Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Release Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
The shitstorm would be worth it.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
If they did switch to their own exclusive hosting service, they'd probably charge a small subscription fee. And make a fortune in the process.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
If they did switch to their own exclusive hosting service, they'd probably charge a small subscription fee. And make a fortune in the process.

I dunno.. My theory is paid mods makes a return but is heavily curated. No more horse dicks for 900 dollars.
I am sure there are already modders who have been contacted and will start releasing their shit exclusively on the Beth Store.

Or they will just charge console fags cause why not. Those Sheeple will buy anything.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
They could also tame the kink in the process.
25922-2-1248085824.jpg

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Making mods subscriber-only might actually work on PC if they go the Diablo 3 route and keep certain parts of the mod on the server, so you'd need to be online to keep playing. If the CK is designed to accomodate that system, then there's not much that modders could do about it.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
(...) If the CK is designed to accomodate that system, then there's not much that modders could do about it.
There are unofficial programs capable of generating .esp and .esm plugins (actually they're mandatory for cleaning plugins created with the official tool out of bogus entries) and the CK can still be cracked.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Even if you pirate every mod - a paid mod environment will mean less collaboration / less public tools.

We are gonna be stuck in the stone age as each modder tries to out compete each other. This "Utopia World" where all modders hold hands and work together
to make mods so they can all benefit the environment and make moderates amount of money - exists only in a fanboys mind and that disillusion will lead to many shekels for Bethesda and a mod shop of bullshit armor / weapon packs.

[nospoiler] we are fucked [/nospoiler]

Jozoz

Prophet
Modding as it is now is basically a hobby for a lot of people, which in turn spawned a large community. Money being involved in stuff like this always makes it worse. YouTube was a hobby for most people years ago too and look how shit that got, when monetization of videos started becoming common.

There are unofficial programs capable of generating .esp and .esm plugins (actually they're mandatory for cleaning plugins created with the official tool out of bogus entries) and the CK can still be cracked.

Mm-hm, I remember when New Vegas was released a good chunk of the first mods were created without the CK because they were playing coy. Mods for being able to bottle water from an increased list of sources, an initial draft of a Repair mod, the usual texture shenanigans etc. The CK opens things up for a more casual user, but there are people who have been modding these games for a long time and they know their shit. They'll create good mods whether there's an official source or not.

Wait, is there going to be a black market for Fallout 4 mods? "Oh you like that faction mod? What if I told you this little baby could unlock its true potential?!"

"CBBE required, may cause conflicts with The New Republic of Dave Steve, Dogmeat is a Yao Guai and Immersive Pipboys."

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Even when Youtube videos are largely a modular concept with little dependency on others - you still get into pissing matches where people lie, cheat and DMCA claim to get ahead. Welcome to a free market. Where people will scratch and crawl through piss and shit to make a buck over someone else.

Apply that to a interconnected world - Where no mods would exist today without Script Extenders or FNIS Animation Pack or New Model Rigging, ENB Injection or physics overhauls (to name a few) or the MCM manager.. (for in game mod management).
Imagine if all those authors said "Fuck you bitch pay me".

Especially because mods rely so heavily on common dependencies. If every mod releases their own version of the script extender or their own animation patch - they will just shit all over each other.
Modding only works when the community agrees on a common standard that is available to everyone. If they are all forced to role their own dependency because everyone wants a piece of the dollar pie - almost all mods will conflict in some way.

"But IMMOWTAL.... Bethesda would know this ahead of time", I hear you saying.

Of course they do - they don't give a shit, they just want money.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
That's why you implement a flat subscription to "cover hosting fees" and don't pay the authors anything. Maybe even sell ad space to modders.

Zeriel

Arcane
Agreed, paying the people who produce the content is so passe. They are lucky to have the honor and the privilege of creating content for your game.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Agreed, paying the people who produce the content is so passe. They are lucky to have the honor and the privilege of creating content for your game.

They could still ask for volunatary donations as before. Buying ad space might even help you get more donations.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Generate an encrypted file whenever a new mod is uploaded to the database, automatically bundle it with the mod, and made the game require the presence of those files to run. It would mean making a major change to the way .esms and .esps are handled, but it wouldn't be impossible. It just depends on how much Bethesda expects to gain from being the sole provider of mods.

This wouldn't work. Your saying the author updates his mod - then a hash key is generated which is required to decrypt the mod the author uploaded?
That's the only thing that makes sense in what I'm reading but that is a trivially easy system to RE and upload to a torrent tracker.

No matter what you do.. at some point that asset has to be decrypted and put into memory (So the game can load it). There is a unsolvable problem for Bethesda going on here when your user base has control of the end point (Client)

That's why you implement a flat subscription to "cover hosting fees" and don't pay the authors anything. Maybe even sell ad space to modders.

The whole point was to incentivize mod makers - They aren't gonna do paid mods without the smoke screen of Supporting our Troops, Mod Makers, Idiots.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
No matter what you do.. at some point that asset has to be decrypted and put into memory (So the game can load it). There is a unsolvable problem for Bethesda going on here when your user base has control of the end point (Client)

Yeah, enforcing that on PC would require an always-online system for mods at the very least. I do believe it's feasible, but I'm not sure if Bethesda is willing to go to such great lengths. They might just say "any mod not provided directly through us is illegal and will put you at risk for being prosecuted" and see how many people they scare away with that.

The whole point was to incentivize mod makers - They aren't gonna do paid mods without the smoke screen of Supporting our Troops, Mod Makers, Idiots.

What if the whole point is to bring mods to consoles and curb piracy on PC?

Last edited:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Yeah, enforcing that on PC would require an always-online system for mods at the very least. I do believe it's feasible, but I'm not sure if Bethesda is willing to risk such great lengths. They might just say "any mod not provided directly through us is illegal and will put you at risk for prosecution" and see how many people they scare away with that.

What if the whole point is to bring mods to consoles and curb piracy on PC?

I have to imagine there will be a shit storm if consoles have to pay and PC doesn't.
I mean it makes the most sense.. tap a market that is inherently retarded - Hell even I'd try it, their PR is already in the toilet from the steam shit they pulled last year.

I just don't think they have the balls to do it.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Bleh, I want to play this game, but the 79.99 price and the fact that itsfucking bethesda doing a core game, so itll be shit is killing me. Maybe Avellone will get a job at bethesda and write some cool shit

Want a nice square kick to the crotch?
The game wasn't 79.99 CAD until recently. If you bought back in June / July it was only 69.99.

I'm sure you can get it cheaper off a key site if you trust it.

Lemming42

Arcane
ah fuck off, the game isn't released and we're all gonna be disappointed.

dont think for a second that its going to be even slightly passable

Both of these depend entirely on what you're expecting. If you expect anything with any depth when playing a Bethesda game then you only really have yourself to blame.

If you expect an open world sandbox with no substance and a horrifically bad story but a lot of locations to raid and things to collect, like Fo3 and Skyrim, then Fo4 will probably deliver in spades.

Zeriel

Arcane
im a depressed motherfucker and the only way to keep myself happy is buying new things

i literally bought the order 1886 two days ago

i dont even know why but it felt good

maybe i should just finish bloodborne, im only in old yarnham

Buy something material if you want to spend money, any sort of luxury will be more satisfying. And
torrent
Fallout 4 if you want to play it. For the love of god, why would you spend money on a singleplayer game with absolutely no multiplayer functionality having said you don't expect it to be good? I understand wanting to play it to waste time, but for the love of god, there's much better things to "waste" your money on.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
If gigantic penis mods are not available from loverslab day 1, this will be a disaster for the bethesda community. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom