Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 3's Pitt and Point Lookout - Best Part of the Game?

Are Point Lookout and The Pitt better than the main game?

• Point Lookout is better than FO3.

Votes: 16 27.1%
  • The Pitt is better than FO3.

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • Both DLCs are better than FO3.

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • Nothing about FO3 is decent, asshole.

Votes: 25 42.4%
  • Not even New Vegas is good, whole genre sucks. Fuck off.

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters

Darkzone

Arcane
We have been avenged, brothers
Insults like these could only be washed away with blood. We will be finally avenged only when Shittesda would go broke, defunct, it's employees begging on the street and Todd going back to male prostitution.
Under the hippy hood there is a concealed rightious anger that demands eye for an eye, blood drop for drop and flesh pound for pound. Let the anger flow through you and come to the dark side. Because this is the attitude that puts you on the square, on the level to swear right before the devil.
You are about enter a another dimension .. a dimension of the dark mind. This is a journey to the dark lands of blood. Your next stop... The Dark Zone.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
There's a (supposed) glitch in Anchorage that makes the power armor not require training and not take any damage, but it was left in I believe because Bethesda couldn't patch the DLCs in Xbox Live's system? Or something? It's ridiculous. I uncheck the Anchorage DLC box, as should everyone.
Thing is, Anchorage run is not metagaming like Navarro run in F2 or Vendigroth run in Arcanum. As soon as you leave the vault you get a quest marker leading you right to the base with the simulation, and it's possible to do right from the start. Because of LEVEL SCALING it's not hard at all to get there and finish it at any of the game's difficulties. There's no point in not using the stealth suit, it allows you to ignore most of the enemies and go anywhere you want.

Alphons

Cipher
The thing I remember about Point Lookout is how ridiculously overpowered those rednecks were. Accurate as fucking Simo Häyhä, heavy hitting and bullet spongy. One of the most toughest enemies in the entire Fagout 3, no doubt. Who would think that the inbred and mutated southern Americans would be way more dangerous than Enclave or supermuties?

latest

Pretty fun story actually.
One of major complaints (aside from story, Little Lamplight, butchering of lore, etc) was the difficulty. You could sneeze at a raider and his head would explode.

Guys at Bethesda thought a bit and came up with 2 solutions that they implemented in 2 DLCs.
One was bullet sponges- implemented in Broken Steel. Special variants of common enemies spawn after you reach DLC levels- 20+.
How spongy are they? (All data from Fallout Wiki):
Ghoul HP: 25
Ghoul Reaver HP: 1100

Radscorpion: 150
Albino Radscorpion: 1500

Supermutant: 100
Supermutant Overlord: 1250

Second option was increasing their damage. But what happens when player gets their hands on those powerful toys?
So some genius implemented in Point Lookout extra special damage that ignores completely your armour rating and is applied per bullet hit.
And then another genius added a double barrel shotgun, that shoots 14 pellets per shot (each pellet has this effect applied).

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Second option was increasing their damage. But what happens when player gets their hands on those powerful toys?
So some genius implemented in Point Lookout extra special damage that ignores completely your armour rating and is applied per bullet hit.
And then another genius added a double barrel shotgun, that shoots 14 pellets per shot (each pellet has this effect applied).
Yeah, I know: 35 damage bonus to every projectile. Why? Because inbred superpowers.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
One was bullet sponges- implemented in Broken Steel. Special variants of common enemies spawn after you reach DLC levels- 20+.
If you use stealth suit from the Anchorage and ignore most of the fights, you can delay your leveling and never see any of those fuckers until much later. Level scaling, how can we live without it?

THE GAME THAT PUNISHES YOU FOR LEVELING UP AND MAKES YOU WANT NOT TO LEVEL UP

Fagout 3, everyone

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Broken Steel's gist is kinda interesting from a world building perspective, to actually see things unfold in DC after the main quest has ended.
On Paper.
At the end, it was completely half-assed, since the Enclave presence in their cute little outposts were still all over DC, main quest was even more Brotherhood of Steel cock sucking with you infiltraing a whole Enclave base shooting Enclave left and right with a Tesla cannon, and and and. Dungeons were nice though, and it came with some neat little random encounters. Pretty much mandatory for not getting brain cancer when you're at the end of the original Fallout 3 MQ.

Has anyone done a Tale of Two Wastelands run with 3 and NV?

Three of four times. :positive:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Supermutant: 100
Supermutant Overlord: 1250.

This is especially annoying because they impact the main game as well. I'm trying to rush the main quest to see if Broken Steel is worth a damn and because I'm level 21 or something from the DLCs I've got Mutant Overlords everywhere even in early main quests. Even with almost every hit being a crit using the Backwater Rifle they still take a dozen shots or more.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
It should be trivial to make a mod that slows down XP gain, and if you're still bothering to play Fallout 3 in 2020, you should do yourself the favor and not subject yourself to the HP bloat of later levels.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
There's a (supposed) glitch in Anchorage that makes the power armor not require training and not take any damage, but it was left in I believe because Bethesda couldn't patch the DLCs in Xbox Live's system? Or something? It's ridiculous. I uncheck the Anchorage DLC box, as should everyone.
I remember that. Didn't seem all that helpful from the brief time I used it, but why would you want to make Fallout 3 harder?

Butter

Arcane
Patron
The Winterized Power Armor from O:A has the best DR of any armor in the game and never needs to be repaired. There's no reason to ever change it for something else unless you want to stealth.

d1r

Patron
Has anyone done a Tale of Two Wastelands run with 3 and NV?

Three of four times. :positive:

Cool. Any adjustments you would recommend? I’ve got it set up and working. Between the two games being combined I’m going to set that base XP payout down to about 50%. I just played New Vegas with the Sawyer Ultimate and that was a lot of fun.

Yeah, halving the XP is definitely needed. There was also a mod called Difficult Journey which gave you penalities (+stealing your items and putting them into a container near a main quest location) according to your level when traveling to the Mojave world space, but I don't know if the mod is still available for the new versions of TTW. Unfound Loot is pretty good too, if you're going with the realism. Other than that, there is also a mod out there which fixes the shitty dialogues, but as far as I know, it's not compatible with TTW3.2.

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
While discussing about TTW there's two thing that you must know.

Using Mod Organizer 2 and know how to use FNVEdit is almost mandatory, so if there anything wrong you can fix it and if necessary make a compability patch yourself.

d1r

Patron
While discussing about TTW there's two thing that you must know.

Using Mod Organizer 2 and know how to use FNVEdit is almost mandatory, so if there anything wrong you can fix it yourself.

Never really saw the need for MO2, tbh. FOMM and Beyond Compare are the only tools I have ever used for managing mods in Fallout games. And FNVEdit might only become mandatory if he goes for a bigger mod setup.

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
Never really saw the need for MO2, tbh. FOMM and Beyond Compare are the only tools I have ever used for managing mods in Fallout games. And FNVEdit might only become mandatory if he goes for a bigger mod setup.

It's the recommended tool by TTW team, it's much more easier and can handle mod file without ever that file touching vanila installation. saving yourself from headache if your fuck up your installation.

But i think it's fine if you can manage using FOMM if installing the mod at max 20-30 range and not more than that.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Broken Steel is complete trash. Just as poorly written and designed as the main quest, and also much more linear and filled with HP bloated enemies. Like literally a hundred Enclave in every mission, all of them with stupidly high HP. Once you hit level 20 that dumb shit is everywhere, but at least you're not usually fighting a hundred of them.

If you're as dumb as me and replay this game at some point I would not install Broken Steel at all, and get as much XP from The Pitt and Point Lookout as you can. Rushing the main quest and Broken Steel made it even more clear to me that Point Lookout is a writing improvement, as relative as it is.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Gameplay and story-wise I don't remember them. (which means I remember them as trash).
But I somehow remember "The Pit" from the architectural point of view. Climbing the structure up an up, felt at that time as somewhat rewarding and appreciating the open world approach and uniqueness of this location. Quite different to the rest of the experiece of this abomination of Fallout franchise.

It wouldn't touch me now, I guess (haven't played it since) but in 2007(8), it satisfied the part of my soul that, at that time, waited for Morrowind-like experience (I guess?) from Bethesda after Oblivion failure.

It is all pink glassess now, and I am not even sure if the large construction I remember is from "The Pit" TBH (LOL) :lol:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It wouldn't touch me now, I guess (haven't played it since) but in 2007(8), it satisfied the part of my soul that, at that time, waited for Morrowind-like experience (I guess?) from Bethesda after Oblivion failure.

Nowhere close to Morrowind, but I do feel Bethesda improved after FO3. Skyrim and FO4 are better in ways that make them more palatable (to me, anyway). Just mentioning it in case if you never played them.

Stella Brando

Arcane
The Pitt had a cool industrial vibe, with goggles and leather wearing-lackeys bathed in the glow of molten steel and glowing sparks. It was like steam-punk, but with year 2000 level technology.

The thing I remember about Point Lookout is how ridiculously overpowered those rednecks were. Accurate as fucking Simo Häyhä, heavy hitting and bullet spongy. One of the most toughest enemies in the entire Fagout 3, no doubt. Who would think that the inbred and mutated southern Americans would be way more dangerous than Enclave or supermuties.

latest
OIP.ZN-GmuuMo0ewN8hjzRHwzQHaDt
RichEvans2.png
OIP.9LSaK60BdbYymG9tSx21OAHaD4

Last edited:

Lemming42

Arcane
I don't have Point Fuckout but I played The Shitt during my Fo3 playthrough a few months ago and it definitely seemed a lot more impressive on release in 2009 or whenever. Very boring stuff, feels like something that'd be mildly impressive as a fanmade mod.

For some reason, the arena segment stuck in my mind a lot more, and I remembered intense and long fights with the buzzsaw thing. I was really shocked to find that the entire arena consists of three guys who all have guns and can all be headshotted within two seconds of the fight starting. I actually have false memories of big multi-person melee battles. What the fuck. I think, like a few things in Fallout 3, it was a nice concept that was totally and utterly botched in execution, but sticks in the mind and gradually evolves into something a bit more impressive in your mind the longer you go without actually replaying it.

Mothershit Gayta deserves a real shoutout for being shit - the escape from the cell is quite fun in a pulpy adventure way and then the first couple alien guns you get are fun simply because of their ridiculous power, but then it devolves into copypaste corridors with shitty robots. You can feel that they had two "cool" ideas (the cell escape and the final battle against the enemy ship) and legitimately had no idea how the fuck to pad that out into a DLC that they could charge people money for, so in classic Bethesda style they just went for the most low effort and tedious way to fill out the middle bit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom