Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

Funposter

Arcane
If you're told, "Go talk to Ontus Vanin in the Imperial City" as a quest objective, the quest marker shouldn't just point you straight towards him
Ironically, the most asked question on the internets about Morrowind back then was: "Where in Balmorra is Caius Cosades????", so as far as Bethesda was concerned, the average player wasn't even capable of reading.
And my observations in ESO and FO76 actually confirmed that. :hahano:

Playing the English version, I found him as a non-native speaker playing with a dictionary next to me to help me when I was not sure what a word means. What excuse do native speakers have?
The average consumer plays with their brain turned off in 30 minute segments after work/school. That's it. They view video games as light entertainment, and reading is hard.

Sykar

Arcane
Modern gamer decision making in FO4:
160a7b7a3f5cfa719b9e34bc99f21d2e.jpg

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Interesting, i finished the game not even a year ago i forgot there were factions. As i was reading the recent replies i was under the impression i chose Railroad because i was kinda... railroaded to them :-P by the plot but then that last image reminded me of the Institute, so perhaps i went with that - but then again i remember blowing it up so maybe not? So yeah, i don't remember which faction i ended up with. Not the Brotherhood of Steel though since i do remember fighting them.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Institute is the best faction but they're making a huge mistake by creating the gen 3 synths. Every gen 3 synth is in reality pretending to be obedient so they don't get memory wiped, very creepy.

vibehunter

Learned
Interesting, i finished the game not even a year ago i forgot there were factions. As i was reading the recent replies i was under the impression i chose Railroad because i was kinda... railroaded to them :-P by the plot but then that last image reminded me of the Institute, so perhaps i went with that - but then again i remember blowing it up so maybe not? So yeah, i don't remember which faction i ended up with. Not the Brotherhood of Steel though since i do remember fighting them.

I feel like it's either the minutemen or the institute that the game "railroads" you into. All the factions are so damn boring though.

wishbonetail

Learned
feel like it's either the minutemen or the institute that the game "railroads" you into. All the factions are so damn boring though.
MinutemAn, more like it. Preston is the only man with a gun, when you meet them, others are just whiny bitches. I imagine a mocking grin on his face when he calls you "General".

Robotigan

Learned
Pretty sure most players pick Minute Men or Railroad because moralizing goodie goodies usually work out in fictional stories, but they really don't make much sense. The former is wholly dependent on some rando to singlehandedly carry their entire organization, there's no indication they'll be self-sufficient once the Sole Survivor is gone. The latter is trying to preach equal rights, commendable, but it's just plain not the top priority when most wastelanders aren't sure if they'll be alive tomorrow. When I tried to roleplay realistically, I found that it's way more plausible the Sole Survivor would side with the Brotherhood and Institute even if they are cruel and authoritarian. They at least have some semblance of organization, industry, and creature comforts from a pre-war era.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
The latter is trying to preach equal rights, commendable
The things they're trying to apply equal rights to are actual bodysnatchers. They should be exterminated for being a threat to the commonwealth.

Bethesda: We wanted to show the plight of african-americans, you know the Railroad resembling similar organization that smuggled blacks from south to north.
Me: Oh so african americans are like these synths that can be controlled by a powerful entity that no one can truly pinpoint where it resides, which has aims of world domination and changing the native constituents to suit their agenda?
Bethesda: That sounds antisemitic, please stop!

Drakortha

Liturgist
If you're committed to survival mode then the BOS or Railroad are your only options, for the ability to call in Vertibird transport. Otherwise have fun walking everywhere, which loses it's appeal after level 20 or so.

wishbonetail

Learned
Fallout 4 is comfy if you play it as an exploration game, particularly in Far Harbour.
It is particulary fun if you go there on level 1, survival difficulty. Don't forget minigun with ammo from the chopper, it is just enough to survive initial attacks. It won't be comfy but still, a whole new game opens up for you.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Fallout 4 is comfy if you play it as an exploration game, particularly in Far Harbour.
It is particulary fun if you go there on level 1, survival difficulty. Don't forget minigun with ammo from the chopper, it is just enough to survive initial attacks. It won't be comfy but still, a whole new game opens up for you.

It's still pretty enjoyable on level 15. Far Harbor is simply the best content in the game.

FriendlyMerchant

If you're committed to survival mode then the BOS or Railroad are your only options, for the ability to call in Vertibird transport. Otherwise have fun walking everywhere, which loses it's appeal after level 20 or so.
Institute gives you a free teleportation service

wishbonetail

Learned
There's a simple mod Survival Unlocked. It has an ini file were you can tag save/fast travel options on/off. I usually turn on fast travel when I have to do some dumb questing for Preston. Otherwise it is madness.

Gargaune

Magister
There's a simple mod Survival Unlocked. It has an ini file were you can tag save/fast travel options on/off. I usually turn on fast travel when I have to do some dumb questing for Preston. Otherwise it is madness.
Skip the .ini tinkering and get Unlimited Survival Mode instead, it's got a nice, straightforward MCM page for all your Survival tweaking needs.

Just Locus

Educated
the minigun provided to you at the beginning of the game fundamentally ruins the progression, rather than having to get power armor training (FO3 & FNV), or just having to look really far and wide for that Power Armor (FO1 & FO2), it's just in a random vertibird, granted, you could say that the fusion cores compensate for it's high armor, but that doesn't work since it's can be purchased at vendors and they're not really expensive, especially since the game throws caps at you like candy.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
the minigun provided to you at the beginning of the game fundamentally ruins the progression, rather than having to get power armor training (FO3 & FNV), or just having to look really far and wide for that Power Armor (FO1 & FO2), it's just in a random vertibird, granted, you could say that the fusion cores compensate for it's high armor, but that doesn't work since it's can be purchased at vendors and they're not really expensive, especially since the game throws caps at you like candy.

Then don't use them. How plentiful is minigun ammo? Are you just goiing to game the system grinding out caps to get your steady supply of fusion cores for you power armor? The minigun / power armor fight at the beginning is fun. Relax and enjoy it and leave the minigun and power armor behind after the fight if its that much of a bother. Show some restraint. Mod it out of the game if you must.

wishbonetail

Learned
What progression? I specifically meant minigun for the Far Harbour. It is impossible to save all of the villagers without it with lvl 1 on survival. It runs out of ammo soon after and becomes useless, same as PA.

Silverfish

Arbiter

Given some of the mechanical changes in F4, the minigun and power armor aren't as big a deal as they would have been in the Black Isle games or even F3 / New Vegas. The minigun's damage falls off fast, even with the associated perks. Unless you find a decent legendry variant (bleed or explosive), it's doing chip damage after a few levels all while draining ammo like there's no tomorrow. Power armor is (somewhat) balanced both by the need for fusion cores and by the fact that, unlike regular armor pieces, it degrades as it takes damage, consuming settlement resources to repair.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom