Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Release Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Zeriel

Arcane
Mods never fixed Skyrim's terrible utilization of cores. The better your hardware, the worse its relative performance is. The problem persists to this day. Why do you think Bethesda is always at pains to make a distinction between Skyrim era "Creation Engine" and now?

Nuclear Explosion

With so many key personnel gone, a new Obsidian Fallout would have Sawyer with a much heavier hand running the show, and that's the last thing the series needs.
Why do you think that?

Sawyer's big on reactivity, C&C, and he would be able to massively improve Fallout 4's systems.

Cadmus

Arcane
Skyrim pc had shit performance too and mods (followed by patches) fixed it.
nothing better than buying a game and waiting for random retards to "fix" it for you
Gamebryo still has the same problem since Morrowind that later into game it becomes sluggish and slow and generally shitty no matter what and I don't know of any mod that fixes it.

Fairfax

Arcane
Speaking of Sawyer, I couldn't find the interview I wanted, but I found this codex thread:
Josh Sawyer talks about development processes in Fallout: New Vegas

9352.jpg

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Why do you think that?

Sawyer's big on reactivity, C&C, and he would be able to massively improve Fallout 4's systems.
Then why wasn't he big on reactivity and C&C for PoE, even though he had free rein?

eremita

Savant
I disagree that he was the most important person, Sawyer himself said people overtestimate the director's influence in games in general IIRC. In many interviews he gave examples of how several areas and quests came to life and it was much more like old Fallout development, with the project lead giving basic instructions and other people bringing it to life. Gonzalez was creative lead and lead writer, and I think he was more important to that game's quality than Sawyer. Sawyer's mod and cut content like the romance he mentioned recently reinforce that idea. It also helped that it was a massive F3 mod and most systems were already in place, not to mention it was a decade-old franchise with multiple games, it's not like he was breaking new ground.

With so many key personnel gone, a new Obsidian Fallout would have Sawyer with a much heavier hand running the show, and that's the last thing the series needs. As for TES VI, Arkane is a fairly large company, as big as Obsidian IIRC, they shouldn't have a problem providing feedback for TES VI combat and while working on the Fallout spin-off. Id software did it already. They helped with F4's gunplay while working on the new Doom.
I always wondered whether Gonzales was actually the reason why NV turned out the way it did. If so, too bad he's wasted on this shit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLjmdJ-_rUs

Fairfax

Arcane
I always wondered whether Gonzales was actually the reason why NV turned out the way it did. If so, too bad he's wasted on this shit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLjmdJ-_rUs
I think everyone besides the programmers (sorry, 27,000 bugs fixed after release) did a good job, considering the credits and the info we have on who wrote and designed what. As for that video, I ask myself the same question, it's one of the dumbest concepts I've ever seen.

Nuclear Explosion

Gonzalez was creative lead and lead writer, and I think he was more important to that game's quality than Sawyer. Sawyer's mod reinforces that idea.
Can you explain what you mean?

Sawyer's mod improves the game quite a bit

Fairfax

Arcane
PoE is an IE spiritual successor; reactivity and C&C were not goals (though it still has more than the IE games).
See the link Infinitron posted http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Kolsc

Also, he did not have free rein on PoE; if he did it would have been turn-based, class-less, attribute-less, and without levels.
They literally promised it in the KS page:
You will engage in dialogues that are deep, and offer many choices to determine the fate of you and your party. …and you'll experience a story that explores mature themes and presents you with complex, difficult choices to shape how your story plays out.
The world will react to your choices, but the game is designed to give you the freedom to play your character the way you want to.

C&C and reactivity are the one aspect Obsidian used to excel at, and it was what everybody expected from an independent Obsidian project.
Also:
"class-less, attribute-less, and without levels."

And you think that's the best guy to improve Fallout's systems?
Can you explain what you mean?

Sawyer's mod improves the game quite a bit
I hate it. Some things are definitely improved, but it adds too many annoyances that give an artificial sense of difficulty. It's like cutting 3 fingers off your hand and saying ping-pong is a great challenge.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Behead all those who insult based Sawyer, who pours his heart and soul into the game. Camper Sawyer, genius designer Sawyer, modder Sawyer. Many aspects of God.

Heretics, may you lose your balance and fall over.

I hate it. Some things are definitely improved, but it adds too many annoyances that give an artificial sense of difficulty. It's like cutting 3 fingers off your hand and saying ping-pong is a great challenge.

Examples please.

Zeriel

Arcane
Attributes are an absolute platonic ideal, and hence cannot be balanced, and must be torn limb from limb to please Him.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Last 10 pages have been dissapointing. You guys aren't even trying anymore. In other words you're just like Bethesda.

Nuclear Explosion

They literally promised it in the KS page:
C&C and reactivity are the one aspect Obsidian used to excel at, and it was what everybody expected from an independent Obsidian project.
They delivered all of those things, just not to a NV level of quality. It was unrealistic to expect that. Again, it was pitched as an IE successor; C&C and reactivity were not the focus.
"class-less, attribute-less, and without levels."
And you think that's the best guy to improve Fallout's systems?
Obviously, he wouldn't remove levels from Fallout but given enough freedom he might remove attributes. SPECIAL is terrible anyway; it would be no loss. Underrail's system design is Sawyerist (Roguey made a post about the parts that Sawyer would approve of) and it's pretty widely seen on the Codex as Fallout with working mechanics.
New Vegas is easy even with Sawyer's mod installed. Can you give examples of "annoyances that give an artificial sense of difficulty"

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Wanting Arkane to do a Fallout spin-off.

What in the actual fuck?

Are people still living in denial that Dishonered wasn't a massive piece of shit?

Skyrim allegedly ran on gamebryo

Allegedly?

http://peter.corrosivetruths.org/2011/12/21/is-skyrims-creation-just-gamebryo/

Gamebryo, tweaked and with crap bolted to it. That's what the Creation Engine is. There are other articles of people noting the same commands being usable from Oblivion to FO3 to Skyrim. Some don't work anymore but others do. Fallout 4's engine is Creation (Gamebryo+1) with more add-ons and tweaks (+2).

Incidentally while looking for that link I also found out the train in Broken Steel was actually a fashion accessory.

hLLZb2S.jpg

http://www.geek.com/games/a-train-y...-actually-an-npc-wearing-a-train-hat-1628532/

http://www.pcgamer.com/heres-whats-happening-inside-fallout-3s-metro-train/

Zeriel

Arcane
Bethesda should have hired Trainwiz, he has more talent than most of their employees.

I haven't kept up with this thread since page 213, so excuse me if this is old news, but International Business Times broke the review Embargo.

'Fallout 4' Review: The Dangers Of Hype

Negative review, if you couldn't guess, and was quickly pulled... but not before being cached: http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...m/fallout-4-review-dangers-hype-video-2174132

Best part?

As I was picking my way through an abandoned brewery somewhere in the wastelands about 10 hours into the game, I blurted out, "When is something interesting supposed to happen?" I was bored, even after running through a few of the main story quests. "This is the hill I'm going to die on," I thought then. "Fallout 4" has very dedicated fans, and I imagine the reaction to these statements won't be particularly positive.

To be fair, I praised the sheer number of activities and quests available in "Dragon Age: Inquisition," a game similar to "Fallout 4." However, "Dragon Age" had a decently captivating plot and, more important, charismatic characters to invest you in their world, make you laugh and pull the story along. "Fallout 4" doesn't have either of those things. It's not that the game doesn't give you things to do -- it gives you far more than anybody could reasonably expect -- it's that it doesn't really supply a consistent set of reasons to want to do those things.

The story itself isn't the problem: It's the pacing. "Fallout 4" is a very, very slow game. And I'm not exaggerating this point for effect: The first five to 10 hours after you leave Vault 111 is mostly spent trying not to die at the hands of a random mole rat and on farming side quests to gain enough strength to push through main ones. But the side quests often involving boring nonplayable characters (NPCs) you’ll never interact with after the quest is done. There's never really a reason to care about what's going on, even as some quests have you defending struggling settlements.

The main characters don't really help matters, either. Some of your companions are mildly interesting, but for the most part there's not much to talk about. Conversations are usually bland and boring, aside from the sarcastic lines your character can spit out assuming you're so inclined. Nobody grabbed my attention right away, and nobody will stick in my memory (with the possible exception of Codsworth the robot). After 20 or so hours, when you've got a nice set of perks and a decent arsenal to complete some of the bigger quests with, the story does get a bit more interesting, but I'm not confident saying that the payoff is worth the investment.

Fairfax

Arcane
They delivered all of those things, just not to a NV level of quality. It was unrealistic to expect that. Again, it was pitched as an IE successor; C&C and reactivity were not the focus.

Obviously, he wouldn't remove levels from Fallout but given enough freedom he might remove attributes. SPECIAL is terrible anyway; it would be no loss. Underrail's system design is Sawyerist (Roguey made a post about the parts that Sawyer would approve of) and it's pretty widely seen on the Codex as Fallout with working mechanics.

New Vegas is easy even with Sawyer's mod installed. Can you give examples of "annoyances that give an artificial sense of difficulty"
Well, I don't think it delivered at all. C&C is shit in PoE and I see no excuse for that, specially when it was promised.
As for the mod, it would derail the thread even further because I find plenty of it really shitty, but to each their own.
Wanting Arkane to do a Fallout spin-off.

What in the actual fuck?

Are people still living in denial that Dishonered wasn't a massive piece of shit?
The best option in an extremely limited pool. Still, chances are Bethesda will give it to the studio the leaker mentioned on reddit way back.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom