LUCK and Jinxed. Actually did that - as an addition to diplosniper, plays rather smoothly but with a risky touch and occasional reload

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
i thought it is? isnt it how speed runs were made?
I'm not talking speedruns - regular run with the majority of possible quests.

Technically, two characters are required to beat the dust to finish the game - Franky and the president, although it's possible to kill them indirectly.

Pacifist runs can be graduated: don't kill anyone or anything, don't kill living creatures (robots can go), or simply don't kill just humans. If ghouls and muties apply as humans is up to one's own discretion. All is doable.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Never interested me to play it like that, but the dialogue I've read is hilarious with the low int character. I always went with melee and small arms builds. Even though I always go melee in RPGs, the funnest build was definitely small arms. Just so powerful, and it's always fucking great defeating encounters that should be off limits to your level. With how much I restart in RPGs, it's actually a huge surprise I even finished Fallout 2.

typical user

Arbiter

So what's the point?

Challenge. You are heavily disadvantaged but you can still beat the game. It's like playing Malkavian in VtM:Bloodlines, for first-time players it makes little sense but for seasoned veterans it is like playing entirely different game and enjoying it for all the small details.

DraQ

Arcane

So what's the point?
Simulationism is an end unto itself.
:obviously:
Also lulz.

If you have intelligence as a stat you pretty much have to design your game so that a character dumber than a sack of bricks will actually behave the part. Else your RPG elements actually make your game shittier.
And although intelligence is pretty bad stat to have in an RPG for a number of reasons, FOs did a pretty good job with it - although partly thanks to combat being pretty crap and rudimentary in terms of tactics.

typical user

Arbiter
combat being pretty crap and rudimentary in terms of tactics.

It's the weakness of turn-based RPGs - more combatants results in longer turns. But there is tactical element in FO combat. You can block the doors to avoid cross-fire, peek from corners forcing your enemies to waste their AP to get an angle or you have to prioritize targets. FO combat is great because it is fair, you only make it unfair when you pick OP perks - and that is also fine because you feel the progress, the game adapts by throwing visibly stronger guys at you like deathclaws, mercs with LSWs, energy weapons or Enclave with powered combat suits and plasma weaponry. I don't remember complaining about Fallout 1&2 combat only friendly AI who gets not so friendly if you hit them by accident but then again in Jagged Alliance 2 you can also antagonize entire towns if you graze civvies.

Arcanum does do a great job with a low-INT playthrough, it's hilarious and you can complete it without foreknowledge of the game.

I have a feeling the low-INT stuff was planned for New Vegas but never came to fruition. There's little bits of pieces of tard dialogue (namely, the fraud scientist at the REPCONN center) but that's just it- only bits and pieces.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom