Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

Yosharian

Arcane
Also fun fact a few modlists deal with the early PA by making it explode when you get out of it lol

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The minigun being poor against armoured targets really only work properly with Fallouts 1, 2, Tactics, and New Vegas, for the simple reason that these games present an "Armour Threshold" value that actually abstracts this trade off.
Where with 3 & 4, it's just a pure damage multiplier.

Gargaune

Magister
Then again, videogames in general don't accurately represent firearms for balance reasons, like the usual trope of offsetting high fire rates with low per-shot damage - whether it's Fallout or Fallout 4, minigun bullets apparently have less stopping power than assault rifle bullets. Nevermind that the whole idea of handheld miniguns was only popularised because it looked cool in Terminator 2.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
And the barrel spin up. Real miniguns don't have a warm up period, they just go brrr and remove anything in a general direction.
That's just there to look cool and give an audio cue to the player to GTFO.

Ditto with laser sights on sniper rifles. Again, that's a visual cue to let the player know that there are snipers. Letting your enemies know that you are there is highly counter-productive.

But in the case of DR, it doesn't work for game design reasons.
You can see this in Fallout 3; Power Armour, which is supposed to be comparable to tank armour, can be beaten with mere 5.56 rounds because it only reduces damage by a percentage.
APAmk2 only reduces damage by about 50% and Enclave soldiers only have about 45 health. This means it takes a measly 6 shots from a Chinese assault rifle to kill one.

That is absolutely pathetic for a suit of advanced power armour.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Balance and gimmicks aside, the abstractions are important.

Consider a minigun or SMG or whatever that fires 30 rounds per second at 5 damage each,
and some carbine that fires twice per second for 50 damage each.

You will respectively have a damage potential of 150 DPS and 100 DPS respectively, reloading aside.
Should you run into someone with 50 DR, your potential DPS is reduced to 75 and 50.
Assuming perfectly accuracy, the former will always be better in a system that abstracts damage this way.

But with a Damage Threshold abstraction, each round now loses fixed damage.
If you run into someone with 1 DT, the potential is now 120 and 98,
Make that 2, and the equation now favours the carbine at 96 over 90.
With the former's prospects only getting worse from there.

Even Fallout 1's power Armour only had a 40% DR.
But the 12 DT also attached to it made you a nigh unstoppable walking tank
With those stats, these hypothetical weapons would do 0 (barring crits) and 15 damage per round.

Yes I'm aware I'm ignoring most damage types

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Does this allow me to circumvent the material gathering and settlement defending parts of the game? I never beat Fallout 4 on release, and I've been thinking about revisiting it, but every time I remember how much I hated my inventory clogged with literal trash that I need for a bad minigame completely removed from the plot.
The mandatory building, and the way you need to carry tons of industrial garbage to facilitate it, was the main thing that kept me from completing the game.
Damn, 4 years later, same question.

Gargaune

Magister
Does this allow me to circumvent the material gathering and settlement defending parts of the game? I never beat Fallout 4 on release, and I've been thinking about revisiting it, but every time I remember how much I hated my inventory clogged with literal trash that I need for a bad minigame completely removed from the plot.
The mandatory building, and the way you need to carry tons of industrial garbage to facilitate it, was the main thing that kept me from completing the game.
1) search "no settlement attacks" on the Nexus, there's a couple of different mods disabling that crap;
2) just "tgm" in console to build with no material requirements in settlements;

Yosharian

Arcane
This doesn't really solve the problem but you can download a mod from the Nexus that makes all fundamental materials (e.g. glass, concrete, and so on) weightless.

I quite like this mod even though it's not very realistic since as you say, the game is designed around having these materials on hand to do stuff

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom