Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

Valdetiosi

Scholar
What they do is give androids a mean to be free instead of pawn of Institute, and that's stupid? I mean you be you, if you want to enslave people for being of specific group.
Knowing what they stand for is what makes them good, because I'm more inclined about being with someone I can relate than somebody who I have no idea what the fuck they are gonna do.
Also don't diss hobo aesthetics, you know they rule the world when rich dies out.
Worse than that is the fact that, if you can stomach them long enough to complete the main story while aligned with them, they nuke the Institute, thus rendering the synths their whole operation revolves around into an endangered species.
That's a solution, no more synths. The alternative is endless loop of rebooting synths.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yeah it's a solution all right. A final solution if you would. Make up your mind, either they are deserving of rights and are "alive" and therefore should be "free" or have no rights and are subject to what is essentially genocide and mind wipes. That's like ending slavery by wiping out humanity. After all, no more humans means no more slaves, right?
You can't "enslave" something that was literally created to be a tool. Go liberate your Alexa then. After all, it speaks and has an AI, so therefore it should deserve freedom, right? Do not conflate enslavement of real people with what are effectively meat golems.

This "freedom" results in real humans getting killed because we've seen how synths are prone to malfunction. Which in a post apocalyptic setting where life is already hard, is not something you want. Raiders are already a problem. You know what would be worse? An immortal raider that's faster and stronger than humans.
If you think about the implications and ramifications of their actions it's not as virtuous as you want it to be.

Explain how a bunch of wastelanders living underground have the industry and tech to make a functioning railgun that just doesn't explode in their faces.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
True, Institute armor and gear looks like shit. The synth armour is literally just some pieces of plastic that cover nothing and the guns look like toys. They also take up half the screen for some stupid reason and their stats aren't great.
Courser coats look fine though.

Last edited:

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
This discussion feels like art critics peering intently at a turd thrown full force at the wall and arguing over the implications of the corn placement or the way the runnier parts are dripping down in an interesting pattern and what it could possibly mean.

__scribbles__

Educated
Y'all know that the very fact you're debating the different faction philosophies proves that Bethesda games have thought-provoking writing, right?

It's beautiful to see. They won't admit it though.
Shitting on Bethesda to no end but still buying all their games on release is the ritual all cRPG fans have to perform whenever Beth announces a new product. As TorontoReign over on NMA put it:
"And I am saying you have no idea who these people are if you do not think 70 percent of NMA will buy Starfield, Skyrim 2, and Fallout 5. Have faith in the community? You don't even know it if you think these hypocrites that talk shit about Bethesda all day will not then turn and shovel the game down their throat."

MWaser

Arbiter
Y'all know that the very fact you're debating the different faction philosophies proves that Bethesda games have thought-provoking writing, right?
Random retards writing regurgitated racist garbage and a dumb liberal defending it with faulty logic that's been thrown around 200 million times before is throught-provoking to whomever is bored enough that they want to analyze it (because it's provoking overall - and you can find ample arguments from various angles about how both are wrong). That doesn't mean it's good content, or worth your time.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Not really. It's thought provoking in the sense that it's a guide on how not to write.
Compared to the older games it's pretty poor.
There's analysis of Plan 9 From Outer Space. That doesn't mean it's a good movie.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not really. It's thought provoking in the sense that it's a guide on how not to write.
There's analysis of Plan 9 From Outer Space. That doesn't mean it's a good movie.
Scroll back. I never said it was good.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Scroll back. I never said it was good.
Ah, so you didn't. My apologies, I'm used to seeing thought-provoking being used as praise.

Silverfish

Arbiter

It's beautiful to see. They won't admit it though.

I'll admit to it. Bethesda's writers won't give Charles Dickens or Mark Twain anything to worry about, but in the AAA video game sphere? Yeah, they're at least as good as, and usually better than, anybody else. I could at least finish Fallout 4, which is more than I can say for Dragon Age 3, Outer Worlds or GreedFall.

jackofshadows

Magister
I'll admit to it. Bethesda's writers won't give Charles Dickens or Mark Twain anything to worry about, but in the AAA video game sphere? Yeah, they're at least as good as, and usually better than, anybody else.
Hard disagree. They're at the bottom tier. F4 in particular has abysmal writing overall.

Btw I've finished the game too but only because of the pew-pew, not because of its writing lmao.

jackofshadows

Magister
Hard disagree. They're at the bottom tier. F4 in particular has abysmal writing overall.

Go play through The Outer Worlds and get back to me.
I have played through TOW. Its writing is better despite being way too silly and ill-conceived. For the most part, at least it's inoffensive, unlike the F4 utter stupidity (I'm not even implying franchize related stuff here). Kinds of shit though, not worth debating tbh.

Just Locus

Educated
it was so thought-provoking that we must discuss for hours and hours which one is the most badly written one.

Silverfish

Arbiter
The most poorly written has to be the Institute. "Remember the guy we used as a lab rat 60 years ago? Well, I let him out of stasis, watched as he befriended all of our enemies in the span of a week, did nothing as he killed our top agent and one of our super robots and couldn't see the downside of him sharing a method to access our secret underground base. Also, I'd like to make him the new leader after I pass."

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yeah, making the player the head of the institute was a mistake, especially when you've been killing synths all game. It's like one of the higher ups had a "brilliant idea" and bullied his underlings to go ahead with it. Basically amateur work.
What's even worse is that after you become boss literally nothing changes. It's like they didn't learn from Skyrim, where they make the player the Jarl of multiple regions, the archmage of Winterholm and give the player a bunch of other titles, but you're still a gopher doing chores at the end of the day.
Being the Minutemen General has the same problem. If I'm the general, I shouldn't have to trek across the fucking commonwealth to kill some bandits for some minor settlement. I should be ordering Preston to do that, not the other way around.

Now if they had given you proper ending slides like in every other fallout such options would have been fine, but as is it doesn't really work.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Being the Minutemen General has the same problem. If I'm the general, I shouldn't have to trek across the fucking commonwealth to kill some bandits for some minor settlement. I should be ordering Preston to do that, not the other way around.

The weird thing about being the Minutemen general and having no power over the organization is that the building blocks for a proper leadership mechanic are already in the game. You can assign settlers in your various strongholds to do things like tend crops, scavenge materials or even run shops (which requires a perk, but whatever, it's Bethesda). If you're in a fight near an allied settlement, you can call in help via a flare gun. Not being able to form an actual militia and send them out on Preston's busywork missions seems like a massive oversight.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom