Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Release Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

DeepOcean

Arcane
This isn't suprising. Must people here may be trolling and hating this game to hell, but will buy it, install and play it. Again, and again, and again...
Even despite it being a complete shit.
If you are the kind that can shut the brain off to not be offended by complete stupidity each 10 mins, Fallout 4 won't be any worse than other popamole and you may have fun playing murder hobo with lasers or play post apocalyptic lego but when I see Fallout getting the Bethesda treatment it is like someone stuck a knife on my 15 years old me when I played the originals for the first time, I imagined at that time how a Fallout 3 or 4 would be with the technology, instead we got this stupid shit. The popamole gameplay isn't a problem, if I had 100 good cRPGs I wouldn't give this shit the time of the day but seeing Bethesda with their pathetic launch party, those guys fucked gamming in the ass, they with the other publishers, I won't give them one cent.

Deleted member 7219

I'm too busy these days. I didn't even have time to play TW3 yet. Bought the game a week ago but could only play it for an hour. We're working on a large update for Nov, so I won't have a chance to play anything before the month is over. I wanted to review Skyrim a few years back but by the time I was done with it it was too late and pointless.

No fucking way. It will sell millions of copies in the first week and will be heralded as the best, most immersive Fallout game to-date - a game Fallout 1 should have been if Tim Cain wasn't a clueless hack.

You assume fans of Fallout 4 know there was a Fallout 1 to begin with. And there's no way in hell they'll know who Tim Cain is.

pippin

Don't underestimate game "journalists's" abilty to dogpile.
It took them less than a month to flip from OH GAWD DRAGON AGE 2 IS A MASTERPIECE OF THE CENTURY, WRITTEN BY GODS DELIERED BY DEMIGODS to "recycled environments and bad writing everywhere"

Back then people still trusted them, and while many people loved DA:I, there were different opinions as well.

Naveen

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath while prophesying. These things are herd behavior, you only need on big name saying "yes, it's an ok game, BUT" and with a bit of luck and Internet drama that may escalate into something much bigger. If then other journos see or feel its safe to jump on the bandwagon and talk about the real world for once, they probably will unless they have been seriously bribed or something.

For some reason I feel there will be some cracks in the edifice, don't know how big though.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
You assume fans of Fallout 4 know there was a Fallout 1 to begin with. And there's no way in hell they'll know who Tim Cain is.
That's what the gaming media is for - to educate people about one man's struggle to make the first Fallout game and how he tried hard to overcome technological limitations and bring his idea to the consoles.

Fairfax

Arcane
I hope they get metascore of 83.
That would be glorious, but it'll be closer to 93, really.
Depends on what they are criticised for. For all the (rightful) flak they receive, Bethesda has still shown quite capable at delivering a product that's relatively well-tuned to the demands of their audience. In those cases where they failed to do so, they have often tuned the feature. Usually that involved further dumbing-down, but at times it improved the gameplay (e.g. they did reduce the amount of level-scaling between Oblivion and Skyrim).
If, hypothetically speaking, they got wide-spread critique for shallow storytelling and bad dialogues, they might try to fix that. So it depends on how much dumbing-down the press and mainstream-audience will accept before being fed up with it.
Several games have been criticized for shallow storytelling and bad dialog, didn't do much. Hell, DA:I was a fucking offline MMO and it got multiple GOTY awards and high scores.
The improved gunplay will score more points than any other element in the game, not to mention the housing. Most peolpe, including journos, don't even finish all quests. All they care about in bethesda games is having a world to explore with "muh atmosphere", bunch of things to shoot, loot and feeling like the dovahkin with guns.

Lemming42

Arcane
I don't see how, after New Vegas, people won't be at least a little let down by Fo4's writing and lack of choice by comparison. Even the Fallout 3 fans who never played Fallout or Fallout 2 loved NV's story and amount of player agency over the main quest.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I wouldn't be so sure. It's been a lean year but FO4 is so lame it's in danger of hitting some kind of pain threshold where even game journos will refuse to give it high ratings or awards. Just look at it: there's no corner left uncut. The graphics is straight from 2008 with the same wooden animations to boot. The soundtrack is generic "epic" shit you'd expect to hear in a two-bit MMO. The story about long a lost son is worthy of a Brazilian sitcom. They removed skills and turned conversations into a retarded minigame.

People keep saying "you're gonna buy it anyway" - BUT WHY (c) if there's nothing even remotely good about it? When I'm undecided, I watch a bit of a letsplay and usually, even if don't find the game interesting enough, I still think "well, it would be nice to play it someday." Yesterday I watched 15 minutes of FO4 stream and I was like "uh-huh... ok, whatever."

Could it be a historic momen that may set a point to Bethesda downfall? A single failed project that will cripple their studio? A debacle of Dragon Age 2 scale, that set Biowhores on a path of inevitable stagnation and degeneration.

Don't delude yourselves into thinking it's going to flop. It will be an immense success and you know it.

That's something I'm very curious to find out as well. I don't expect them to flop, but I expect Fallout 4 to underperform. I've written about this about a year ago, when DAI was just out:

I strongly agree with this bit.
Simply put - the more "gay noob fags" we have today playing MMOs, the more (in absolute terms, not in percentage terms) audience for more serious games we'll have in ten years. I think it's exactly the widening of the market that allowed for things like digital delivery to appear (digital delivery didn't emerge to "deliver" us from the decline mind you, but to provide the mass audience with more convenient access to a mass product), which in turn made crowd-funding of niche games possible because it made them economically viable.
Another interesting phenomenon in which the games industry seems to be mirroring perfectly the movie industry is the arms race of AAA titles which at some point stops being profitable for the participants in the arms race. I very strongly encourage you to take a look at this interview given by Steven Spielberg and George Lucas in June 2013 Or the boiled down version here: George Lucas & Steven Spielberg: Studios Will Implode; VOD Is the Future .
It's the same process they are describing (AAA titles' budgets growing and investors becoming progressively risk-averse which leads to a drop in artistic quality of the products, as directors target the lowest common denominator in the audience) that we are calling "the decline" here, and the games industry seems to be slowly becoming aware of it - see "Why Paradox boss wants "more Goat Simulator, less Call of Duty"".

The AAA grade companies will have better technology, but as we are already seeing, although technology gets better and better, the momentum of technology improvement is slowing down and having slightly better graphics doesn't translate into sales numbers so large as those it used to translate to, back when games used to look a lot better from one year to the next. Some concrete evidence:
  1. 'Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare' US Retail Sales Reportedly Less Than 'Ghosts'
  2. EA blames transition to new consoles for lacklustre sales of Battlefield 4, not quality issues
  3. Ubisoft Stock Plummets After Botched 'Assassin's Creed: Unity' Launch
  4. Tomb Raider has sold 3.4 million copies, failed to hit expectations
  5. More Evidence Activision’s Destiny Sales are Missing Expectations
  6. Will 'The Elder Scrolls Online' Have The Last Laugh With Its Subscription Fee?

tormund

Arcane
It will be exactly the same as it was with Skyrim. Mostly 9/10, 10/10 scores, followed by articles detailing actual issues and flaws. I can just imagine for example one site giving it a perfect score, with reviewer claiming how the game is a bold and fresh step forward for the franchise (or something in that vein), and then week or two later that same site will publish large article (maybe by same author) detailing various issues and flaws game has (and that were somehow glossed over when they needed actual score that would go to Metacritic).

Sankarihauta

Prospernaut
guys. what if your ability to choose what your character says is unimportant because the NPC's dialog is not the text you get too choose anyway. just saying.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
I don't see how, after New Vegas, people won't be at least a little let down by Fo4's writing and lack of choice by comparison. Even the Fallout 3 fans who never played Fallout or Fallout 2 loved NV's story and amount of player agency over the main quest.
Simple. FNVs story wasn't that appealing to me. No character background. So this Courier never grew onto me. The revenge story that's been done a million times. What made it worse of all revenge stories is surviving a bullet to the head without any kind of brain damage. No believable story as to why me as the protagonist should seek revenge on some checked suit guy who took the platinum chip. Risking my life again to recover some platinum chip? No thanks. Last time I was delivering it and I nearly died, what are the odds it won't happen trying to go all Rambo to get it back? Tedious.

The FNV world just didn't feel like a post-apocalypse. It looked more like a western shooter game. The land got very boring, and even more when they reduced the map. Invisible barriers made it even worse. Plus I wasn't interested in the war between NCR and Legion (both factions I couldn't stand at all. Actually the only Faction I even cared for was Great Khans). At least in Fallout 3 the war is linked between you and your father and had a purpose. FNV's story was all about recovering a chip and bringing it to the big (screen) man.

On Topic: Glad Fallout 4 has nothing to do with Obsidian.
:M

Lemming42

Arcane
I know, but for all the people harping about Fallout 3's EMOTIONAL ENGAGEMENT when your dad blows himself up there were plenty more who appreciated NVs factions and story.

Sankarihauta

Prospernaut
It's a darkart people practice to say the worse game is better somehow. I think they do it as a challenge and because they are bored. That's how I know Fallout 4 is better than New Vegas, Fallout 3 is better than New Vegas, and the Fallout 1 demo was better than the first two fallout games combined.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom