Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Release Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Zeriel

Arcane
So many features to criticize and codexers are still batching about graphics... This is truly some Pathetic gaf shit right here.

One thing that looks, from the videos, to be night and day better than the previous games is the shooting, which in an action open world game is essential to get right.

The game will be an uterly Mediocre experience, but so have more or less every 3d Fallout game, new Vegas included.

Dunno why people expected this to be any different.

I'm going to address this because it bothers me seeing it brought up so often. The reason people criticize games like Fallout 4 for their graphics is that AAA games are supposed to be all about production values. Gameplay complexity, variety, any sense of uniqueness, the devil's bargain is that for all that money and all the things sacrificed on the altar of mainstream appeal, you should at least get in return a minimum of graphical glitz. When AAA games that have intentionally bland gameplay also have terrible graphics, the question arises: what the ever loving fuck are they doing with the money?

Cynical gamers have given up on expecting anything but shiny visuals from modern AAA productions, so it's especially dispiriting when they can't even get that one thing done right.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
So many features to criticize and codexers are still batching about graphics... This is truly some Pathetic gaf shit right here.

That's because graphics are the only thing complete morans can actually discuss (instead of actual game mechanics).

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I'm going to address this because it bothers me seeing it brought up so often. The reason people criticize games like Fallout 4 for their graphics is that AAA games are supposed to be all about production values. Gameplay complexity, variety, any sense of uniqueness, the devil's bargain is that for all that money and all the things sacrificed on the altar of mainstream appeal, you should at least get in return a minimum of graphical glitz. When AAA games that have intentionally bland gameplay also have terrible graphics, the question arises: what the ever loving fuck are they doing with the money?

Cynical gamers have given up on expecting anything but shiny visuals from modern AAA productions, so it's especially dispiriting when they can't even get that one thing done right.

AAA can have average graphics and still launch to general acclaim, look at any blizzard release, or many of the Japanese releases, or even the GTA games.

Then comes Bethesda, and codexers become all irrational about the graphics, even tho none of their modern rpg releases have had good graphics, even the much acclaimed morrowind looked behind the times at release.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
AAA can have average graphics and still launch to general acclaim, look at any blizzard release, or many of the Japanese releases, or even the GTA games.

Then comes Bethesda, and codexers become all irrational about the graphics, even tho none of their modern rpg releases have had good graphics, even the much acclaimed morrowind looked behind the times at release.
Except it looks like arse and runs like arse too which is an achievement.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"Then comes Bethesda"? Have you already forgotten the stupid Witcher 3 "DowngradeGate"

Zeriel

Arcane
"Then comes Bethesda"? Have you already forgotten the stupid Witcher 3 "DowngradeGate"

They deserve the heapings of outrage from that one. You shouldn't release marketing videos of "GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE" a week before a game releases that shows E3-style bullshots. There's a limit to the public's tolerance of shit-eating. They'll do it, you just can't rub their nose in it.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
looking at some leaked footage right now and it looks fine to me, I dunno where all this bitching is coming from. i've done a pretty good job over the years of showing blatant codextard double standards when it comes to bethesda vs their shitty heroes like avellone so I suspect it's more sour grapes than worthwhile criticism.

Zeriel

Arcane
looking at some leaked footage right now and it looks fine to me, I dunno where all this bitching is coming from. i've done a pretty good job over the years of showing blatant codextard double standards when it comes to bethesda vs their shitty heroes like avellone so I suspect it's more sour grapes than worthwhile criticism.

I'd believe you, if it weren't for that tag.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
"Then come Bethesda"? Have you already forgotten the stupid Witcher 3 "DowngradeGate"
Was that as big a thing here as the Fallout 4 looks like Fallout 3 discussion? I truly don't recall.

In regards to AAA games which deliver a complete package to the players, we have had some great game down the years which not only have truly great presentation but also good gameplay.

Bioshock comes to mind as one of the best examples, in terms of rpgs, the Witcher 3 surprised a lot of people with the quality of the quests and writing and by having such a huge and beautiful world to explore,

Echo Mirage

Arcane
Pic of son villain leaked

Hope_Hanging_Edge.png

also moms are tough

(B) HATE HOPE

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Maybe get your eyes checked or something.

Whatever about it, mods will fix it anyway. Main problem is the supposed shit performance for the grafical levels.

Zeriel

Arcane
It was bigger. It happened over a much longer span of time, of course.

Not to mention there was material proof of it and CDPR even admitted to it after release. In Bethesda's case it's just people being disappointed(slash amazed/amused) that Bethesda is still incompetent, there's no actual malice.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Even indie devs are guilty of misrepresentation of their games, just look at those ridiculous bullshots of wasteland 2...

Nuclear Explosion

I was looking at the FNV credits on the Fallout wiki the other day. They lost the lead artist, audio director, lead programmer, most area designers, 3 of the 4 main writers (MCA, Gonzalez, Stout), multiple additional writers (including Ziets), 2 of the 3 character designers, and many others.
Obsidian is a shadow of its former self. At this point, I'd rather see them give it to Arkane, which I think is the natural choice:
Sawyer was the most important person on New Vegas and he's still there. Arkane would be an interesting choice, though. Given that Fallout 4 supposedly has good gunplay (I haven't heard anything about the melee combat, has it been improved?) it would probably be better for Arkane to work on TES VI's combat.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If Obsidian ever gets the budget to do a Fallout sequel they could also *gasp* rehire people, but right now I don't see it happening.

What you should fear is that it gets farmed out to some shit-tier dev because Bethesda don't want to get showed up again, who make a game (even) worse than FO4.

Cadmus

Arcane
Sawyer was the most important person on New Vegas and he's still there. Arkane would be an interesting choice, though. Given that Fallout 4 supposedly has good gunplay (I haven't heard anything about the melee combat, has it been improved?) it would probably be better for Arkane to work on TES VI's combat.
1) Sawyer is a retarded hipster
2) the gunplay cannot be good because it runs on Gamebryo

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Was that as big a thing here as the Fallout 4 looks like Fallout 3 discussion? I truly don't recall.

Nevr forget
the-witcher-3-novigrad.jpg

Also this:
QcOH0nT.png

One of the entrances to Novigrad. Can confirm it still looks like this. Crack is slightly more visible due to SweetFX tweaks. But gras spouts from inside rock and corner asset is missing. Also, the textures ont he two sides of the tower don't line up properly now.

Grass then:
2504400-7932559264-23989.gif

Grass now:
image_the_witcher_3_wild_hunt-28293-2651_0004.jpg

Witcher-3-48.jpg

Grass in witcher 2:
2555381-8701918319-idzig.jpg

The reason people remark on the grass is tha tthey already had some really nice grass assets and swapped them for green blobs. It's baffling since there's very little extra work or texture memory being used in the old ones.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Skyrim allegedly ran on gamebryo and the combat was good enough. from the leaked footage the gunplay looks at about bioshock levels, which is pretty good and much better than I would have expected after fallout 3/nv.

Zeriel

Arcane
Skyrim allegedly ran on gamebryo and the combat was good enough. from the leaked footage the gunplay looks at about bioshock levels, which is pretty good and much better than I would have expected after fallout 3/nv.

Okay, I was wondering what you did to get that tag, I'm starting to understand.

Fairfax

Arcane
I disagree that he was the most important person, Sawyer himself said people overtestimate the director's influence in games in general IIRC. In many interviews he gave examples of how several areas and quests came to life and it was much more like old Fallout development, with the project lead giving basic instructions and other people bringing it to life. Gonzalez was creative lead and lead writer, and I think he was more important to that game's quality than Sawyer. Sawyer's mod and cut content like the romance he mentioned recently reinforce that idea. It also helped that it was a massive F3 mod and most systems were already in place, not to mention it was a decade-old franchise with multiple games, it's not like he was breaking new ground.

With so many key personnel gone, a new Obsidian Fallout would have Sawyer with a much heavier hand running the show, and that's the last thing the series needs. As for TES VI, Arkane is a fairly large company, as big as Obsidian IIRC, they shouldn't have a problem providing feedback for TES VI combat and while working on the Fallout spin-off. Id software did it already. They helped with F4's gunplay while working on the new Doom.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Maybe get your eyes checked or something.

Whatever about it, mods will fix it anyway. Main problem is the supposed shit performance for the grafical levels.

Skyrim pc had shit performance too and mods (followed by patches) fixed it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom