Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Fallout 4 Total Conversions - Now with Fallout: London "Coming Soon™"

Which Fo4 TCs do you believe will make it to release?

• Fallout 4: New Vegas

Votes: 21 21.0%
  • Fallout: Miami

Votes: 12 12.0%
  • Fallout: Cascadia

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Fallout 4: Capital Wasteland

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Fallout: London

Votes: 11 11.0%
  • Fallout 4: Liberty Hell

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Fallout 4: Project Arroyo

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • None, but I still wanna kingcomrade.

Votes: 61 61.0%

• Total voters

Valdetiosi

Scholar
Modding. Modding never changes.
People hold religious views on long standing and popular mods and any new mod "challenging their authority" is seen as a threat. It's not limited to Fallout 4 either, take A world of Pain from New Vegas, Oscuro's Overhaul from Oblivion, SkyRe for Skyrim ect.

Though I haven't and propably never will end up getting Fallout 4, I applaud the work I've seen put on the Point Lookout project.

Gargaune

Magister
No London on the list?

What do you mean, it's both in the OP and the poll? And you already posted the gameplay trailer yourself on the previous page.

But since we're talking, Fallout: London is expected to have its release date revealed during a #FalloutForHope charity event scheduled for June 25th, 9PM GMT I believe. So I've updated my .txt and am waiting on that. They've been raising some press for the project lately, the lead dev's done interviews with Nexus Mods, Sim Settlements lead Kinggath, another YouTuber going by Degenerate Dak and I think a couple more. Until the devs formally state the release date towards the end of this month, "before the end of 2023" is all Kinggath managed to squeeze out of them, but I suspect it'll be much sooner. Actually, I'm expecting they'll try to capitalise on Starfield's delay and get this out before Todd delivers the next thing that Just Works™, I wouldn't be surprised if we get a Christmas target.

One thing that stuck with me is when lead dev Prilladog needled all those who didn't think Fallout: London was ever gonna make it, because I gotta admit I was one of 'em, didn't give this one good odds. But they, ahem, kept calm and carried on and now it looks like they'll be the first to ship a complete Fallout 4 Total Conversion. Credit where it's due... Speaking of, any of you know a good recipe for crow?

Gargaune

Magister
Okay, I've gone through the OP and gave it a little facelift, reformatted for the new Codex software, culled some dead links, and I figured I might as well share a couple of updates while we're waiting for the Fallout: London announcements.

Fallout: Miami

I overlooked this at the time, but the Miami team did put out a miniquest highlighting a few teaser items that they've developed, Miami Misadventures - Episode 1. More recently, they've been doing some charity streams for the American Heart Association on their YouTube channel. I haven't played the mod yet and it's not on my .txt (just not that interested in miniquests, I guess) but I did tune in to listen to one of these streams for a backdrop while I was doing other stuff.

The first takeaway is that the project is still alive and actively recruiting. That said, since it appears they're still hard at work on level design, my guess is that this is still a long, long ways away. Another tidbit to that effect was that, if I recall correctly, the team has already planned the Misadventures series as far as the fourth episode, possibly implying there may even be more. I get the publicity angle, but I remain circumspect of these miniprojects and their non-trivial overheads.

Fallout 4: New Vegas

After the great Project Mojave offensive of Fall 2021, things definitely took a dubious turn for the New Vegas remake. There've been a few updates on their Facebook page, including a new year retrospective and a bunch of asset highlights since, but they're significantly less impressive than before. No more completion percentages, no more fancy trailers, we're back to "here's a render of a table." It's hard not to believe that the project's taken a serious blow, so much so that several commenters on Facebook have embraced the time-honoured Codex mantra of "It's not coming out", prompting the owner to repeatedly deny any... um, fallout from a presumed departure of the Project Mojave authors. I'll quote one such example here:

TheFriedTurkey has had no involvement with our project for a very long time, none of his work exists in the project, and his departure has had absolutely zero impact on our work. As well, we have at no point claimed that our project was coming 'soon.' It's done when it's done, and that has been our official stance since we first started working on F4NV.

I dunno, man. You say there's been no impact, but F4NV's public presence all of a sudden seems a lot more subdued than before. Wish you the best, but I'm not bristling with confidence.

Fallout 4: The Capital Wasteland

The big question here is whether this team will carry on after releasing Point Lookout, I've long suspected not and it looks like I'm not the only one. During a recent chat with Fallout: London's Prilladog, Kinggath seemed to suggest that the CW project was over now that the aforementioned HcGxGrill and TheFriedturkey, prolific contributors (also to Project Mojave, Project Zeta and many other mods) have retired from modding to take up industry jobs (on Fallout 76, apparently). Point Lookout itself received two patches quickly after release but, at the time of writing this, has had no further update since May 16th.

I won't toll the bell for 'em yet, there were, after all, many people involved and they may yet pull through. But I won't be surprised if they quietly fold now that Point Lookout is over and done with.

Fallout: Cascadia

I was ready to strike 'em off after not hearing a peep from them for so long, but I decided to check and apparently they did have a call for voice actors back in February, followed by a level design stream on their YouTube channel in March. Alright, Cascadia, you get to live a while longer in my OP.

Fallout: Vault 13

In happier news (for those eager to see some of their fellow Codexers off themselves), the original Fallout is now also in the cards for getting a Fallout 4 remake! Kicking off in style with a 15-minute showcase video:

So that's Fallout, Fallout 2, Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas all theoretically having modders trying to bring them to Fallout 4. I've stuck this one into the OP now, you can find links there.

RetardedDancingDonut.gif

That's a wrap for now. We've got the Fallout: London release date supposed to be announced this coming Saturday, so I'll try to report back with that if I ain't busy.

Gargaune

Magister

"Coming 2023." Okay, that was lame. "2023" isn't a date, it's a collection of 365 dates. Don't get me wrong, it's free stuff and it's done when it's done, I aint' bitching about that, but if you pop onto Kinggath's stream and tell us you'll be announcing the release date, do a whole song and dance and then just say "next year", it's a bit of a letdown.

As for the trailer itself, decent. I especially liked seeing an NPC on a bicycle, it's something that's been bugging me about Bethesda Fallout for a long time - people know about electricity and internal combustion, the BoS and Enclave are even zipping around in VTOLs, but somehow nobody's figured out what this "wheel" thing is for. Nope, better strap a refrigerator to the back of a two-headed cow, that sounds sensible.

Oh well, back to waiting for Starfield, I guess. At least Todd only gave us 183 dates to ponder on.

Poseidon00

Arcane
I am fully confident New Vegas will be playable in the Fallout 4 engine, and i'm happy about it solely because it will be a good VR experience. Same with Vault 13 for that matter.

Gargaune

Magister
I am fully confident New Vegas will be playable in the Fallout 4 engine, and i'm happy about it solely because it will be a good VR experience. Same with Vault 13 for that matter.
Sarcasm aside, if F4NV or any/most of these projects ever release, they likely won't be VR-compatible at a minimum because they require XDI. The F4NV team outright stated it on their Facebook page that between their proprietary UI elements and the XDI requirement, it won't be supported on VR. I'm not sure what the state of F4SE for VR is either.

Poseidon00

Arcane
Sarcasm aside, if F4NV or any/most of these projects ever release, they likely won't be VR-compatible at a minimum because they require XDI. The F4NV team outright stated it on their Facebook page that between their proprietary UI elements and the XDI requirement, it won't be supported on VR. I'm not sure what the state of F4SE for VR is either.

The Script Extenders for VR work fine, as do other extended land mods like Beyond Skyrim - Bruma, but them outright stating no VR support is a big oof.

Gargaune

Magister
The Script Extenders for VR work fine, as do other extended land mods like Beyond Skyrim - Bruma, but them outright stating no VR support is a big oof.
The catch is that Bruma didn't have to mess with any of Skyrim's engine features and UI, but these remake mods like F4NV or presumably Vault 13 need to "correct" Fallout 4's rigid dialogue system. What XDI does is remove Bethesda's mandatory 4-responses per node structure so that modders can create dialogue content with as few or as many choices as they want.

We actually do have an example of this in action out now - TCW's recently released Point Lookout. Apparently, you can actually run in it in VR, but you have to disable preculling (at a massive performance cost) and you won't get the full scope of dialogue for quest progression without XDI. Aside from XDI, F4NV would face additional obstacles because it needs to extend Fo4's default UI with new components, which would then have to be made VR-compatible too, so it really wouldn't be an out-of-the-box aspiration for them.

If you want VR, Fallout: Miami and maybe even Fallout: London might be more interesting to you, since they feature new dialogue content developed for Fo4's platform and I don't think either will be undertaking changes to the UI structure. I'm not sure, though.

Poseidon00

Arcane
The catch is that Bruma didn't have to mess with any of Skyrim's engine features and UI, but these remake mods like F4NV or presumably Vault 13 need to "correct" Fallout 4's rigid dialogue system. What XDI does is remove Bethesda's mandatory 4-responses per node structure so that modders can create dialogue content with as few or as many choices as they want.

We actually do have an example of this in action out now - TCW's recently released Point Lookout. Apparently, you can actually run in it in VR, but you have to disable preculling (at a massive performance cost) and you won't get the full scope of dialogue for quest progression without XDI. Aside from XDI, F4NV would face additional obstacles because it needs to extend Fo4's default UI with new components, which would then have to be made VR-compatible too, so it really wouldn't be an out-of-the-box aspiration for them.

If you want VR, Fallout: Miami and maybe even Fallout: London might be more interesting to you, since they feature new dialogue content developed for Fo4's platform and I don't think either will be undertaking changes to the UI structure. I'm not sure, though.

It's a tad annoying because i'm sure they could do this if they wanted to, I already run VR mods that change the UI of Skyim and Fallout 4. Imagine holding your Pip Boy physically up to your head while navigating menus lmao. I appreciate the commitment to immersion, but no.

If I have to convert these damn things myself I stg there's a change I will overcome my natural laziness and do it.

Gargaune

Magister
Fallout 4 in Starfield engine when?
Right now, right here.

It's a tad annoying because i'm sure they could do this if they wanted to
That's true for a great many things, but you can't fault them for not attempting it. You'd need a willing programmer with the requisite skills to patch XDI, a whole new set of target requirements across your UI extensions, plus the hardly insignificant costs of the VR equipment itself. All to address a relatively niche target demo on an already overwhelming project with (let's face it) less-than-stellar chances of success.

If it comes out, VR fans could always trying patching support in, the variables of the problem would be no different, but right now I'd say it's understandable that devs focus on the main task.

None

Scholar
the update is that it's unfinished and will eventually be scrapped for StarfieldFNV
And that will be scrapped for Fallout 5 New Vegas!

It wouldn't surprise me if the major outcome of most of these projects is to fill out someone's portfolio with created assets. They rarely seem to finish and it always is the in-editor work that is the limit.

Codex Year of the Donut
I assume every autist has a limit to the amount of free work they're willing to do for one of the richest corporations in the world.

Gargaune

Magister
I'm tired, just a quick update on Fallout London - release slated for Q4 2023 (calendar, not fiscal). Apparently got moved from Q3 on account of Starfield. Everyone fears the Todd, even people who want to be Todds.

Other than that, the video's the usual bits and bobs getting featured, plus a couple of wisecracks at CDPR's Yellow Screen of Delay.

P.S. I never felt the NPC avatar things they do in these updates, you know what I mean? I get the idea, but it's a little... off.

Gargaune

Magister
I find it rather pathetic. A lot about this project feels off.
Eh, I wanna cut 'em some slack, various avatars seem to be the "in" thing on YouTube these days, but I just don't think these one land. It feels almost unnerving.

As for the project, I always thought it's a risky proposition taking Fallout out of 'Murica and it's sometimes felt like they went in too on the nose with the British flavour, almost like what a non-Brit would imagine it... But I gotta give it them, they're actually releasing. Capital Wasteland wrapped after Point Lookout, Cascadia died a silent death, Miami is a long way away but definitely-still-coming-trust-me-bro per its devs, and Newer New Vegas is practically on the milk carton.

DeepOcean

Arcane
After being exposed to the sheer autism and inanity that was the Frontier mod, I'm suspicious of all those total conversion mods for modern Bethesda games, I think all the ones that have sane people working on them end being abandoned because the modders are actually sane enough to understand they are wasting their time and the ones that get released, were released because the team is composed of weirdos, troons and pedos and they didnt have anything better to do than creating their sandbox of lunacy to unleash on people.

So, the first task those modders on Fallout London must do is to prove they are reasonably sane.

Gargaune

Magister
How about an update? It's either this or updating my Cyberpunk mods (again!) and, frankly, this seems like less of a hassle.

First up, the big blip on the radar is Fallout: London, for obvious reasons - it's slated to release in 2023 and there ain't that much 2023 left. Team Folon published their Q3 update video last month, though there's nothing particularly juicy in this one.

Now, if the 2023 schedule holds, my money's on it coming around Christmas time, season to be giving and all and well clear of the year's major RPG releases, BG3, Starfield and Phantom Liberty. One issue that might throw a spanner in the works for any scheduling, and I'm guessing that's what they're sitting on for now, is Bethesda's impending update to Fallout 4 which, in typical fashion, runs the risk of breaking fucking everything mod-related:

Some might assume Todd Inc. would loop such a major mod project into their update plans (subject to NDA), especially since Team Folon has had communications with Bethesda staff, but that's not how the Howard operates. Frankly, dropping this update to a 2015 game without warning is guaranteed to piss in a lot of people's cheerios, but it's also likely Bethesda's marketing are also keeping an eye on coordinating with that Amazon TV show that's in the pipeline.

All that aside, Fallout: London does have an interesting opportunity before it - with Starfield having had a mixed reception, the prospect of a traditional new, handcrafted world and more of the traditional Bethesda Game experience might appeal to a lot of disgruntled fans. It'll come down to scope and exploration primarily, though I'm also cautious about how the writing will turn out in the end. Between bug fixes and compatibility for "must-have" mods, I wouldn't expect to play this on release, but it might be something to look forward by Easter.

Next up, I'd like to take a moment to cover TCW's Point Lookout rebuild, having finally played it. Did the main quest then chased down the trail of some Communisty spy, dug up some super-duper evil Cthulhu book and roamed around the swamp whacking hillbillies (swampbillies?) and stealing their moonshine. It's not a huge chunk of content, it's DLC-sized as opposed to an expansion like Far Harbor, but I had fun for a few good hours. In a smaller package, the Fallout 3 aesthetic made for an interesting change of pace in Fallout 4's updated engine, that more muted and dreary visual tone. Audio-wise, the lack of a soundtrack to the exterior worlspace kinda made things creepier in a way, and the (almost complete) VO is usually quite competent.

Negatives, while the content is solid and fully playable, I think it was still due one more patch QA-wise. Ran into the odd bug with a missing fence texture (though that might be on my end) and one of those bank voice recordings, and there's two minor NPCs still missing VO, but it was mostly smooth sailing. Balance is quite off though especially with regard to loot distribution - you'll absolutely drown in Stimpaks, but Purified Water is at a definite premium. The mod also illustrated one of my gripes with these projects rebuilding existing assets, since aside from a questionable use of labour and mod compatibility you also get some issues with items stacking, but that's a minor aside.

In a nutshell, it's a good package and definitely worth checking out. For those of you who'd like the voiced protagonist back, there's also a mod with basic ElevenLabs-generated voiceovers that just about does the job.

I did also end up checking out Project Mojave, though there's not much to say, it's a cute little demo and nothing more. It covers the area between Primm and Nipton as well as the Strip, you go around shooting a few critters, taking in the sights and trying out the gambling minigames as a novelty. There's a whole lot of new weapon and armour assets you can check out as well as three settlement spaces in the wasteland and three player homes in the casinos, and you can build some of the new stuff in your settlements. There's one guy who set out to "expand" the mod's worldspace, but I think it's fair to say this project's pretty much done.

Fallout: Cascadia hasn't had a single YouTube or Twitter update since their call for voice actors a year ago, and it's probably dead. I should cross it off the OP but I can't be arsed right now.

The guys over at Fallout: Miami haven't had any more "official" updates, but they're still doing dev streams on a semi-regular basis. That said, the general stance is that it'll be done when it's done and that it's nowhere near any form of completion or scheduling, they're in it for the long haul. Which, I have to admit, is making me do a 180 on my initial expectations and suspect that it won't be done.

As for Fallout 4: New Vegas, I fear it's on its way to die the silent death that many of these projects eventually do. Their last Facebook post was from July, showing off another weapon group, and they hadn't had any substantial updates since the split with Mojave's authors over a year ago in any case. I'd love to be wrong, but it's quite likely this will have gone the same way as Cascadia - no obituary, just quietly into the night.

Finally, this one's on a bit of a different track, but some guy recently published a WIP Fallout 3/NV to Fallout 4 converter utility. Right now it ports all levels and objects, but equipment isn't functional and NPCs, quests and scripts don't get carried over yet.

Convert models and plugins made for Fallout 3 / Fallout: New Vegas to Fallout 4. The main exe will convert the Fallout: New Vegas base game to Fallout 4 (currently excluding NPCs, creatures and other gameplay elements). The tools inside can convert any other model/plugin made for these games to make them compatible with Fallout 4.

75425-1698419833-1167856725.png

Obviously, its benefits right now are purely academic. Even if completed, you'd mostly be playing Fallout 3/NV with better lighting and a worse skills system. I imagine it would've been interesting as a development tool when F4NV and TCW were starting out, just to have the worldspace laid down as a base to then upgrade/replace as needed, Ship of Theseus-style, but it's a moot point now. Still, an interesting artifact.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom