Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Fallout 4 Total Conversions - Now with Fallout: London "Coming Soon™"

Which Fo4 TCs do you believe will make it to release?

• Fallout 4: New Vegas

Votes: 21 21.0%
  • Fallout: Miami

Votes: 12 12.0%
  • Fallout: Cascadia

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Fallout 4: Capital Wasteland

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Fallout: London

Votes: 11 11.0%
  • Fallout 4: Liberty Hell

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Fallout 4: Project Arroyo

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • None, but I still wanna kingcomrade.

Votes: 61 61.0%

• Total voters

Gargaune

Magister
So all in all, a remake of New Vegas in F4 engine would vastly improve the worst aspect of NV - the combat
If the F4NV team actually manage a full and well balanced port, the visual upgrade and Fo4 combat model alone would be enough to make it worth it over the original sans DLCs.

Enemy design should be taken from FNV, otherwise it's not a faithful remake
Some changes would be present:
We're also tweaking and rebalancing the combat of New Vegas to better fit into the more dynamic combat of Fallout 4 while retaining the more RPG-based systems utilized in New Vegas to create a more dynamic and interesting combat system.

True, but considering that FNV doesn't throw PA at you in the first thirty minutes of gameplay, it will have to wait until BoS questline is finished or one unit is obtained from Enclave vets
Which would make it all the cooler if/when you actually get Power Armour.

Duralux for Durabux

Fallout 3 was built on Oblivion foundation and Oblivion was built on Morrowind foundation. Does that mean that Morrowind foundation was shit all along? Unbelievable.

FNV is the one Fallout I'd welcome a remake of, as it's the easiest to improve without ruining what made it good.

Not very impressed with what I've seen in the videos, though. Am I the only one to think some scenery actually looks worse? Take the Primm Bridge, for example. And what did they do with Doc Mitchell? I hope that's not their last word in terms of visuals. The only thing worse than having shitty assets in your game is having shitty assets in high resolution.

I'm glad they're increasing the size of the map, but the 25% number I've seen quoted is nowhere near enough. It's the thing that most annoys me in FNV, how it never managed to convey a sense of scale that was befitting of its gameplay. Classic Fallout had world map travel and was able, in a minimalist yet wonderfully tasteful way to express a gigantic sense of scale. Fallout is about travelling great distances on your own. Now, the 3D Fallouts chose to do away with the abstraction of map travel and must, therefore, somewhat compensate with the size of the rendered world. The experience becomes much less credible when you can casually jog from Primm to Las Vegas in 5 minutes (they're 40 miles, or 65 km apart IRL).

So how big should the map be? Obviously, it cannot try for 1:1 scale, but I'll be disappointed with anything that isn't several times larger, at least. It doesn't need to be filled with "content", but it should of course be dangerous and difficult. This would be a golden opportunity to revamp the barebones survival mechanics from the original game into something worth talking about.

The other glaring issue with the original is the Legion's implementation, or its lack of. But that's a job for a game designer, not just a modder.

Given the gargantuan amount of work put into these "total conversion" projects, if neither of those flaws are improved upon I think it's a total waste of time.

Gargaune

Magister
That's shit as well. Only Fallout and Fallout 2 exist. Even Tactics is better than Bethesda's trash.
Well, that's fair enough, then. It's a consistent position, at least.

Am I the only one to think some scenery actually looks worse?
I imagine there must be another one of you out there, but I wouldn't know to tell you where to look. I think what they've shown so far looks very nice, whereas the original NV was an eyesore.

I do agree with you on the NV map being crowded and, unfortunately, looks like the F4NV team might actually try sticking some more random encounters and content into its emptier parts. I'd love for them to add more negative space, but there's absolutely no chance of that. They will be developing the Hardcore/Survival mechanics, at least, but we won't be getting the extra space. As for further developing the Legion, not gonna happen, they're sticking with the original narrative content, and that's probably for the better on the whole.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
So how big should the map be? Obviously, it cannot try for 1:1 scale, but I'll be disappointed with anything that isn't several times larger, at least. It doesn't need to be filled with "content", but it should of course be dangerous and difficult. This would be a golden opportunity to revamp the barebones survival mechanics from the original game into something worth talking about.
Molten Clouds devs do away with "one map, no loadscreens" and bring back world-map travel as seen Fallout 2

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Enemy design should be taken from FNV, otherwise it's not a faithful remake

If remakes have the ability to truly improve on the original game (that is whithout sacrificing the original spirit/intent) then they should

I don't know about you but I would prefer if Deathclaws did anything else other than just run straight towards me while I gun them down...
They aren't even particularly fast...

Weapon modding in F4 is trash

No it's pretty good
It's one of the more feature complete weapon modding game systems out there
You can replace virtually any part of the gun in question and wildly modify it's performance and functionality

Although the F4NV team should make it so gun parts can only be acquired either through trade or by scanvanging parts of other guns, and remove the dumpster diving crafting component that F4 relied so much on

True, but considering that FNV doesn't throw PA at you in the first thirty minutes of gameplay, it will have to wait until BoS questline is finished or one unit is obtained from Enclave vets

And that will make the process of obtaining power armor components that much rewarding

It's the thing that most annoys me in FNV, how it never managed to convey a sense of scale that was befitting of its gameplay.

That's the trade-off of open-worlds
They have to forgo scale for a more condensed gameworld, but one that can offer more interactivity and be more enjoyable to explore

Last edited:

Gargaune

Magister
Maybe, but it's hard to downgrade from the combat experience in Fallout 3/New Vegas. It's got some of the clunkiest, most primitive action components in the Action-RPG genre, at least in the past two decades.

Although the F4NV team should make it so gun parts can only be acquired either through trade or by scanvanging parts of other guns, and remove the dumpster diving crafting component that F4 relied so much on
That could be a pretty cool development if someone had the time to give it proper attention, a significant improvement over Bethesda's generic loot schema. But I don't think it's in the cards.

They have to forgo scale for a more condensed gameworld, but that can offer more interactivity and be more enjoyable to explore
Yes, but New Vegas was particularly bad in this respect (as is Fallout 4, in fact), the worldspace was too condensed. You've got more negative space in Fallout 3, and then other examples like Kingdom Come: Deliverance, STALKER, Gothic too, unless memory fails. Hell, even Skyrim's got more breathing room.

most of these games mods don't seem to have the right tenor or atmosphere to me. They feel like a comedy shooter, I want fallout.

Gargaune

Magister
Anyway, I tried digging up a little more info on the New Vegas work (I was bored), and I turned up an October 2019 general update on Reddit and a January 2019 Nexus Mods interview.

I was gonna let this thread sleep for now, but I did come across something interesting - F4NV's 2020 developer update. Compared to the 2019 one, with "50% of the worldspace complete", the 2020 devlog states "around 85% of exteriors and 70% of the interiors" are done. Systems-wise, they're counting faction reputation, disguises, the "original" NV skill system, gear requirements, ammo recycling and weapon degradation as complete, with armour condition, ammo switching and additional gameplay SPECIAL integration still outstanding. The quests team is also reported as making "great progress", but no metrics on this one and since they're claiming to be working on some functional differences between New Vegas and Fallout 4, I suspect this is still quite in its early days.

All in all, though, that's pretty encouraging year-on-year progress, especially since level design will be the biggest effort involved. If I were to indulge in some fabulous optimism, I could possibly see this make it as soon as late 2022. I look forward to seeing this year's October update.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
I was corrected that TC's name is The Chosen's Way

klmwlJjsxWE.jpg

rztCF4n5rUM.jpg

Z-3lUt4NOoc.jpg

sv3gXpDqsa8.jpg

Don't hope for a release soon, lol, I follow them for like seven years; though their dedication tells me that it's gonna be released sooner or later

Gargaune

Magister
Molten Clouds is the only 3D Fallout TC worth waiting for
So we've got Molten Clouds trying to remake Fo2 in Fo3 and Project Arroyo trying to remake it in Fo4? I wonder which one makes the Codex angrier.

They have to forgo scale for a more condensed gameworld, but one that can offer more interactivity and be more enjoyable to explore

One can say there's usually an inverse correlation between quality and size in open world games. Some will cite Piranha Bytes as an example of quality vs. quantity. But then again, Elex definitely proved that you can have both (if you have enough talent and resources). What's really difficult is making a game that takes advantage of said scale, rather than being overcome by it.

I think FVN, with very little adjustments, could already take advantage from a larger scale. Its small scale detracts from the overall experience, particularly in replays. And it's obviously a game meant to be played multiple times.

Gargaune

Magister
Time for more fabulous optimism, and it's not even next Friday yet - the YouTuber I mentioned in the OP has just had a crack at the Closed Beta for The Capital Wasteland's standalone Point Lookout subproject. And it's apparently "largely" feature and content complete, minus the VO rebuild which is still ongoing.

I'm also curious how they'll handle installation, since the mainline TC projects are meant to be confirming the presence of their original "source material" on the target machine. I've got Fo4 on Steam, but NV and Fo3 on GOG, I hope they'll account for that sort of scenario.

TumblingTorin

Educated
Since the F4NV team have to redub the whole game, would it be possible for a totally unrelated third party to make a mod to replace the redub with the original voices?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom