Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Day -1 impressions

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
One of the worst games i played in a while.

It has nothing good to talk about

-Mind numbing quests (The usual go kill and fetch me some motherfucking tatos)
-Horrible writting (kinda expected but holy shit ,it got worse since Fallout 3,how can you achive such a feat?)
-Factions are useless and boring (1-2 quests and you are most important person in the faction,fucking brilliant)
-The game is small and empty as fuck (I discovered 90% of the map and i think 90% of the locations are packed with 20-30 enemies)even fucking Fallout 3 had settlements like the Oasis,Cannibal town,Tenpenny tower.This game has none,every fucking building is pouring with mutants,ghouls and raiders equiped with fatman,launchers and unlimited supply of fucking grenades.

The only decent thing about this game is the gameplay,the gun fighting is fluid and you can actually hit someone without using vats every time,but this is not enough to save this pathetic pile of garbage.
This is the retarded brother of Borderlands where you get to pew,pew hordes of enemies and getz lotz of lootz.:lol:

It has to be one of the worst games i played this year:killit:

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
When i think about it, it is actually great point.

Game feels like far cry. Get some stupid fetch quest, follow idiotic plot. Do that and you will be able to use those guns.

Imo game would be better if they would remove story, plot and most of fetch quest and they would focus on exploration/base building game where you create settlements and wage war in first person.

Perkel

Arcane
Also companion app to phone is great. I use it constantly as minimap. I expected it to be laggy as fuck but it works 1:1

I feel like Bethesda just trolled me. What is this shit?

You mean it is good ? (because i assume you thought it will be shit)

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
Also companion app to phone is great. I use it constantly as minimap. I expected it to be laggy as fuck but it works 1:1
I have this open on my second monitor http://www.fallout4map.com/ usually. Also, a note on this ...

- One stray bullet can completely change faction relation to you from friendly to annihilation.
I set an entire faction hostile just by walking beyond some invisible line before the NPC got through his recorded line. Thankfully, I had an autosave from the scene transition (related to Covenant quest if anyone is wondering).

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Welp. I went in to this knowing I probably wouldn't like the character system. I sucked that up and prepared myself to not like it. However, I wasn't prepared to not like it as much as I did. It just seems to take all the fun out of level ups. It's like they took Skyrim's system, which was also dull, and put pictures on it. Then they tied it to the attribute system. Honestly, it's not the fact it looks different that seems to kill it, it's the system itself that seems bland and broken. I don't really feel like I'm building toward anything like I did in all the previous Fallout games.

And to the guy on that other thread, yeah.. You can have a 1 Charisma and a super high speech to make up for it. What the heck is wrong with that? You can still learn to do things without having the raw ability to do it naturally. That's one of the reasons why the original SPECIAL system was so freaking awesome.

Customizing your character appearance is no where near as good as Skyrim. Not because of the amount of options, because there are way, way more. It's because the interface for it sucks. The slider system worked a lot better in Skyrim than the draggy mouse thing with the mouse wheel in Fallout 4. You have to click on something, adjust it, back out of that, then click on something else and repeat. That's a heck of a lot more time consuming than up/down arrow, left/right arrow, up/down arrow, repeat. I could tailor a face in Skyrim in three to five minutes. It took me about a half an hour in Fallout 4 and I really just gave up at that point.

I also knew that Bethesda probably wouldn't get the lore right. After all, they had everything West Coast on the East Coast in Fallout 3, even though it was silly to do so. In fact, the one thing they added to the lore in Fallout 3 was pretty silly. So, RobCo, before the bombs fell, could only make big, hulking vacuum tube robots. However, after the end of the world, when resources are scarce, some guys managed to make replicants? That was pretty goofy. So, let's make a whole game about it! Eh? Fine.

Oh, cryogenic vault? Really? ... Fine.

I primarily bought Fallout 4 for the city building stuff. I actually liked Real Time Settler for Fallout 3/NV as well as Wasteland Defense. I thought building cities in a post nuclear setting(which may or may not actually be Fallout) would be fun. I still haven't done any of that mainly because the game is just dull. The controls feel janky to me as well, even in scavenging. I'm trying to play a melee character, but it seems like spinning and flailing works just fine. I haven't tried VATS yet, but I'm guessing melee still can't do aimed shots.

All in all, I went in to Fallout 4 almost like I went in to Fallout 3. I wasn't expecting much. I was expecting things that would tick me off. I beat Fallout 3. I've played Fallout 4 maybe an hour and a half and don't have much desire to fire it up again.

When Fallout 4 was announced, I figured I'd wait for Fallout: New Vegas 2. However, after my initial impressions of Fallout 4, I'm not even sure I'd want to see a New Vegas 2.

EDIT: What's up, Killzig!

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
You're correct. Melee can't target specific body parts in VATS. Sup Spleen! WRT The Institute. I am kind of half/half on this lore addition. MIT has always survived on research for gov't/military applications so that they'd have their own bunker, continue their own research, and be held outside of whatever KOOKY experiments normal bunkers/vaults were exposed to doesn't grate on me as much. I have a lot more trouble believing something like that could or would exist in this universe totally independent of the Enclave. I haven't reached the Institute's stronghold yet, so there's probably a log/terminal entry somewhere that fills in this history. Maybe.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
1f759989_Jerry-Seinfeld-Leaving1.gif

now we only need vault dweller to buy fallout 4 and share his opinion for the circle to be complete

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Everyone is a newfag compared to St. Proverbius... none of you can call him out!

You're correct. Melee can't target specific body parts in VATS. Sup Spleen!

They say it's an engine limitation, then again modders found some creative ways to implement it anyway...my guess is that it's really an attempt at balancing (but even then unarmed/melee is always superior - at 70 unarmed you could go Fist of the North Star and hit a deathclaw on his pressure points and leave him on the ground for 30 seconds).

a cut of domestic sheep prime

OT: That reminds me... Anyone want to spoil me as to whether or not your spouse comes back to life? I just want to know how hard I should laugh at the people who spend forever customizing their spouse's face, only to have them murdered 10 minutes later.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
So far, it's a poor man's Far Cry 3 with a post apocalypse aesthetic and a base management system tacked on. The UI is aggressively bad, the NPC's are dull and boring, I couldn't care less about finding my baby gay son or avenging my dead gay wife, and I don't really have much incentive to do anything but just wander around killing things.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

My first impressions:

Graphics are dated. Combat is easy. The usual bad dialog, broken animations, a dumbed down stat system. The only draw for me was the town minigame, but again, this is broken - objects floating in the air etc. Story is pretty boring so far. Predicable, lame characters. Basically, it all still sucks and I'm not sure how worth it it is to play it, unless you're like me and want to see the train wreck - though even that can only amuse for so long - or unless you were really into FO3 and have low standards to begin with.

The face builder was a lot easier to use than their previous games though and the power armor looks much better - though i think that this is because the whole reason it looked so bad before was because bethesda wanted to adapt power armor into oblivion's armor system, which could only suck, instead of making it an actual exoskeleton the player has to get in. 50s elements look decent and it was cool to see the things before and after the bombs fell. These are probably the only kind things I can say at this point though.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I was angered by their removal of the skill system at first, but now I'm more puzzled by it than anything else. You'd think they were just going for a "You can now do aaaaaaanything" approach with weaponry, but instead they've just re-designed the perks to be majorly focused towards weapon damage buffing. So it's a two-pronged issue where the skills haven't truly been removed, just amalgamated into the perk system, and now a majority of the perks aren't quirky or interesting little modifiers to the game, just boring "+20% damage to pistols/rifles/whatever" modifiers.

Zeronet

Learned
I was angered by their removal of the skill system at first, but now I'm more puzzled by it than anything else. You'd think they were just going for a "You can now do aaaaaaanything" approach with weaponry, but instead they've just re-designed the perks to be majorly focused towards weapon damage buffing. So it's a two-pronged issue where the skills haven't truly been removed, just amalgamated into the perk system, and now a majority of the perks aren't quirky or interesting little modifiers to the game, just boring "+20% damage to pistols/rifles/whatever" modifiers.

It seriously undermines dialogue options based on your characters aptitudes and other quests that relied on you taking certain skills in order to prove you were proficient at dealing with a problem, like repairing stuff.

Mozg

Arcane
It's pretty funny that Bethesda is taking their first popular heat in forever because... they can't keep up with slick modern production values and marketing.

OTOH it's weird that they haven't done their celebrity voice actor thing. I thought Max von Sydow did a good job in Skyrim - I have to assume he either got a better level of direction than most or was canny enough to "direct" himself because the VA in that game was a complete disaster.

Veelq

Augur
I had a talk with my friend about Fallout 4, he bought the game, i only watched some lets plays from the begining of the game. One thing he said to me was that when he fought the first deathclaw his character didnt even react to it when it jumped out of the tunnel. No suprise, no scream, nothing. It felt weird and i then understood why making voiced protag was a bad idea. Voiced protag is a dev's version of him. You as a player only experience what that character reactions are, maybe tweak them a bit but you are an observer most of the time. And Bethesda's games were always about YOU being the main character, not an observer. You would be the one who is happy when something nice happens in the game, and you would be the one who is suprised and maybe scream when that first deathclaw appears. You - the player, not your character. Voice just doesnt work in this type of game, and im not even talking about mods.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom