Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

fallout 4 overhaul mods?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I was thinking of replaying fallout 4,
Don't do it.

Nothing except a completely new world (think Enderal/Nehrim) could change how uninteresting everything in Fallout 4 is.
I tried once vanilla and once modded to hell and back and there is just nothing there to keep the interest up past the first 12 hours or so.

I really think F4's gameplay is actually better than F3 and New Vegas, (less terrible RPG, more semi-competent action game) but that Theme Park world is just soulless.
It's rare that you can genuinely say a game would have a more interesting and coherent world if everything was procedurally generated. Even bad procgen allows you to imagine a coherent world and connecting the dots. F4's world was created to destroy all illusion of connected parts.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
I've basically finished my playthrough of fallout 4 (didn't finish, but played enough of it) with the horizon mod.
Was pretty alright though I didn't quite like how specials weren't changed much, if at all, 1% vats accuracy increase per perception point? Lol?
I might try and replay it again some other time when that fallout 4 EE will get released, it's based upon horizon but makes more changes ontop of it.
Yeah it's one of the problems of Horizon, it doesn't do enough to change up the SPECIAL meta IMO

deama

Prophet
I was thinking of replaying fallout 4,
Don't do it.

Nothing except a completely new world (think Enderal/Nehrim) could change how uninteresting everything in Fallout 4 is.
I tried once vanilla and once modded to hell and back and there is just nothing there to keep the interest up past the first 12 hours or so.

I really think F4's gameplay is actually better than F3 and New Vegas, (less terrible RPG, more semi-competent action game) but that Theme Park world is just soulless.
It's rare that you can genuinely say a game would have a more interesting and coherent world if everything was procedurally generated. Even bad procgen allows you to imagine a coherent world and connecting the dots. F4's world was created to destroy all illusion of connected parts.
Yeah, the new gen bethesda games don't have as much soul as their previous games, imo I think oblivion had the most "soul" to it as the quests were very entertaining, and the voice acting was pretty good even though they had like 12 voice actors. Skyrim has been the worst for me, the quests are just meh at best, and the voice acting is very boring and unemotional. Fallout 4 still has this problem, but it's not as bad, maybe with the newer games they'll get back around to it.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, the new gen bethesda games don't have as much soul as their previous games, imo I think oblivion had the most "soul" to it as the quests were very entertaining, and the voice acting was pretty good even though they had like 12 voice actors. Skyrim has been the worst for me, the quests are just meh at best, and the voice acting is very boring and unemotional. Fallout 4 still has this problem, but it's not as bad, maybe with the newer games they'll get back around to it.

I'm starting to see this "Oblivion was better" stuff more and more lately, and you're all batshit. Oblivion is their nadir by a fucking mile, a bottomless pit of shit they have slightly recovered from.

Butter

Arcane
Patron

I'm starting to see this "Oblivion was better" stuff more and more lately, and you're all batshit. Oblivion is their nadir by a fucking mile, a bottomless pit of shit they have slightly recovered from.
I can understand if you repressed it, but Oblivion with guns was a real game. They released it and everything.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

It's pure nostalgia.

For many people, especially console players, Oblivion was kind of the first RPG of its type.

Makes it easy to overlook its glaring issues.

I mostly just hate it because it was such a gigantic loss of quality of, well, absolutely everything, in contrast to Morrowind.
If I had not played Morrowind before, I might view Oblivion in a much more lenient way.

Last edited:

Gargaune

Magister
Are there any worthwhile total convertions?
None that I'm aware of yet. Fallout 4 might get its own Enderal with Fallout Cascadia at some point in the future... eventually... maybe...

If it does ever see the light of day, it may be interesting, they seem to be serious about it. Promising a skills system, the RPG affordances of silent protagonist dialogue, updated UI and plenty of content. Unfortunately, much like Enderal, Cascadia devs say it'll use its own masters so it'll be incompatible with your existing modded install, you'll have to start over and see what works.

eXalted

Arcane
Too bad FROST is no longer updated. Are there any successors?

Just play The Frontier for New Vegas. Heard that it's top quality.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
I was thinking of replaying fallout 4, but don't wanna play through the same stuff again, so are there any good fallout 4 overhaul mods? Something that drastically changes the game? Something like what enderal for skyrim was, or nehrim for oblivion.
Fallout 4 Enhanced Edition by Augspeed is not too far out from a 1.2 release and will probably turn FO4 into a somewhat decent game.

It will be compatible with Wabbajack which means you'll be able to install the entire thing by pressing one button.

That's the one I would recommend waiting for. One of the best features that F4EE 1.2 will include is the (optional) complete removal of the Shaun plot from the main character's story, meaning you can roleplay as any character you like.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/39996

https://www.youtube.com/user/DarkraiSpeed

Currently there are no other good overhauls that I would recommend unless you are a veteran modder and thus able to make your own customized modlist.

So, have you played it recently, the enhanced edition overhaul ? I'd like to retry Fallout 4 (I have fine momeories of the exploration part) but don't want spending hours choosing mods an installing them.

Last edited:

Ravielsk

Magister
Personally I recommend GRIM and Whispering Hills. They are both horror overhauls that actually make this supposed "post-apocalyptic" setting actually post-apocalyptic. They also do a lot for the settlement mechanic as having a safe haven to hide from the Silent Hill monsters is a useful feature instead of a barely supplementary mechanic.

They also have their own stories although they are not much better than Vanilla FO4. They are pretty much just a copy paste of Silent Hill/Blairwitch and are not even trying to hide it(I am still unsure if this is intentional or if the modders themselves are so inept they dont notice).

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
I spend many hours in F4 but never actually finished it, maybe i will get back sometime. For now sim settlements is very nice but autistic at same time, for how long you could pretend that you are vault dweller when world around is just bland and offers just walking simulation.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
I liked exploring the commonwealth with the episodic radioactive storms. I found some locations were neat. But yes, I rapidly lost interest in the main quest, and the factions thing. In those areas, nothing ever really matters. The usual Bethesda.

a single overhaul mods won't cut it for this crap. you need about 75-100 mods to completely change it into something enjoyable. you can turn it into a bearable survival with barebone base building, but is it worth it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom