Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 3: Van Buren (Spoilers!)

naossano

Cipher
Damn...
I would love to help you all for this wonderful project, but i don't think there is any way to do it without spoiling myself about the Van Buren plot.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Which plot, really? Black Isle had two very rough overviews of the plot, which I then refined into our draft take on the main quest based more on the MCA version where I tried to distill a satisfying and new kind of Fallout narrative with interesting themes that connect across the game, and trying to remove conflicts and elements that would eventually evolve into New Vegas.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Damn...
I would love to help you all for this wonderful project, but i don't think there is any way to do it without spoiling myself about the Van Buren plot.

Not much of a point in not looking at it. Whether it's our project or if someone started their own, it would never be a 100% adaptation. The docs are not complete and do contain contradictory information (There's two separate docs for two different ideas of one particular location.) kind of like how if you read a movie script, you'll find there are things that were different when it was actually filmed.

Vaarna_Aarne

Well the docs aren't really even a movie script, they're more like an early pitch or early treatment.

And even besides the problems mentioned, they still have the major problem that they predate New Vegas.

naossano

Cipher
I mostly mean the plot of your game.
I know the basics of Black Isle's Fallout 3.
I know that you must fill the gap and modify some stuff to not copy paste Vegas. (for instance, the hanged man shouldn't be too similar than the burned man)

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
There are many reasons I picked RPG Maker MV over other engines but the main one is that those simple RPGs are easy to sell (if they're good and not half-ass attempts).
Other reasons are because it's open source, has been around since 1992, is easy to get into as a developer, games are sold without royalty fees, and a big community.

The lastest version, MV, was released like a week ago so I'm still in the learning phase. I have some rough game system ideas I would like to see and just started working on a setting (it will be something new, different yet familiar).

Hah, I used to be involved in the RPG Maker scene. Never published anything though.

Any details about the ideas you want to share?

hexer

Hah, I used to be involved in the RPG Maker scene. Never published anything though.

Any details about the ideas you want to share?

It's too early, I'm still doing research on many topics. I tried to deconstruct RPG video games genre and create something fresh while maintaining the core RPG elements. So that I don't alienate gamers. I'm very studious about this game and everything is well thought out. I want to use it as a framework for all my future commercial RPGs.

P.S. Something cute I found while watching RPG Maker tutorial videos

hexer

It will happen, but we will be a bit older by then ... or maybe InXile will beat us to it!

P.S. Our mappers are diligently still working on the game

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Just give us english translation of Olympus 2077 and Fallout: Nevada to lesser the pain...

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Disclaimer: I did attempt to be part of this project but I overestimated how much I'd be able to work on it based off personal skill and also general motivation, so I kinda overpromised what I'd be able to contribute. As such, take my words with a grain of salt.

That being said, if this were to be done again, I think starting off with a core team of someone in charge of Programming, Art, Design and Production as well as a general director would be more helpful. That way you do have people who know what they're doing touching the game and you don't have a sudden influx of "team members" coming in trying to help and creating a clusterfuck of "Who is doing what?". I'd also say changing engines, Van Buren was supposed to be full 3d so Unreal Engine 4 or Unity 5 (UE4 is 100% free so that'd be the better option) would be good. Granted, you would have to do a lot more coding.

EDIT: If people do want to take another shot, I have the ability to create private github repos so google drive doesn't have to be used for version control.

naossano

Cipher
Well, i have absolutly no doubt the community would be interested by your ressources but i guess the dev team is whom you should ask first.

Rake

Arcane
Van Buren was supposed to be full 3d so Unreal Engine 4 or Unity 5 (UE4 is 100% free so that'd be the better option) would be good.
Fuck that. There is no reason to copy even Black Isle's terrible decisions.

If so, i think i saw somewhere that VB was supposed to have RTwP combat as well as TB. :troll:

Vaarna_Aarne

Opinion: I think 3D in isometric games is waaaaay over-rated. It was a big fad in the early 2000s because modern meant 3D then, so even Codex embraced a "pseudo-iso 3D ftw" mentality as a shield against the hordes of Diablolike h&S and FPPARPGs. I don't know a single 3D pseudo iso game that would't be better with 2D.
Silent Storm. You shouldn't spout blatant lies that are simply untrue.

Ninjerk

Arcane
What features would you suggest would make it an RPG?
zoomin.gif

naossano

Cipher
Doesn't 3D tend to result in significant time and money savings?

I would most likely second that. Dunno if all 2D games use sprites, but 3D seems to definitely have a much easier workflow than 2D. You can adjust much more easily your creations.
On the other hand, it is much harder to make isometric 3D as beautiful as isometric 2D, especially when you have to take various gaming rig into account.

That, and camera control sucking hard. I can't believe none of the current iso 3D game developpers can't use something as basing as the camera rotating when you bring the mouse to the corners of the screen, like they did in Myth 2. No, they have to force you to use additionnal buttons to do something that shouldn't even be a task on itself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom